MBB Player Leaves

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Much of this thread could have been avoided if the actual player would have been mentioned in the first post with a good old rumor disclaimer.

No one is asking for everything posted here to be fact, as long as ya present that it's a rumor for right now.

But anyways...this stinks...but I'm not surprised. He just didn't seem to fit - even in the summer league. For those of you that saw him in the summer, you know what I mean.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Why? Why is Vette leaving? If it is homesickness, that is seriously weak.

I don't get the 'homesickness' thing. I took a look at his recruiting class; it included kids from California, New Hampshire, and Texas. How far is Waverly, Iowa, from Ames? Not very far, from a quick look at a map. Heck, I'm from Council Bluffs, which is a lot further away, and I still got to go home as often as I liked when I was at ISU.

Jesus, its different for every kid. I know I was homesick as hell living 5 hours away. Don't ridicule him because he wants to be home.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
Well, I would like this not to drag out so we can jump on some sort of Decent low post player for next year.
Maybe a few more players will leave also this year to stick the knife in a little deeper.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I think the homesickness is more due to being on the BBall team as he probably can't get home much, but that is just a guess.

St. Lou Clone

Apr 11, 2006
You know, you all crack me up.

One week Brister leaves, and it's.... "oh if he doesn't want to play this way, let him leave." or "If he doesn't want to be a Cyclone, he can get off the team."

And now, Vette leaves and it's "he should just man up." or "how homesick could he be, he is only a little ways from home."

How are these two stories all that different?

Well there is one obvious point....

one is a guard and one is a forward. They do share in common that they both weren't going to get a lot of PT going forward.

If Vette stayed, I don't think he was a realistic option down the road as a starter. I sure hoped they were going to recruit over him. He had a good picture on Rivals, but that wasn't the player I saw when I saw pictures of him. I have a feeling that he wasn't going to be a typical big 12 player.

That being said, I always like to see a couple of Iowa kids on the roster, I think they add some stability. But, it sounds like in this case he wasn't going to add any stability.

I hope he has a good rest of his college career, and good luck finding a new team. I really do wish him well.

Realistically, this loss doesn't seem as important as the Brister one earlier this year. We have a few bigs right now, don't need them as much as we need guards.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
I had heard that supposedly Vette told Mac that he'd leave if he was redshirted.... I have a feeling that playing time might be a factor.

However, I don't know this for sure or anything, so who's to say. But I'd be more inclined to think that it is more because of that than straight homesickness, although that could also be a factor.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I understand the reasoning that every kid is different and some people are more likely to be homesick, but as a D1 collegiate athlete, you know what kind of commitment it is going to take to be on the team. He knew he would be practicing all the time. I'm sure most of the other players miss their families too, but they are getting a free education for playing basketball... you can't be too picky.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Much of this thread could have been avoided if the actual player would have been mentioned in the first post with a good old rumor disclaimer.

No one is asking for everything posted here to be fact, as long as ya present that it's a rumor for right now.

But anyways...this stinks...but I'm not surprised. He just didn't seem to fit - even in the summer league. For those of you that saw him in the summer, you know what I mean.

Can't please everyone, I guess.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I understand the reasoning that every kid is different and some people are more likely to be homesick, but as a D1 collegiate athlete, you know what kind of commitment it is going to take to be on the team. He knew he would be practicing all the time. I'm sure most of the other players miss their families too, but they are getting a free education for playing basketball... you can't be too picky.

If this is something he's never done before, how could he fully understand what he was getting into until he experienced it?

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I had heard that supposedly Vette told Mac that he'd leave if he was redshirted.... I have a feeling that playing time might be a factor.

However, I don't know this for sure or anything, so who's to say. But I'd be more inclined to think that it is more because of that than straight homesickness, although that could also be a factor.

If that is true and after the decommit you have to wonder about the kid. The best thing for him would have been to redshirt. A redshirt year for a kid like that would have made him such a better player in the future.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Well did ya see what happened? Pretty much every player on our team was listed here. Just a bunch of wild speculation...causing a stir.

Just an opinion - not upset or gonna lose sleep over it. :)

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Why does it seem like young players are less and less patient with getting playing time nowadays? Vette should be smart enough to see that he would be relied on heavily next season after Hubalek is gone. If its not the homesickness thing and is PT instead, I just don't get why some of the guys McD has recruited seem to think they're entitled to lots of PT right away.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
So what will be his unofficial reason for leaving?
Home sickness? Playing Time? Grades? Any combination of those?

Disappointing that ISU has to suffer through yet another year of player attrition.

clones11

Apr 2, 2006
Marion
if this leaves a scholarship open it might be a good thing because we can look more towards the future. i didn't see vette being the future of isu but if our 2010 class we could get evan anderson jordan dykstra harrsion barnes and darrius stevens the future could be extremely bright

Nov 22, 2006
Wow people!! I love how there are 20 different reasons on why Vette may be leaving. The fact is that nobody here knows the real reason, but I will tell you why he is not leaving.....He is not leaving b/c GMAC wanted him to redshirt. You know how I know this?!?! B/C he can't!! He has already played. So him saying that he would leave if GMAC redshirted his bull, b/c it isn't true.

Also let's wait until we hear something official before we start writing how this kid is a pansy for being homesick. We need stability in this program more than anything right now and it is frustrating to not see it. When was the last time we had a stable program? When Orr was the coach?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron