Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
So I watched Walanda Forever the other night. Not impressed. Just kind of blah. I think that they’re going a little crazy with the diversity and inclusion now…obviously that is to be expected in a BP movie, but almost all the replacement avengers are either female or minority. I get it, but it’s a little overboard imo.

But besides that, I just don’t find many of the new characters all that interesting. Other than GoG, I might be out and even GoG may have run it’s course. It was cool seeing Namor fly around, but that was the highlight of the movie for me.

If you compare what Star Wars is doing on + with what marvel is doing, it’s not even close.

• Winner
Reactions: Gorm

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
So I watched Walanda Forever the other night. Not impressed. Just kind of blah. I think that they’re going a little crazy with the diversity and inclusion now…obviously that is to be expected in a BP movie, but almost all the replacement avengers are either female or minority. I get it, but it’s a little overboard imo.

But besides that, I just don’t find many of the new characters all that interesting. Other than GoG, I might be out and even GoG may have run it’s course. It was cool seeing Namor fly around, but that was the highlight of the movie for me.

If you compare what Star Wars is doing on + with what marvel is doing, it’s not even close.

A lot of people liked Wakanda Forever. I just wasn't one of them. They should have recast T'Challa and the movie would have been better for it.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA

Phase 4 wasn't the start of the "M-She-U", but it firmly cemented it.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
A lot of people liked Wakanda Forever. I just wasn't one of them. They should have recast T'Challa and the movie would have been better for it.
I was fine with it as a memorial to Boseman, even to the point of killing the character, but the rest of the movie was mostly just woof. The detour to find the "American scientist" was just a mess. The "Atlantis" travelogue didn't land. The battle set pieces I thought were good and Angela Basset was a great, but too much of the movie was "why are we doing this again?".

• Agree
Reactions: bos

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I was fine with it as a memorial to Boseman, even to the point of killing the character, but the rest of the movie was mostly just woof. The detour to find the "American scientist" was just a mess. The "Atlantis" travelogue didn't land. The battle set pieces I thought were good and Angela Basset was a great, but too much of the movie was "why are we doing this again?".
It’s also about 30 minutes too long. That’s my biggest gripe is they needed and easily could have tightened up the story. Namor being a bad ass wasn’t used enough either. That guy is so cool and yet again didn’t just quite get there with him.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: houjix

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
It’s also about 30 minutes too long. That’s my biggest gripe is they needed and easily could have tightened up the story. Namor being a bad ass was used enough either. That guy is so cool and yet again didn’t just quite get there with him.
I hope however they bring him in moving forward makes it better. I was mostly ok with the changes made to him but geographically it didn’t make much sense to me. Had a hard time getting through how quickly they were at each other in various parts.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Phase 4 wasn't the start of the "M-She-U", but it firmly cemented it.
What's sad is that I thought they initially did a great job of having some strong female characters that just fit nicely into the story without being too heavy-handed. Black Widow, Wanda, Gamora, Captain Marvel, Wasp, Peggy Carter, Suri, Okoye, etc

That scene in Endgame where all of the female characters gathered at the final fight, though? Cringe. In the theater, I heard my wife audibly go 'Oh Jesus Christ" before looking at me and giving me the biggest eye roll ever. She took more offense to it than me. I'm sure it hit with some people, but they had done such a good job integrating the strong female characters into a lot of stories without beating the audience across the skull with it. I'm not sure why they needed to add it.

It got me thinking about when I was growing up, there were limited female "action" stars that didn't feel forced. Some good ones off the top of my head: Sigourney Weaver in Aliens, Linda Hamilton in Terminator, Milla Jovovich in 5th Element and Resident Evil, Carrie Anne-Moss in Matrix, and of course Michelle Yeoh in every damn thing she did.

If you write a good enough character, you don't need to point out their gender.

Gorm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
What's sad is that I thought they initially did a great job of having some strong female characters that just fit nicely into the story without being too heavy-handed. Black Widow, Wanda, Gamora, Captain Marvel, Wasp, Peggy Carter, Suri, Okoye, etc

Agreed. Arguably the most powerful "female" super heros that they could use in the MCU, Storm or Jean Grey, weren't available until recently. The success of the first Wonder Women film made Disney look at their slate of available characters and made them realize that none of them were built up or had the following that Wonder Women does for DC. So they tried to build up their own female characters. The "building" of these characters usually came at the direct expense of the male counterpart. (Cough female Thor Cough Loki, Cough).
I loved the treatment of Black Widow and Peggy Carter early on. However, many of those movies were made when Disney did not control Marvel Studios.

That scene in Endgame where all of the female characters gathered at the final fight, though? Cringe. In the theater, I heard my wife audibly go 'Oh Jesus Christ" before looking at me and giving me the biggest eye roll ever. She took more offense to it than me. I'm sure it hit with some people, but they had done such a good job integrating the strong female characters into a lot of stories without beating the audience across the skull with it. I'm not sure why they needed to add it.

Agreed! That scene really busted the flow of that fight and it was all too painfully obvious that the scene was inserted for "the message" rather than fighting Thanos.

It got me thinking about when I was growing up, there were limited female "action" stars that didn't feel forced. Some good ones off the top of my head: Sigourney Weaver in Aliens, Linda Hamilton in Terminator, Milla Jovovich in 5th Element and Resident Evil, Carrie Anne-Moss in Matrix, and of course Michelle Yeoh in every damn thing she did.

If you write a good enough character, you don't need to point out their gender.

Bingo. Many actors or actress protrayals of characters feel forced because their hiring was due to "diversity reasons." (Trying to keep this out of the cave.)

At the end of the day, if I'm watching a movie, I do not care if the actor or actress is a "POC", I only care if they are a POT. (Person of Talent.)

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
It’s also about 30 minutes too long. That’s my biggest gripe is they needed and easily could have tightened up the story. Namor being a bad ass was used enough either. That guy is so cool and yet again didn’t just quite get there with him.
Unfortunately this is the case with almost all movies nowadays, but especially Marvel. They’re all about 30 minutes too long. Tighten things up, guys! Brevity is the soul of wit!

Reactions: jctisu and bos

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
That scene in Endgame was a nod to A-Force. It was also an FU to DC saying, "oh you've got 1 female hero, well look at the this." Not saying it wasn't cringe and could have bee done more organically, but not like I'm going to never watch the film again because of the scene.

At the end of the day, if I'm watching a movie, I do not care if the actor or actress is a "POC", I only care if they are a POT. (Person of Talent.)

But to some, it does matter. Now, I'd never advocate gender or race swapping a role, specifically where the gender or the race of the character is not central to that character, just to diversify the film. but we've seen plenty of white dudes name Chris in these films. We all want to watch talented actors, but if it can be talented and diverse at the same time, isn't that a good thing?

Gorm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
But to some, it does matter.

The number of people you speak of here, will not and cannot carry a successful box office run. The returns for nearly every phase 4 movie speak for themselves. Obviously Spider-Man is the exception here. Interesting how the best performing movie of Phase 4 was the one Disney had the LEAST to do with (25% by contract.)

We all want to watch talented actors, but if it can be talented and diverse at the same time, isn't that a good thing?

A great example of race swapping in movies and the actor makes the role their own, is Morgan Freeman in Shawshank. In the novel that character is a white Irishman with red hair. This is also why Morgans line "Maybe thats because I'm Irish" doesn't make a lot of sense and is more of a tongue in cheek joke referencing the novel.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
The number of people you speak of here, will not and cannot carry a successful box office run. The returns for nearly every phase 4 movie speak for themselves. Obviously Spider-Man is the exception here. Interesting how the best performing movie of Phase 4 was the one Disney had the LEAST to do with (25% by contract.).
Phase 4 was always destined to be a letdown and the pandemic did them no favors on the box office front. Even still, there was plenty white guy in a lead role to go around. The things that weren't saw varying levels of box office and critical success. The same thing occurred on TV side of things.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Comic book characters change all the time. There's only so many stories to tell about genius billionaire white guys (and don't get me wrong, I love those stories too). I really have no problem with it. That's all I'm going to say on this topic because I like this thread and don't want it to become caved.

Haven't seen Black Panther yet (babies make it hard to go to the movies) but my wife and I are excited to watch this weekend. The 1st one is one of her favorites. I loved Boseman in the role so I'm definitely nervous I won't like this one near as much as the 1st.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
That scene in Endgame was a nod to A-Force. It was also an FU to DC saying, "oh you've got 1 female hero, well look at the this." Not saying it wasn't cringe and could have bee done more organically, but not like I'm going to never watch the film again because of the scene.

But to some, it does matter. Now, I'd never advocate gender or race swapping a role, specifically where the gender or the race of the character is not central to that character, just to diversify the film. but we've seen plenty of white dudes name Chris in these films. We all want to watch talented actors, but if it can be talented and diverse at the same time, isn't that a good thing?
For me, it would be nice to get to a point where casting happens organically and the best person is given the job regardless of race, gender, or sexual orientation. As a white male, I realize that I haven't lived through the past inequalities, so I don't really get a vote to how to best accomplish that. If a little heavy handed representation is what's needed, I'm all for it.

But I do think some of the ways society addresses such things often creates brand new divides. Some people like to take a completely innocuous statement, break out the straw man, and brand someone for being racist or insensitive to show themselves in a better light.

Sigh...If it were an easy problem, we'd have fixed it by now!

I decided to throw this in a spoiler since it's not super-relevant to the thread and I can delete this if needed. Like Clonies, I don't want to cave this thread.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Comic book characters change all the time. There's only so many stories to tell about genius billionaire white guys (and don't get me wrong, I love those stories too). I really have no problem with it. That's all I'm going to say on this topic because I like this thread and don't want it to become caved.

Haven't seen Black Panther yet (babies make it hard to go to the movies) but my wife and I are excited to watch this weekend. The 1st one is one of her favorites. I loved Boseman in the role so I'm definitely nervous I won't like this one near as much as the 1st.
Reports are that it has looked really dark on TVs. I remember a lot of night scenes and underwater scenes during the film, so I can see how this might be the case. I haven't yet watched it on Disney+, so I can't comment first hand.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
The number of people you speak of here, will not and cannot carry a successful box office run. The returns for nearly every phase 4 movie speak for themselves. Obviously Spider-Man is the exception here. Interesting how the best performing movie of Phase 4 was the one Disney had the LEAST to do with (25% by contract.)

A great example of race swapping in movies and the actor makes the role their own, is Morgan Freeman in Shawshank. In the novel that character is a white Irishman with red hair. This is also why Morgans line "Maybe thats because I'm Irish" doesn't make a lot of sense and is more of a tongue in cheek joke referencing the novel.
God did Freeman nail it too. That will forever be one of my favorite roles for him.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Reports are that it has looked really dark on TVs. I remember a lot of night scenes and underwater scenes during the film, so I can see how this might be the case. I haven't yet watched it on Disney+, so I can't comment first hand.
I heard that too. I'm gonna try to get to it this weekend. I'm planning on watching it in the darkest room in my house and hope the contrast helps out. I found that worked during the big white walker fight scene for Game of Thrones.