McKay not traveling to OSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
If Iowa State wins Wednesday and Burton looks good doing so, and McKay earns his way back onto the team, I will be interested to see who starts on Saturday.

I would guess McKay's next games minutes will be as a bench player, even if Burton does not play well on Wednesday.

Jacktronic

MONDAYTUESDAYWEDNESDAYTHURSDAYFRIDAYSATURDAYSUNDAY
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 16, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I don't doubt anyone here and agree with minimum 2 game suspension, but where are you guys seeing this? I can't find anything definitive on twitter.

Edit: Ignore me, I see it now.

leschmick1785

Jul 12, 2013
I think people are reading too much into his posting of the one game tweet. If a coach comes to me and tells me that I am suspended indefinitely and tells me exactly what I have to do (attitude) to end the suspension and that the end of the suspension is entirely up to me then it wouldn't be out of line for me to respond to the coach that I accept that and I will work hard to make sure it isn't more than the one game. If I told that to the coach and then turned around and said that it was going to be a one game suspension (because I realized my mistakes and was making amends) then why as a coach would you suspend that player for another game when you see him making an effort to immediately do what it takes to get back in the good graces?

We don't know that this is how it went, but we don't know it isn't either. Just knowledge that he posted that is incomplete information for people to say that they would immediately extend the suspension if they were the coach.

That being said, let's hope he is taking this to heart and we start seeing the same player who was D Player of the Year last year. If that guy starts showing up it is going to be a very interesting finish to the Big 12 season.

So you don't have a problem with a player undermining/contradicting the coach in the media and on social media? Interesting.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I don't believe people are reading into it too much at all. It was dumb for him to post it and given the information that the public knew on the surface it looked like he was undermining his coach. Social media is part of his problem, he should take a lesson from George and stay off it for awhile because he's caused plenty of chaos this season with some of the stuff he's posted. I thought WRNL did a good job showing some examples of that: http://www.widerightnattylite.com/2016/2/7/10930300/trying-to-make-sense-of-jameel-mckays-suspension What kind of reaction did he think he was going to get with some of that stuff?

Well said. The fact that his tweet got air time on the broadcast from the commentators and media ran with it, it then forces it to continue to be an issue that Prohm needs to address.

These coaches have a lot they manage in prepping for games, etc...they don't like dealing with other stuff like this publically.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I think people are reading too much into his posting of the one game tweet. If a coach comes to me and tells me that I am suspended indefinitely and tells me exactly what I have to do (attitude) to end the suspension and that the end of the suspension is entirely up to me then it wouldn't be out of line for me to respond to the coach that I accept that and I will work hard to make sure it isn't more than the one game. If I told that to the coach and then turned around and said that it was going to be a one game suspension (because I realized my mistakes and was making amends) then why as a coach would you suspend that player for another game when you see him making an effort to immediately do what it takes to get back in the good graces?

We don't know that this is how it went, but we don't know it isn't either. Just knowledge that he posted that is incomplete information for people to say that they would immediately extend the suspension if they were the coach.

That being said, let's hope he is taking this to heart and we start seeing the same player who was D Player of the Year last year. If that guy starts showing up it is going to be a very interesting finish to the Big 12 season.

First of all that little scenario you laid out as to what was said between the two is just hypothetical, and you are basing it only on McKay's actions.

McKay went on social media, and met with a local reporter and in both cases contradicted what his coach was saying. I'm sorry, but that is just a dumb, immature move.

It is very likely that McKay's actions with the tweet and with the reporter are what is continuing the suspension. He put Prohm in a position where he had to make it go more than one game, or it would look like the player was running the program, and Prohm would risk losing credibility. He couldn't let that happen.

Make no mistake...........McKay has brought all of this on himself.

Last edited:

CyFan03

Jun 5, 2010
Ames
First of all that little scenario you laid out as to what was said between the two is just hypothetical, and you are basing it only on McKay's actions.

McKay went on social media, and met with a local reporter and in both cases contradicted what his coach was saying. I'm sorry, but that is just a dumb, immature move.

Yep.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Hallice was late, and Jameel quit practice, saying he was done with the team.

Isn't that what happened?
True, but I had heard both were a result of attitude issues. Showing up late isn't as bad as missing, but they were kinda similar.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
I remember the guy who thought carrying around a stop sign was a good way to make it to the NFL.

That guy ended the season on the Cowboys active roster. Maybe he knew more about sign carrying than we gave him credit for.

Last edited:

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale

This

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
So is Jameel a bit of a "cancer" at this point?[/QUOTE

Has been all year. Hope he can shape up the next few months but I'm not holding my breath.

The written apology is a step in the right direction but let's see how he responds when he things don't go his way.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

It is very likely that McKay's actions with the tweet and with the reporter are what is continuing the suspension. He put Prohm in a position where he had to make it go more than one game, or it would look like the player was running the program, and Prohm would risk losing credibility. He couldn't let that happen.

Make no mistake...........McKay has brought all of this on himself.

You nailed it.

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
I hope Coach Prohm is tough on his stance and makes McKay sit at least 1 more game for that stupid "just 1 game" tweet. That's a perfect example of the sense of entitlement kind of attitude problem this team has had all season long and what we saw against OSU was finally a TEAM effort win even if it was of the ugly variety - especially in the early part of the game. I'm glad that Coach Prohm is not letting this team just do as they please and letting McKay get away with his childish attitude that is hurting the chemistry on this team. They finally have bought into playing some defense and George even joked about that after the game saying something about now that Fred is gone they have to play some defense for a change.

Hopefully Jameel comes back motivated and with a better attitude and this team starts playing it's best basketall of the season going into March. I think it will be a good thing if this team has to play as a 4 or 5 seed, it takes a little bit of the pressure and expectations off them and hopefully makes them a little hungrier to have a deep run and avoid the letdown like what happened last year.

Regarding your "ugly variety" comment. True enough! This is awesome, remember the years when our best player takes over the 2nd half after being quiet the 1st half and our 3 pt shooter goes nuts all while on the road was a Quality, Well Rounded Win and we needed to build off of the momentum. Now we call it ugly. Man o man have we evolved. Cyclone Basketball is fun. If that is ugly, sign me up for another ugly win please. I remember the years we didnt stand a chance of winning on the road and winning in Hilton was only a 50/50 chance.

I for one am making the best out of the McKay situation. Let's take the A&M game for instance. Georges tosses him a lob and Jameel misses the dunk. Then he proceeds to flail his arms, jumps up and down slamming the ground with his feet. I turn and look at my young kids and say "Now see how ridiculous you look when you do that?" It worked too, when the Panthers made yet another turnover last night, I could see my 9 year old start contemplating a similar meltdown but he remember McKay and the lil guy kept his composure and only muttered under his breath.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
True, but I had heard both were a result of attitude issues. Showing up late isn't as bad as missing, but they were kinda similar.

Jameel's bad attitude has lapped Cooke's bad attitude a few times. Jameel has been whining for some time.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
That guy ended the season on the Cowboys active roster. Maybe he knew more about sign carry in than we gave him credit for.

Not only on the active roster but making plays. The Cowboys commentators were constantly talking him up... i'm guessing that Mr Irving will end up with at least a 1 year contract and see if he can continue to make plays....

As a cowboy fan - it was fun to cheer on a Cyclone wearing the Star....dont happen very often...

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I for one am making the best out of the McKay situation. Let's take the A&M game for instance. Georges tosses him a lob and Jameel misses the dunk. Then he proceeds to flail his arms, jumps up and down slamming the ground with his feet. I turn and look at my young kids and say "Now see how ridiculous you look when you do that?" It worked too, when the Panthers made yet another turnover last night, I could see my 9 year old start contemplating a similar meltdown but he remember McKay and the lil guy kept his composure and only muttered under his breath.

Wait til they turn 30 and are playing in the City League semi finals, it's like starting over again. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron