Looking for Blackberry Users

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
Do these internet browser websites allow you to look at webpages the way they are on a computer, or are they all in blackberry format still?

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
I just recently got an HTC Touch Pro, although my wife got the curve, so I will be interested to see what people say here.

If anyone golfs and doesn't already have a golf gps, I would recommend getting freecaddie. I have only used it for one round thus far on my Touch, but it worked great and gave very similar distances to the skycaddie my father-in-law has. I created the course too, which only took about 25 minutes. There is also a blackberry version, which I haven't tried.
FreeCaddie - The Free Golf GPS Rangefinder

Google maps is also good, and I've been using Opera rather than IE on my Touch. It works great for browsing CF. :wink:

There are also programs that will allow you to remotely wipe your phone via text message. I haven't tried any of them yet, but I'm going to need to get one. If you're phone is not connected to a Blackberry Enterprise Server, these are the next best thing from what I can tell. Some of these are free and some cost a few bucks (10-20). I can't vouch for any of these yet, but here are some I've found. There may or may not be blackberry versions of all of them.
Add Remote Wipe Function to Your WM Device | SolSie.com
Innovative Mobile Softwares For Business and Individuals - The VAPSSKY
SmartProtect 1.1 - anti theft application for windows mobile | Download Pocket PC Freeware and Windows Mobile 6.5 Software
Sprite Software - Terminator

HawkFanISUalum

May 17, 2009
Iowa City, IA
I believe Verizon is the only carrier that changes $$ to unlock the GPS unit. Sprint and AT&T don't charge for that, it's unlocked by default and you can use the built-in Maps app, or Google Maps.

Just a warning: Before using any of the streaming audio apps, make sure you chose the unlimited data plan, or your first bill is going to give you a heart attack.

Apps I use:
Slacker Radio
FlyCast Radio
Pandora Radio
Gmail App
Google Talk
Google Maps
MSN Messenger
MidpSSH
Operamini
Dopewars
Handmark Blackjack (free version)
Facebook
KeePass
BBNotePad (better than the build-in MemoPad app)
Blackberry AppWorld (Similar to the iPhone AppStore. You can browse apps be category here. Some free stuff.)

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a Verizon Curve, and read that the 4.5 OS upgrade unlocks the GPS, but it didn't seem to work on mine. Anyone have a Verizon Curve with a working GPS that they didn't pay to have unlocked?

JHudd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Plano, TX
I believe Verizon is the only carrier that changes $$ to unlock the GPS unit. Sprint and AT&T don't charge for that, it's unlocked by default and you can use the built-in Maps app, or Google Maps.

Just a warning: Before using any of the streaming audio apps, make sure you chose the unlimited data plan, or your first bill is going to give you a heart attack.

Apps I use:
Slacker Radio
FlyCast Radio
Pandora Radio
Gmail App
Google Talk
Google Maps
MSN Messenger
MidpSSH
Operamini
Dopewars
Handmark Blackjack (free version)
Facebook
KeePass
BBNotePad (better than the build-in MemoPad app)
Blackberry AppWorld (Similar to the iPhone AppStore. You can browse apps be category here. Some free stuff.)

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a Verizon Curve, and read that the 4.5 OS upgrade unlocks the GPS, but it didn't seem to work on mine. Anyone have a Verizon Curve with a working GPS that they didn't pay to have unlocked?

Mine worked on OS 4.5, all I had to do was make sure it was on, not turned to 911 only. I had it set as 911 only to try to save some battery life prior to the unlock. I now have the Storm and the GPS works well on it as well.

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
One of the reasons I went with Alltel (soon to be AT&T in the Dakotas). Verizon has a tendency to ruin their phones (e.g. the Touch Pro) and try to lock you into paying to get apps from them (e.g. locking the GPS so you had to use VZ Navigator). No thanks. It's too bad they have the best coverage.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
I guess I'm a bit fuzzy on how Verizon GPS works. Is it all Verizon phones or phone and/or OS dependent. I have a BB Pearl through Verizon and would love to get the GPS turned on without forking over an extra $10/month.

HawkFanISUalum

May 17, 2009
Iowa City, IA
Jhudd:
Thank you for the quick response. I did what you suggested, and now the built-in maps app has a "Start GPS Naviation" option. Obviously it's not going to work while I'm indoors, but I'll give it a shot on my commute home. I don't see any GPS-related options in Google Maps. Does it just automatically try GPS first, and then fall-back to cell tower triangulation if no GPS is available?

Kyle:
I thought Verizon purchased Alltel? Or did they only purchase certain markets or something?
Yes, it is a shame that Verizon had to charge for GPS usage. I would have gone with a different carrier, but they have the best coverage where I live as well.

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
I guess I'm a bit fuzzy on how Verizon GPS works. Is it all Verizon phones or phone and/or OS dependent. I have a BB Pearl through Verizon and would love to get the GPS turned on without forking over an extra $10/month.
I think it is both phone and OS dependent, although I'm not entirely sure. With the curve, it might still be locked for most programs. Here are a few links.
Verizon Partially Uncripples GPS Transceiver on BlackBerry Curve/Pearl OS 4.5 Update | PhoneNews.com
We Did It: Verizon to Unlock GPS on Windows Mobile | PhoneNews.com
New firmware unlocks GPS on Verizon-branded Pearls and Curves, carrier's intentions unclear
Verizon Wireless Promises Unlocked GPS Receivers Next Year!

From talking to one phone rep, he made it sound like Verizon was originally the intended carrier for the iphone, but insisted on screwing it up, so Apple went elsewhere. Not sure if that's true or not, but it wouldn't surprise me.

HawkFanISUalum

May 17, 2009
Iowa City, IA

My understanding, is that the Verizon-bastardized Blackberry OS v4.3 had the GPS locked unless you purchased VZNavigator for $10/month.

However, with Blackberry OS v4.5, it is unlocked. I've confirmed that my Curve works for the built-in Maps application, but have not had a chance to test Google Maps yet.

I assume the Pearl will follow the same OS upgrade path as the Curve. Check Verizon's site for an OS upgrade for your Pearl. If you're connected to a company Blackberry Enterprise Server, you may have to re-initialize your Blackberry with the BES to have it receive company email again.

Try this site: BlackBerry® Software Updates It looks like there is an upgrade to v4.5 for Verizon Pearl.

HawkFanISUalum

May 17, 2009
Iowa City, IA
I think it is both phone and OS dependent, although I'm not entirely sure. With the curve, it might still be locked for most programs. Here are a few links.
Verizon Partially Uncripples GPS Transceiver on BlackBerry Curve/Pearl OS 4.5 Update | PhoneNews.com
We Did It: Verizon to Unlock GPS on Windows Mobile | PhoneNews.com
New firmware unlocks GPS on Verizon-branded Pearls and Curves, carrier's intentions unclear
Verizon Wireless Promises Unlocked GPS Receivers Next Year!

From talking to one phone rep, he made it sound like Verizon was originally the intended carrier for the iphone, but insisted on screwing it up, so Apple went elsewhere. Not sure if that's true or not, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Ah, that third link explains it all. Thanks!

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Mine worked on OS 4.5, all I had to do was make sure it was on, not turned to 911 only. I had it set as 911 only to try to save some battery life prior to the unlock. I now have the Storm and the GPS works well on it as well.

where did you unlock it at?

-keep

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
Kyle:
I thought Verizon purchased Alltel? Or did they only purchase certain markets or something?
Yes, it is a shame that Verizon had to charge for GPS usage. I would have gone with a different carrier, but they have the best coverage where I live as well.
Verizon did buy Alltel, but the FCC is making them divest certain markets where there is no other competition. ATT is buying most of these markets, pending FCC approval, which is expected before the end of the year. In the meantime, Alltel is offering one year contracts, which combined with better and cheaper phones (particularly the Touch Pro - which was $100 less for a far superior version of the phone) was enough to get me away from Verizon. Here's Alltel's explanation of it:
Merger Information - Alltel Wireless

Here's a map of the divested areas:
Alltel Divested, Non-divested map...it's a good one:

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com

It's based on phone I think. Storms are already enabled, just have to switch settings. I'm not sure the Curves are, but I could be wrong.

JHudd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Plano, TX
Jhudd:
Thank you for the quick response. I did what you suggested, and now the built-in maps app has a "Start GPS Naviation" option. Obviously it's not going to work while I'm indoors, but I'll give it a shot on my commute home. I don't see any GPS-related options in Google Maps. Does it just automatically try GPS first, and then fall-back to cell tower triangulation if no GPS is available?

Google Maps will usually use cell tower first and then when it can get a GPS fix it will locate you within 3-10 meters. Just depends on how quick you can get a lock on the sats. I have set Google Maps as my default map service and never use BB maps anymore.
\

where did you unlock it at?

-keep

It unlocks itself with the upgrade to OS 4.5 or above then it is up to you to make sure the settings are correct within the GPS settings. The links provided above do a good job of describing the process. Verizon was finally persuaded to unlock the GPS on the BlackBerry's since the competitors were offereing it. I do believe they keep the GPSa locked and only available for the VZnav program though, not completely clear on that(never had the need for it).

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
Thanks for all the feedback. My BB Pearl is running OS 4.5.0.77. GPS works great using BB Maps app. Google Maps is still using cell tower triangulation however.