Marcus Smart hits a fan

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
so if a video from an aTm game 4 years ago is indicative of this guy being a rabid fan who is only there to provoke opponents of Ttech, then wouldn't the video from just a few weeks ago of Smart throwing a tantrum and kicking chairs be indicative of Marcus having a short fuse and being capable of going off for no reason?

this fan was in the wrong for acting the way he did and I'm sure he realizes that. He's even more in the wrong, IF in fact he said what only those connected to OSU are reporting. but, that absolutely does not excuse Smart putting his hands on anyone. There is nothing anyone can say to anyone else that makes violence okay. nothing at all, no matter how inflammatory. "but he called me .... (insert expletive)" is an excuse for small individuals with no self control.

from my own personal experience (since you believe none of us white people could ever experience anything even remotely similar), I used to work with delinquent juveniles in residential care for behavior, drugs, etc. I have had 16-18 year old kids say to my face the most vile things you can imagine, much worse than an epithet pertaining to race. would I have been well within my right to strike some kid because he said he wanted to rape my wife and kill my child? hell no. not even if they deserved that. you know why? because there is consequences for your actions. "but he said some mean stuff to me" would not have stopped me from losing my job, likely being charged, and never working in that field again.

thanks for labeling everyone who has a different opinion than you as sympathizers of bigotry.
Who did that?

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Absolutely. One would hope that TT can identify and talk to fans near the incident to determine what was said. Had to be at least a few that did.

If they fess up. Otherwise it is he said she said and all they have is the push. That is why you never ever confront someone that is saying stuff.You HAVE to have thick skin.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
IAStubborn: Grayer NEVER hit a Missouri fan. That was completely fabricated in this thread, and you keep perpetuating. Any "confrontation" with Missouri fans was verbal, and actually very civil on Grayer's part. During warmups, he asked the Antlers to stop saying things about his mother, who was sick at the time. They actually showed video of it later in that very game. Sorry to ruin your convenient story.
I asked the question earlier in the thread, (as I included the disclaimer I was 9 and have a fuzzy memory of it) that didnt Lafester go in the stands and hit a fan for chanting about his mother. Numerous posters said that happened with Grayer not Lafester and nobody said my memory of the altercation was wrong. Didn't mean to spread miss information. I don't challenge that you are correct, like I said I had a very vague recollection of it. I will remove the hit reference and thanks for correcting.

Last edited:

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
The Big XII doesn't have the balls to suspend one of their stars. I just don't see it. I hope there is a suspension, but I don't see it happening.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I might be a dumb white guy but even if the guy did say the N word you don't physically react like Smart did. I also seriously doubt the guy used the N word.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
I hate to derail this great thread but do you have evidence of this supposed punch from Grayer? Others on here seem to think you're making that up.

Didn't make it up but sounds like I remembered it wrong. The difference being my intent.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
I might be a dumb white guy but even if the guy did say the N word you don't physically react like Smart did. I also seriously doubt the guy used the N word.
Sure but doesn't it make it at least partly understandable if that is what happened? I have no idea if it did but I think certain circumstances don't justify the behavior but make them more understanable. A Michigan Player shoved multiple Iowa State fans while leaving the floor and a lot of folks felt that was understandable because he was defending his space. Circumstances do provide the lens in which we should judge a situation. Those that see the world in black and white (pushing a fan is always wrong and circumstance mitigates none of that) I ask what if your mom just died and someone yelled she was a wh*re would you still think a player that pushed that guy should get the same punishment as someone who just attacked randomly? I don't, but find interesting to hear those that do. What i gather is that those that hold this view feel that words are never an excuse (which I agree) or even mitigating factors in assessing the blame (which is what I disagree with). If he was called the N word I do think his punishment should be less than if he just outright attacked for no good reason.

Last edited:

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011
I'll defend Smart here a bit....

First - I have no clue how any of you can say "I don't think it was the N word". How the **** do you know? Just spitting **** from your ***? Multiple reports from a few sources stating it was a racial slur yelled at Smart. When you look at the other video of this fan from the A&M game - this guy clearly taunts players. It's a lot more convieveable he did yell a racial slur at Smart than he didn't.

So should Smart have restrained himself? Perhpaps. But how many of you ripping on him from his actions have been victim of bigotry? Assumming that is in fact what happened. It's pretty easy to sit on your couch neve having lived that and stating what another young man should do when people treat him poorly based on the color of his skin. I've certainly never had something like that happen to me but I have witnessed it and it's simply one of the cruelest things you can do to a person.

If this fan is the bigot many claim he is - I hope someone beats the **** out of him. If anything, Smart could be commended for just a shove (he did not HIT this "fan", he shoved him) - rather than an all out beatdown.

Shame on many of you for acting like an N word directed at anyone isn't all that big of a deal.

Who did that?

I'll defend Smart here a bit....

First - I have no clue how any of you can say "I don't think it was the N word". How the **** do you know? Just spitting **** from your ***? Multiple reports from a few sources stating it was a racial slur yelled at Smart. When you look at the other video of this fan from the A&M game - this guy clearly taunts players. It's a lot more convieveable he did yell a racial slur at Smart than he didn't.

So should Smart have restrained himself? Perhpaps. But how many of you ripping on him from his actions have been victim of bigotry? Assumming that is in fact what happened. It's pretty easy to sit on your couch neve having lived that and stating what another young man should do when people treat him poorly based on the color of his skin. I've certainly never had something like that happen to me but I have witnessed it and it's simply one of the cruelest things you can do to a person.

If this fan is the bigot many claim he is - I hope someone beats the **** out of him. If anything, Smart could be commended for just a shove (he did not HIT this "fan", he shoved him) - rather than an all out beatdown.

Shame on many of you for acting like an N word directed at anyone isn't all that big of a deal.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Watching the clip I'd have a hard time believing he said something racist. Also, he is a huge tech bball fan, so you think he's only fans of the white kids? I'd be suing osu and smart for slander.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Racial slurs don't justify physical aggression.

He shoved him. It's not like he threw his *** to the ground and stomped his colon through his mouth. I think his old West Texan *** will survive.

Personally, I don't see what the big damn deal is. Fan was being a ****, he got called out for it. End of story.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
I apologize if someone already mentioned this, but there had to be some 3rd party people within earshot of this incident. Camera crew, security, cheer squad, the kids who mop up wet spots on floor, etc. Certainly Orr and Smart will have their versions, and anyone with Orr could be seen as biased, but I find it hard to believe that Orr shouted something loud enough through all of that commotion for Smart to hear it, yet no one else heard exactly what was said? Someone, somewhere must have heard what was shouted.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron