NBA: Lock out question

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
I am not a big NBA fan, I do follow any ISU players that are in the league.

The question I have watching ESPN is if the the percentage the players are currently getting is 57% and the offer was 50%. Wouldn't it take 8.3 years at the current % to make up for a year lost of salary for the current players? How many of the current players will play that many more years?

Wouldn't it be better for the majority of the players to take the 50% than have a year lost?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I am not a big NBA fan, I do follow any ISU players that are in the league.

The question I have watching ESPN is if the the percentage the players are currently getting is 57% and the offer was 50%. Wouldn't it take 8.3 years at the current % to make up for a year lost of salary for the current players? How many of the current players will play that many more years?

Wouldn't it be better for the majority of the players to take the 50% than have a year lost?

Not necessarily. In the event of the loss of a full season, a lot of players will try to head overseas to play. The money is not the same, but the fact that there are other opportunities to play besides the NBA will help to alleviate some of the pressure of lost paychecks.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Not necessarily. In the event of the loss of a full season, a lot of players will try to head overseas to play. The money is not the same, but the fact that there are other opportunities to play besides the NBA will help to alleviate some of the pressure of lost paychecks.

The veterans are standing to lose quite a bit in this. But they are "holding firm for future players." Kevin Garnett is leading the charge. I know the players get a bad rap, but they are no doubt going to get hosed by this deal. As one of 4 NBA fans in Iowa, I'm actually a bit disappointed by the labor unrest. The owners aren't being truthful. Sucks for fans regardless.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
The veterans are standing to lose quite a bit in this. But they are "holding firm for future players." Kevin Garnett is leading the charge. I know the players get a bad rap, but they are no doubt going to get hosed by this deal. As one of 4 NBA fans in Iowa, I'm actually a bit disappointed by the labor unrest. The owners aren't being truthful. Sucks for fans regardless.

Basically, the owners want the players to give up money to make up for the new owners overspending when they bought their franchises at a ridiculous price, correct?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I see very few making the jump overseas - just the big name stars. The majority will be screwed. If a season is lost for the average player, it would be dumb as dirt. The players have gone as low as 53% in negotiations. The mopney all together lost for two weeks already is making all look stupid.

Frankly, owners usually get more than 50% in other sports.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Basically, the owners want the players to give up money to make up for the new owners overspending when they bought their franchises at a ridiculous price, correct?

Essentially. The players aren't immune from stupidity in this thing, it was completely unnecessary and dumb for all involved. Feel especially for many team employees who will lose their jobs over this. Hard to pay someone with no tickets to sell.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I see very few making the jump overseas - just the big name stars. The majority will be screwed. If a season is lost for the average player, it would be dumb as dirt. The players have gone as low as 53% in negotiations. The mopney all together lost for two weeks already is making all look stupid.

Frankly, owners usually get more than 50% in other sports.

I didn't say that a lot of players would succeed in playing overseas. I said a lot would try. NBA agents are really pushing for the players to hold out, because of the money they stand to lose if the owners get what they want. I guarantee a lot of marginal players have had their fears allayed by being told that they can easily get jobs in foreign leagues should a season be lost. Finding out that those spots on foreign teams are hard to come by will be a big test of the players solidarity.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Essentially. The players aren't immune from stupidity in this thing, it was completely unnecessary and dumb for all involved. Feel especially for many team employees who will lose their jobs over this. Hard to pay someone with no tickets to sell.

Is David Stern supposed to be impartial in all of this? His interview on Mike & Mike this morning was basically an open advertisement for the owners doing everything they can and the players being difficult/stubborn.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
$450M overspent by owners plus $150M in profits by 8 owners or net $300M in losses with chance to go higher, especially after fewer fans coming this year to games. The players are willing to make up 200M or so of the losses with chance to get more later. Unfortunately, for the model to work, the woners may need to show a profit or the franchises may be worth less. I am guessing the owner probably do noeed 48-50% to keep the NBA fit and happy. The players will never accept that as they are so talented and one of a kind. Sounds like our govt impasses.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Is David Stern supposed to be impartial in all of this? His interview on Mike & Mike this morning was basically an open advertisement for the owners doing everything they can and the players being difficult/stubborn.
With the dollars as they are, he prpbably made the correct statement. The franchises need to show a profit to make the dollar model a good investment. If the franchise loses money, the franchise as an investment will be worst less and the players will have a sm,ller pie to get their money from. The players may feel they are toptally worth it, but from a dollar standpoint, they should not kill the golden goose or the inherent value of the franchises. Other sports are making it work. Hockey has little television netwrok except on a local basis and they are surviving.

This is somewhat like the govt makes a lot of promises and then it cannot pay its bills when the time comes.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
It's just one of those things for the NBA these days. Right after a playoff season that was incredibly interesting, they have this lockout. I thought they really were building some momentum that they could do something with, unless they went down this ridiculous road.

Of course, they chose this road. Looks like it's working very well :jimlad:

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The case the players can make is that they are the product and the league is worth very little without them. One only need to look at a team like Cleveland to see that a single player is enough to take a team from nothing to the height of popularity and reduce them to nothing again, upon departure.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The case the players can make is that they are the product and the league is worth very little without them. One only need to look at a team like Cleveland to see that a single player is enough to take a team from nothing to the height of popularity and reduce them to nothing again, upon departure.

The problem is money in needs to equal or exceed money out unless someone floats you free loans. It is not that players are the whole show, the overall 2-3B has to pay the bills or you will see teams folding and franchiuses lessen in value. The Celtics is the best franchise, but if they lost money, it would not be.

The players need to realize that the economy is down and higher ticket prices may lose more fans. Maybe they need to take 50% for three years, and then 53% after the recession. There should be a mathematical formula that slides to the economic models. Maybe the mediator will get it done.

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
It's all stupid, both sides are being overly greedy. I do enjoy watching NBA basketball, especially the playoffs, but I'm not going to miss it if there is no season.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007

Clueless.

Last night the 2 MLB Finals combined to draw in 8 percent rating. Last years 1 NBA finals game brought in 16.

People in the US LOVE the NBA. They love it and the #'s prove it. Most people in Iowa just don't get it

HiltonMagic

Apr 12, 2006
CA
Visit site

Of course he's fine with losing this season, he set himself up well for the lockout. It'll probably end up benefiting him.

No, he works for the owners.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron