LickLiter takes a jab at the hawk fans

iceclone

Nov 26, 2006
I argue with Iowa fans about that very same thing! There were ZERO public reports of TL interviewing with other programs or that any other program was going to chase TL. So who was Iowa negotiating against...themselves? How did it end up at $1.2 million? Minnesota gave Tubby Smith about $2.5 million around that time so maybe that influenced it a bit? No matter what it makes me feel "cheap" that GMac does't approach the $1 million mark (he doesn't does he?). That said...if GMac wins and builds a strong program JLP will pay him for sure!

The normal procedure for coaches moving up from a lower level conference is that they are guaranteed relatively little, have large incentives based on success, but must prove themselves at the higher level before receiving large guaranteed contracts. If he lives up to Jamie's expectations (we all hope), GMac will have a much more guaranteed money in 3 years or so.

Tubby is a different case since he had already won at the higher level.

The only logical reason I can come up with for Lickliter's contract, is that Iowa had difficulty attracting a coach, and were forced to use guaranteed money to lure someone to accept the position.

Of course, none of that means Lickliter isn’t a quality coach. It is just a reflection of how the Iowa basketball program was perceived by other coaches.

copenhagen

Apr 23, 2007
Blame it on sleazy corporate marketers kissing the butt

of the rich yuppies like Bowelsby did. Iowa screwed over the avg fan in fb and bb with their money grubing now their phony new base doesnt show. Pollard better watch out hes starting to do the same, one or two no improvement bad fb yrs and you will see all the 'golden circle' crowd and trophy wifes will split. I too heard Lickliter say with sarcasm and quite disbelief the puny pathetic crowds at Carver and said we been to many away games now and seen decent loud crowds. You could tell in his voice he was really hurt and embaressed by the crowds so far.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Tubby is a different case since he had already won at the higher level.

The Tubby situation will be interesting to watch. They will expect some serious winning up north for that kind of cash. I always thought Tubby was a great coach but the past couple of years seemed different? Maybe I let all the harping and huge expectations taint my opinion of him...but if the Gophers were going to quickly get back on the scene of MBB that was the type of hire that might do that. But it could also implode!

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
You've been listening to Vitale too much if you think Tubby is a really good coach. Seems to be a great recruiter for sure though. I'm actually kind of joking, he could be the best coach in the country for all I know but I grew to hate him and Kentucky just as much as Duke recently.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I get that alot too. But I bet if the Hawk BBall team was conference champion with hopes for NCAA championships, they would be all bball.

Kinda like how before this season, ISU averaged only 30,000 or so fans per game for football? ISU is a "basketball school", but how quickly would that change if all of the sudden the football program started winning championships and the basketball team fell into the abyss?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Kinda like how before this season, ISU averaged only 30,000 or so fans per game for football? ISU is a "basketball school", but how quickly would that change if all of the sudden the football program started winning championships and the basketball team fell into the abyss?

We were absolutely horrible last year and this year - fans showed up in droves this season. ISU is supporting their new coach in both football and basketball.

Iowa fans are not doing that right now - not even close.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
You've been listening to Vitale too much if you think Tubby is a really good coach. Seems to be a great recruiter for sure though. I'm actually kind of joking, he could be the best coach in the country for all I know but I grew to hate him and Kentucky just as much as Duke recently.

I guess I wasn't clear...I agree with you about whether or not he is a great coach during the games. That is why I just feel like the Tubby/Minnesota marriage could be a disaster. I am not sure why I feel this way...but I could see it happening.

Minnesota has had a strange calendar year for sure...

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

I hope to God that doesnt happen. I want all sports to excel. I think most ISU fans support both fairly well. There are a few fairweather fans out there, but we have become so accustomed to teams that struggle we support them no matter what. With UI bball I dont see the support at all. It just seems if they dont win right away noone supports them.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
We were absolutely horrible last year and this year - fans showed up in droves this season. ISU is supporting their new coach in both football and basketball.

Iowa fans are not doing that right now - not even close.

'm not going to argue that JP is a marketing genius. He really got things going with fan support and all that. Plus, there were times that football tickets in JTS cost less than a weeknight basketball ticket in CHA. I'm not sure which I would rather do - spend 10 bucks to watch ISU play Colorado (which wasn't a sell out), or spend $25.00 on a weeknight at 8:00 and watch Iowa play Northern Colorado.

My point isn't that ISU can't support their football team - it's that when ISU had a very similar marketing scheme to Barta's, the situations were very similar. The better the team on the field, the more people in the stands.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hawk fans would know! Hayden's last year was ugly at Kinnick! The place looked empty! Even KF's first two years tickets were more than available. Iowa even sold half-priced tickets to games at the end of those seasons. Then the "magic" happened and the place was always sold out. One more 6-6 season and that might all happen again.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Take the $10 ticket crap and shove it, to be frank. I'm talking about today, right now. We didn't need $10 tickets this season...you know...selling record numbers of season tickets and all. ISU fans knew the football season would be rough and Iowa fans knew their hoops season wouldn't be much more fun.

ISU is supporting their new coaches. Iowa is not.

Period.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
'm not going to argue that JP is a marketing genius. He really got things going with fan support and all that. Plus, there were times that football tickets in JTS cost less than a weeknight basketball ticket in CHA. I'm not sure which I would rather do - spend 10 bucks to watch ISU play Colorado (which wasn't a sell out), or spend $25.00 on a weeknight at 8:00 and watch Iowa play Northern Colorado.

My point isn't that ISU can't support their football team - it's that when ISU had a very similar marketing scheme to Barta's, the situations were very similar. The better the team on the field, the more people in the stands.

Do you think our fanbases are similar? I seem to think we have more loyalty than hawk fans do, no matter the W/L's. Like I said, there are fairweather fans, but I want to say in general our fans stick with the team better, especially in low moments. Maybe taking such a knocking in multiple sports (on and off field issues) will shape the hawk fanbase up and change the face of Iowa altogether.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Take the $10 ticket crap and shove it, to be frank. I'm talking about today, right now. We didn't need $10 tickets this season...you know...selling record numbers of season tickets and all. ISU fans knew the football season would be rough and Iowa fans knew their hoops season wouldn't be much more fun.

Period.

I would say the same thing about MBB as well. We knew (or had a strong idea) that this season would be rough in MBB. And we have sold tickets as a positive rate. Every school has fair-weather fans...I think ISU has a pretty loyal base...it just might not have that fringe base in the same numbers as Iowa. But if ISU was 10-1 and playing in the Orange Bowl...I guarantee that ISU football would become just a tough a ticket as Iowa was after their Orange Bowl season.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Hawk fans would know! Hayden's last year was ugly at Kinnick! The place looked empty! Even KF's first two years tickets were more than available. Iowa even sold half-priced tickets to games at the end of those seasons. Then the "magic" happened and the place was always sold out. One more 6-6 season and that might all happen again.

Actually, during Hayden's last years and KF's first few years, Kinnick still averaged around 60,000 tickets sold, and about 55,000 people in the stands.

Period.
It makes a HUGE difference. And if you want to compare similar situations - when Alford was hired, Iowa sold out CHA with season tickets. 15,500 season tickets sold in Alford's first year. After 8 years of mediocre basketball, and a predictable bad year, do you honestly expect for fans to cough up hundreds of dollars to "support their new coach", especially after coughing up hundreds of dollars to support a mediocre football season?

No.

Iowa still sold nearly 60,000 season tickets in football, regardless of the past two bad seasons. While expectations were higher this year, they didn't just stop paying, and I doubt they will next year.

Do you think our fanbases are similar? I seem to think we have more loyalty than hawk fans do, no matter the W/L's. Like I said, there are fairweather fans, but I want to say in general our fans stick with the team better, especially in low moments. Maybe taking such a knocking in multiple sports (on and off field issues) will shape the hawk fanbase up and change the face of Iowa altogether.

I think core fan bases are very similar. There is nothing different about a true Hawk fan and a true ISU fan. The thing that gives Iowa fans the reputation of being "fairweather" is, and this is my opinion, the fact that for years, Iowa has been the "default team" in the state, and has attracted more casual fans than ISU. I mean, lets face it, before the last couple of years, you were either a casual Iowa fan, a die hard Iowa fan, or a die hard ISU fan. There really weren't many casual ISU fans.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
The reason that ISU and Iowa fanbases aren't similar are because TODAY, no one is supporting Iowa basketball (men's or women's). New coach, no fans. Why? because they're frustrated with football? IF that's the case, Alford was right, Iowa is only a football school.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Actually, during Hayden's last years and KF's first few years, Kinnick still averaged around 60,000 tickets sold, and about 55,000 people in the stands.

Exactly...if Iowa's attendance was 60,000 then there would be plenty of tickets available. That is the point. Iowa was not a hot ticket at all during that time period! I never said ISU was a hot ticket. But this idea that Iowa has always enjoyed this un-dying support is simply wrong!

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Exactly...if Iowa's attendance was 60,000 then there would be plenty of tickets available. That is the point. Iowa was not a hot ticket at all during that time period! I never said ISU was a hot ticket. But this idea that Iowa has always enjoyed this un-dying support is simply wrong!

Averaging 60,000 tickets during a 1-10 season is pretty good. There were tickets available, but I mean, come on - are they supposed to average a sell out during seasons like that? The fact that 60,000 people still showed up when the team was so crappy is pretty impressive.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Tubby's knock was recruiting, not coaching. He coaches great defense and should be fine in the Little 11.

rd4isu

Apr 11, 2006
After 8 years of mediocre basketball, and a predictable bad year, do you honestly expect for fans to cough up hundreds of dollars to "support their new coach", especially after coughing up hundreds of dollars to support a mediocre football season?

That is the quintessential Hawk attitude. *****, cry, moan and complain about Steve and when he's finally gone no one shows up anyway. Go figure.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm not sure which I would rather do - spend 10 bucks to watch ISU play Colorado (which wasn't a sell out), or spend $25.00 on a weeknight at 8:00 and watch Iowa play Northern Colorado.

You do realize Iowa did something almost exactly like this during Ferentz's first year right?