Lord of the Rings Universe Thread

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Warner Bros and New Line Cinema just announced a new Lord of the Rings prequel anime movie they will be making titled The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim. It will take place in the same world as Peter Jackson's movies. Looks like it will go to theaters as well. Interesting route the company is going, especially alongside the upcoming Amazon life-action TV series. Personally, I wish they would go the live-action route, but I guess I'm glad to get something rather than nothing.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Warner Bros and New Line Cinema just announced a new Lord of the Rings prequel anime movie they will be making titled The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim. It will take place in the same world as Peter Jackson's movies. Looks like it will go to theaters as well. Interesting route the company is going, especially alongside the upcoming Amazon life-action TV series. Personally, I wish they would go the live-action route, but I guess I'm glad to get something rather than nothing.

Live-action is better, but also much more expensive to bring to the screen. I'll definitely take a few animated stories to add to the library if that's the route they have to go to get them out.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I've been watching a lot of random youtube videos on Tolkien's universe. One thing I would like to see is what was happening up north during the war of the ring. Apparently, there were large battles that happened at the Lonely mountain (featured in the hobbit movies). I'd be interested to see those events play out.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
I've been watching a lot of random youtube videos on Tolkien's universe. One thing I would like to see is what was happening up north during the war of the ring. Apparently, there were large battles that happened at the Lonely mountain (featured in the hobbit movies). I'd be interested to see those events play out.

#1 on my wishlist would be the period from the creation of the rings through to the battle that culminated in Isildur cutting the One Ring from Sauron's finger.

• Winner
Reactions: cyhiphopp and SCNCY

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Live-action is better, but also much more expensive to bring to the screen. I'll definitely take a few animated stories to add to the library if that's the route they have to go to get them out.

Yes live action is expensive, but it's not like they lost money on those. I know it isn't a popular opinion, but I feel like the Star Wars universe really took a hit with all the different mediums it was on. In order to really know what was happening you had the live action movies, the books (only canon ones though), animated series, and video games. Just too much

Animated spin offs are one thing and maybe that's what they're doing here, but to have major plot features across multiple mediums is quite a risk.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I am rereading the Lord of the Rings Trilogy now for the first time in a really long time. Still holds up, but I'll admit I'm on the part where Frodo and Sam are crossing Mordor on foot and man it's not exactly a page turner right now.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
The Hobbit should have been two movies, not three so it made it drag on FOREVER. The original trilogy is still awesome even if the CGI is a little dated now. I am super pumped for this Amazon series
It was originally supposed to be two movies, but.....

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Sept 2nd, 2022 is the official launch date of the Amazon series. Bummer, I was hoping it would be sooner.

I'm sure COVID put a real kink in their plans. I just want to see it done and done well, whenever that may be.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I'm sure COVID put a real kink in their plans. I just want to see it done and done well, whenever that may be.

Yes and no. Why I'm disappointed is because they have actually already wrapped filming, so having to wait over a year after the end of production is an awful long wait compared to what is usual.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com

Sept 2nd, 2022 is the official launch date of the Amazon series. Bummer, I was hoping it would be sooner.

Still, only a little over a year away. The good news is that they're done shooting, so there should be any further delays.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
For the books?

I'd say The Hobbit, the LOTR, then Silmarillion

Strangely enough, I have not gotten into the books that his son finished/edited (Children of Hurin and The Fall of Gondor).

that book is just so damn dry. I made it about halfway. It's still in my kindle but I'll probably never finish it.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
that book is just so damn dry. I made it about halfway. It's still in my kindle but I'll probably never finish it.

I tried to read that book about 5 times and couldn't do it. Once a book becomes a chore and not enjoyable, I have to move on.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron