Madison, Wisconsin

HoraceGrant

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2011
I'm going to be up in Madison this weekend to visit a friend (actually an enemy, but he doesn't know that yet). Any suggestions on sites to see, restaurants to eat at, bars to get drunk at, etc.?

• Useful
Reactions: NB5K

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Drink lots of Spotted Cow. I had a good time at Jordan's Big Ten Inn last time I was up there

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Lots of cool breweries up there you can check out (Ale Asylum was one of my favorites). The Old Fashioned downtown is a nice spot for food (especially cheese curds) and drinks. Lots of bar options on State Street, just wander down there and you're bound to find a place to your liking. If you don't have fun in Madison, you're not trying hard enough.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

HoraceGrant

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2011
Drink lots of Spotted Cow. I had a good time at Jordan's Big Ten Inn last time I was up there

Planning on picking up a case or two before we head back home for sure. Only had it once, but it was pretty good stuff!

Reactions: CyTwins

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion

To add to this, Spotted Cow is popular for New Glarus beers, however it's nowhere near their best ones. They have amazing bocks, brown ale, and other dark beers. Their brewery is around a half hour outside of Madison.

If you can't get that far, any grocery store will have many types of New Glarus to import back to Iowa.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic and Peter

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Capitol Square and near east side/Williamson Street are best bets. Great Dane, Graze and Old Fashioned are good for local brews and hearty meals.

Not sure of your age range but anything west of the square is pretty much college town USA although the UW Union is nice.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Go get an old fashioned and some cheese curds at The Old Fashioned right on the square by the Capitol. Anything you do in Madison should be a good time though
Ditto on the Old Fashioned. It's a good place, and in a fun area. Lots of good burgers and sandwiches. Really good cheese curds, and a ton of local beers. It can be pretty busy, but well worth it.

The Great Dane is another popular local restaurant. American style bar and grill. It's not quite as good as the Old Fashioned, but still a good place.

If you're going to bring home a bunch of beer, go to Woodman's grocery store.
They seem to have the best prices.

If you want the traditional Wisconsin cheese and sausage to bring home, check out Brennan's. It's a little spendy, but they've got stuff you can't get anywhere else.

Reactions: NB5K and Angie

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
To add to this, Spotted Cow is popular for New Glarus beers, however it's nowhere near their best ones. They have amazing bocks, brown ale, and other dark beers. Their brewery is around a half hour outside of Madison.

If you can't get that far, any grocery store will have many types of New Glarus to import back to Iowa.

Also Ale Asylum, Capitol Brewery, and lots of other Wisconsin beer companies.

I saw Capitol beers in a Hy-Vee in Iowa once a few years ago...not sure what else has crossed the state line.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Ale Asylum and Karben 4 are good brewery stops (they're also about the only ones - Madison has less breweries than you'd assume). I used to be down on Ale, but the wife and I were in town about a month ago and they had a really great IPA line up.

The Old Fashioned is one of my favorite places on the planet. They have excellent Bloody Marys, a full line up of Wisconsin beers, and the food rocks. Amazing cheese curds, and you can get a braunschweiger and onion sandwich with Muenster cheese, grilled summer sausage, and sauerkraut.

Tipsy Cow, Hop Cat (their El Bait Shop), and Paradise Lounge are all fun bars. Paradise is a dive with cheap beer and a loud juke box. It's pretty much perfect.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
You must sample the flavors of Old Sugar Distillery

http://oldsugardistillery.com/

Im a big fan of Queen Jennie whiskey. (And if I want to hurt, their Americanaki Ouzo is great too.)

and yes, echoing Janny, The Dane is my go to every time as well.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Peter and Colorado

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Salvatore's, Pig in a Fur Coat, Lao Laan Xang are great restaurants to try. Spotted Cow is the most over-rated beer in 'Murica.

It's good and overrated. Your statement went way too far considering Bud Light, Coors Lite, and Miller LIte are the top three selling beers in the US.

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
It's good and overrated. Your statement went way too far considering Bud Light, Coors Lite, and Miller LIte are the top three selling beers in the US.

Yet I don't know anyone that would rated Bud/Coors/Miller highly. People do rate Spotted Cow highly which subtly changes the argument.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Yet I don't know anyone that would rated Bud/Coors/Miller highly. People do rate Spotted Cow highly which subtly changes the argument.

I actually prefer their Two Women and Moon Man brews over Spotted Cow these days.

I think their Totally Naked was solid too, but cant fully remember. Last time I toured I was pretty hammered before I left. They could have given me any beer on the menu by that point.

Reactions: Peter and Colorado

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
The wild mushroom ravioli at Villa Dolce is one of my favorite foods on Earth: http://www.villadolcecafe.com/

It's right across the street from the mustard museum, Poupon U.

They do a ton of stuff down by the capitol on Saturdays, I believe - street fairs, etc. @cowgirl836 would likely know if I am suggesting this too early!

Reactions: Peter