Mantanona match - Anybody see this!!!

CY22

Sep 14, 2008
IA
Dumb question, but why isn’t this just a disqualification? Seems like chocking people out isn’t really in the spirit of the sport.
I don't think it's a dumb question. The sport has a lot of illegal moves that result in stopping the match and awarding one penalty point going to the other guy. This situation is just one of those weird scenarios that unintentionally resulted in a choking situation... The hold shown in Degen's video is perfectly legal, used a lot in modern wrestling matches, and very rarely results in choking. You could argue that IF Degen submits to the hold he would get pinned but not choked out. Most of wrestling holds and techniques are designed to result in a pin. Any contact sport has a lot of holds, moves and situations that could turn into a injury but you can't prohibit them all.

Part of the problem here is that there was a warning for it before the move that resulted in choking him out/pinning him. Yes there are a lot of moves/positions that are illegal or stopped when ruled "potentially dangerous", but when someone consistently and repetitively performs these during a match they can be DQ'd. Doesn't matter about the intention or not.

Knew a kid back in the day that was DQ'd for too many headlocks without an arm in the hold. Most of the time it was because his opponent knew they could slip their arm out because he didn't lock it in tight enough, would draw the penalty every time. After a few a those in a row during a match, DQ'd because of too many penalties.

This match seems like a clear drop by the officials. Gave him a warning earlier, didn't stick to their guns, and to me the most important part is they forgot their primary role as keeping both athletes safe. Yes they need to call a proper match within the rules, but the "potentially dangerous" call is so subjective they had every right to stop the match. And based off of their warning from earlier, they should have.

/rant

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
I've always been a wrestling fan, always will be. It's an awesome sport, a tough sport, and most of the culture around it is very positive, but like any other sport there are chumps.

In the Mantanona match, the ref absolutely needed to stop that. I understand the subjectivity of various holds, but with the warning earlier in the match, plus, once Wills clearly wasn't going over and both wrestlers were on the mat there was a dangerous amount of pressure on Wills' head and neck. Anyone who has even casually watched MMA or BJJ could see that as a straight-up guillotine choke. Daniel Cormier replied to Willie's tweet with much the same sentiment and that man certainly has his feet firmly in both the wrestling and MMA worlds.

If my kid was choked in the same manner, you better believe I would have plenty to say to that ref. I don't like Mantanona and I think he was pretty aware of what he was doing, but it's the ref's job to keep everyone safe and the wrestlers' jobs to go hard from whistle to whistle. That whistle came WAAAAY too late...That said, I hope Mantanona got reamed by Coach Rosselli. I've always had a lot of respect for Rosselli and have a hard time thinking he would coach any of his guys to intentionally choke a guy.

• Agree
Reactions: CY22

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
I've always been a wrestling fan, always will be. It's an awesome sport, a tough sport, and most of the culture around it is very positive, but like any other sport there are chumps.

In the Mantanona match, the ref absolutely needed to stop that. I understand the subjectivity of various holds, but with the warning earlier in the match, plus, once Wills clearly wasn't going over and both wrestlers were on the mat there was a dangerous amount of pressure on Wills' head and neck. Anyone who has even casually watched MMA or BJJ could see that as a straight-up guillotine choke. Daniel Cormier replied to Willie's tweet with much the same sentiment and that man certainly has his feet firmly in both the wrestling and MMA worlds.

If my kid was choked in the same manner, you better believe I would have plenty to say to that ref. I don't like Mantanona and I think he was pretty aware of what he was doing, but it's the ref's job to keep everyone safe and the wrestlers' jobs to go hard from whistle to whistle. That whistle came WAAAAY too late...That said, I hope Mantanona got reamed by Coach Rosselli. I've always had a lot of respect for Rosselli and have a hard time thinking he would coach any of his guys to intentionally choke a guy.
Yeah I was in the same boat but now any respect I had for him went out the window when he wrestled Mantanona the same weekend against SDSU after this took place.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
Yeah I was in the same boat but now any respect I had for him went out the window when he wrestled Mantanona the same weekend against SDSU after this took place.
Man, I didn't see that.
There definitely should have been some disciplinary action towards Mantanona from Rosselli.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron