For those who have seen it.. Venom: Thumbs up or Thumbs Down

• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I heard that too. I'm gonna try to get to it this weekend. I'm planning on watching it in the darkest room in my house and hope the contrast helps out. I found that worked during the big white walker fight scene for Game of Thrones.
Holy crap, that episode was a mess. Took us about 15 minutes to find the right combination of settings to see that episode that night. I have it on Blu-ray, but haven't re-watched it to see it the color mix is any better.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
and the pandemic did them no favors on the box office front.

The pandemic excuse for no box office results ended with Top Gun Maverick.
Even still, there was plenty white guy in a lead role to go around.

If the character is accurate to the comic book reference material, why is that an issue?

The same thing occurred on TV side of things.

Nearly all of the MCU TV content is cringe at best, and sloppy at worst. She-Hulk had issues all over the place due to sloppy story writing, junk editing, and some of the worst CGI yet seen in an MCU IP. The same thing is happening to Star Wars as well.

• Agree
Reactions: bos

Gorm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Reports are that it has looked really dark on TVs. I remember a lot of night scenes and underwater scenes during the film, so I can see how this might be the case. I haven't yet watched it on Disney+, so I can't comment first hand.

Disney has started making scenes "darker" (in terms of gradient and overall color) in order to hide less than perfect CGI and cover other issues. A great example of this is the first Obi-Wan vs Vader fight in the Obi-Wan series.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Nearly all of the MCU TV content is cringe at best, and sloppy at worst. She-Hulk had issues all over the place due to sloppy story writing, junk editing, and some of the worst CGI yet seen in an MCU IP. The same thing is happening to Star Wars as well.
Yay, no. There's plenty of that content that was good even if it isn't for you and the CGI issues have been well documented as to why. Clearly you have your opinion and you are entitled to that, but I think I'm going to follow suit with others and not get this thread caved.

Gorm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
There's plenty of that content that was good even if it isn't for you and the CGI issues have been well documented as to why. Clearly you have your opinion and you are entitled to that, but I think I'm going to follow suit with others and not get this thread caved.

Agreed.

The dismal Disney+ revenue numbers suggest a lot of people are thinking the same way as me, and are voting with their wallets. :)

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Agreed.

The dismal Disney+ revenue numbers suggest a lot of people are thinking the same way as me, and are voting with their wallets. :)
3rd biggest streaming service in the world. Even if NA numbers are lower than competitors, they are still doing fine in the grand scheme of things. Probably another reason why they aren't making all of their content for the typical guy in Iowa. The world's a big and varied place.

Gorm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
3rd biggest streaming service in the world. Even if NA numbers are lower than competitors, they are still doing fine in the grand scheme of things. Probably another reason why they aren't making all of their content for the typical guy in Iowa. The world's a big and varied place.

Disney plus was in such a financial downfall six months ago that Bob Capek moved unused funds earmarked for the Disney Channel over to shore D+ up.

In the "grand scheme" of things, streaming in general is way over saturated in the marketplace. This has led to nearly every streaming company having financial issues. The entire industry is now undergoing a course correction.

I will agree a guy in Iowa isn't Disney's target demographic. Although, their chosen demographic isn't buying their content enough to support the service. Eventually, the bean counters at Disney are going to force a direction change. In fact, the Disney "Civil War" has already started:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Obviously Spider-Man is the exception here. Interesting how the best performing movie of Phase 4 was the one Disney had the LEAST to do with (25% by contract.)

It’s not interesting at all actually. It had its biggest star returning and played off of 20 years of nostalgia. The other 75% of that equation has given us a long line of trash superhero movies like freaking Morbius.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Disney plus was in such a financial downfall six months ago that Bob Capek moved unused funds earmarked for the Disney Channel over to shore D+ up.

In the "grand scheme" of things, streaming in general is way over saturated in the marketplace. This has led to nearly every streaming company having financial issues. The entire industry is now undergoing a course correction.

I will agree a guy in Iowa isn't Disney's target demographic. Although, their chosen demographic isn't buying their content enough to support the service. Eventually, the bean counters at Disney are going to force a direction change. In fact, the Disney "Civil War" has already started:

Right, but to act like this is a unique position to Disney+ based on their content is disingenuous. We're past the growth phase of streaming and now they are in the trying to monetize beyond just subscribers phase. It's why ad-supported tiers are becoming a bigger deal, as well as the crackdowns on password sharing to get the unmonetized watchers. We're also moving past the cheap, introductory prices for some of them.

In addition, consolidation is happening. HBOMax and Discovery+ are going to become one. Showtime will now be a premium sub under Paramount+. Eventually, Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ will get fully squished together. They are trying to cut costs by eliminating redundant labor required to manage these systems.

Gorm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
It’s not interesting at all actually. It had its biggest star returning and played off of 20 years of nostalgia. The other 75% of that equation has given us a long line of trash superhero movies like freaking Morbius.

Its interesting in the fact that it is the ONLY phase 4 movie to meet the expectations of the industry.

I agree that those other elements did play a significant role. It was also the first movie to bring in "the masses" after the Pandemic. This was good and bad, as its sucess was used as a bellwether for the movies after. Multiverse, Thor, and Wakonda could not meet this level of successes in terms of box office PROFIT.

Disney had 0% to do with Morbius which was a train wreck. However, Sony had 0% to do with the epic disaster know as Thor Love and Thunder. Everyone always thinks their movies are good, but the audiences get the final say.

Gorm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Right, but to act like this is a unique position to Disney+ based on their content is disingenuous.

The content offered by a streaming channel determines the viability of that platform as a service. Its entirely appropriate to critique the content of a streaming service. Especially when its a publicly traded company.
It's why ad-supported tiers are becoming a bigger deal, as well as the crackdowns on password sharing to get the unmonetized watchers. We're also moving past the cheap, introductory prices for some of them.
I can't wait for the ad movement to take hold for all companies. Most streaming companies refuse to release viewership data as its more than likely always going to be spun into a negative for them. You can't hide this type of information from advertisers. Once every streaming service has an advertisement teir, you have to report to your advertisers how many people saw their ads. These numbers will be leaked / made public on purpose.
In addition, consolidation is happening. HBOMax and Discovery+ are going to become one. Showtime will now be a premium sub under Paramount+. Eventually, Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ will get fully squished together. They are trying to cut costs by eliminating redundant labor required to manage these systems.

HBOmax and Discovery+ is a result of a massive media merger between WB and Discovery. While the streaming services were part of that, they were a smaller detail in the overall merger. A lot of the smaller services just got cut off immediately. (Cough CNN+ Cough)

Disney is being FORCED by contract to buy Hulu here soon for 27.5 billion. I'm sure they are looking forward to that.

I think we will continue to see some more consolidation, but I think the companies will try to "win" over each others customer's first in the mean time. Its going to get worse before it gets better.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Its interesting in the fact that it is the ONLY phase 4 movie to meet the expectations of the industry.

I agree that those other elements did play a significant role. It was also the first movie to bring in "the masses" after the Pandemic. This was good and bad, as its sucess was used as a bellwether for the movies after. Multiverse, Thor, and Wakonda could not meet this level of successes in terms of box office PROFIT.

Disney had 0% to do with Morbius which was a train wreck. However, Sony had 0% to do with the epic disaster know as Thor Love and Thunder. Everyone always thinks their movies are good, but the audiences get the final say.

This is where some argue that a studio's companion streaming services have hurt themselves. There is a growing contingent the say they won't bother seeing it in the theater (for a multitude of reasons) when they know it is coming to a streaming service they already pay for. Same for the home video market. Outside of the Spider-man films, the last physical or digital copy I've bought for anything Disney was for Endgame.

I think we will continue to see some more consolidation, but I think the companies will try to "win" over each others customer's first in the mean time. Its going to get worse before it gets better.

Whether some like it or not, this is essentially the ala carte cable that many were clamoring for back in the day, just not how they though they would get it. What consumers didn't anticipate was a bunch of walled gardens. They got spoiled by Netflix 1.0 having large amounts of popular content on one service. Once other studios figured out that they could make more money (at least short term) by doing it themselves, we got what we have today.

Gorm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
This is where some argue that a studio's companion streaming services have hurt themselves. There is a growing contingent the say they won't bother seeing it in the theater (for a multitude of reasons) when they know it is coming to a streaming service they already pay for. Same for the home video market. Outside of the Spider-man films, the last physical or digital copy I've bought for anything Disney was for Endgame.

Agreed. I only buy the 4K Blurays on movies I want the top quality on for my system. (The speakers and projector are so finely tuned, they magnify the issues with streaming compression. :( )

Whether some like it or not, this is essentially the ala carte cable that many were clamoring for back in the day, just not how they though they would get it. What consumers didn't anticipate was a bunch of walled gardens. They got spoiled by Netflix 1.0 having large amounts of popular content on one service. Once other studios figured out that they could make more money (at least short term) by doing it themselves, we got what we have today.

Also agreed! Everyone in the 90's were screaming for "ala carte cable", well we did get there somewhat.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
What's sad is that I thought they initially did a great job of having some strong female characters that just fit nicely into the story without being too heavy-handed. Black Widow, Wanda, Gamora, Captain Marvel, Wasp, Peggy Carter, Suri, Okoye, etc

That scene in Endgame where all of the female characters gathered at the final fight, though? Cringe. In the theater, I heard my wife audibly go 'Oh Jesus Christ" before looking at me and giving me the biggest eye roll ever. She took more offense to it than me. I'm sure it hit with some people, but they had done such a good job integrating the strong female characters into a lot of stories without beating the audience across the skull with it. I'm not sure why they needed to add it.

It got me thinking about when I was growing up, there were limited female "action" stars that didn't feel forced. Some good ones off the top of my head: Sigourney Weaver in Aliens, Linda Hamilton in Terminator, Milla Jovovich in 5th Element and Resident Evil, Carrie Anne-Moss in Matrix, and of course Michelle Yeoh in every damn thing she did.

If you write a good enough character, you don't need to point out their gender.
Excellent post. I loved the female characters they brought in organically. I mean, the strongest avenger was probably Wanda followed by captain marvel and I had no problem with that. That scene in endgame was total cringe and not necessary. It disrupted the movie and didn’t need to.

It’s a lot now when you look at the potential replacements for Thor, iron man, hulk, hawkeye, black panther all girls. Maybe I’m wrong but the only potential guys on the team are spider man, Shang chi, namor, moon knight.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Excellent post. I loved the female characters they brought in organically. I mean, the strongest avenger was probably Wanda followed by captain marvel and I had no problem with that. That scene in endgame was total cringe and not necessary. It disrupted the movie and didn’t need to.

It’s a lot now when you look at the potential replacements for Thor, iron man, hulk, hawkeye, black panther all girls. Maybe I’m wrong but the only potential guys on the team are spider man, Shang chi, namor, moon knight.
Thor is still a guy... Also Hulk has still been involved. Ant-Man, Captain America, the new Falcon, Winter Soldier, Star Lord, Drax, Nick Fury, Loki,and Kang is a guy. Isn't Blade coming and they have Deadpool now. I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of and will be more added.

Disney isn't stupid they know a lot of nerdy guys like us watch this stuff. There will always be plenty of relatable stuff for us

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Thor is still a guy... Also Hulk has still been involved. Ant-Man, Captain America, the new Falcon, Winter Soldier, Star Lord, Drax, Nick Fury, Loki,and Kang is a guy. Isn't Blade coming and they have Deadpool now. I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of and will be more added.

Disney isn't stupid they know a lot of nerdy guys like us watch this stuff. There will always be plenty of relatable stuff for us
Absolutely. MCU isn't going anywhere. Next 5 years are going to be great - inject absolutely every Marvel movie and show and trailer and snippet and literally anything directly into my dorky ass veins, please.

Has been fun to re-watch Wakanda Forever this week. Basset is unreal. Wright stepped up her game too! Winston Duke is also elite. The CGI is just fine. They somehow made Namor's winged feet (literally one of the goofiest and/or weirdest and/or dumbest "superhero" mutant things imaginable) look cool and functional.

It's been said 1 trillion times but deserves one more - RIP Chadwick :(

Reactions: CloniesForLife

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
But let’s be honest, without Morbius we would never have gotten Jared Leto’s epic line, “It’s Morbin’ time.” :p

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Absolutely. MCU isn't going anywhere. Next 5 years are going to be great - inject absolutely every Marvel movie and show and trailer and snippet and literally anything directly into my dorky ass veins, please.

Has been fun to re-watch Wakanda Forever this week. Basset is unreal. Wright stepped up her game too! Winston Duke is also elite. The CGI is just fine. They somehow made Namor's winged feet (literally one of the goofiest and/or weirdest and/or dumbest "superhero" mutant things imaginable) look cool and functional.

It's been said 1 trillion times but deserves one more - RIP Chadwick :(

With the utter failure of phase 4, I've really lost interest in most of the MCU. The one movie I'm really looking forward to though is Blade. I hope they don't try to Disneyfy that storyline.

I actually wish Disney would lease out the rights to some of these series. IMO, the best series in the MCU were done by Netflix. I'd love to see more of those darker series.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I miss Chadwick a lot. He was such a good Black Panther. His entrance into the MCU was flawless. In fact, my favorite appearance of the character was his whole arc in Civil War.
Totally agree. Chadwick was awesome. Finally saw Black Panther 2 and I actually really enjoyed it. Obviously would've been better with Boseman. But it exceeded my expectations. Really liked what they did with Namor and the Atlanteans

Reactions: CycloneErik