LickLiter takes a jab at the hawk fans

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
After 8 years of mediocre basketball, and a predictable bad year, do you honestly expect for fans to cough up hundreds of dollars to "support their new coach", especially after coughing up hundreds of dollars to support a mediocre football season?

There were large numbers of Iowa fans saying exactly that last year. Fire Alford and the fans would come back. It was a load of crap.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
That is the quintessential Hawk attitude. *****, cry, moan and complain about Steve and when he's finally gone no one shows up anyway. Go figure.
I'm not complaining. In fact, I've been to a game this year in Iowa City. They have sold 9,500 tickets, it's just a matter of fans not feeling like they need to make the trip, which is too bad.

You do realize Iowa did something almost exactly like this during Ferentz's first year right?

I should have use the sarcasm button. I was trying to make the point that I would rather go see a football game where tickets were relatively cheap (season tickets for ISU football were still cheaper than Iowa basketball student section tickets).

I realize Iowa did the same thing in KF's first years - half priced, packages, etc... and it worked. Thank you for proving my point. The fact is, marketing is very important in selling tickets to an improving program, and Iowa was successful with it when KF first came around, and ISU is successful with it now. Iowa isn't marketing at all for basketball, and it's showing up with the number of people in the stands.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
It makes a HUGE difference. And if you want to compare similar situations - when Alford was hired, Iowa sold out CHA with season tickets. 15,500 season tickets sold in Alford's first year. After 8 years of mediocre basketball, and a predictable bad year, do you honestly expect for fans to cough up hundreds of dollars to "support their new coach", especially after coughing up hundreds of dollars to support a mediocre football season?

No.

Iowa still sold nearly 60,000 season tickets in football, regardless of the past two bad seasons. While expectations were higher this year, they didn't just stop paying, and I doubt they will next year.

This response makes little sense to me.

ISU fans got a new hoops coach last year. ISU fans were subjected to the embarrassment Larry left behind and the Morgan years of very undisciplined basketball..."wasting" what was probably our best backcourt duo ever.

New coach...major fan support.

In 2006, very ugly 4-8 season, which followed 2 consecutive seasons of last-game choking...that followed a 2-10 season...that followed a great start only to completely crumble in the last half of the season (Iowa hoops has been somewhat like this, up and down).

New coach in 2007 - major fan support.

You continue to ignore this fact, that Cyclone fans, even amid some tough times, are supporting their new coaches. Iowa fans are not, instead chosing to sit at home, sip hot chocolate and not even watch the team play - as many don't get the BTN.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Averaging 60,000 tickets during a 1-10 season is pretty good. There were tickets available, but I mean, come on - are they supposed to average a sell out during seasons like that? The fact that 60,000 people still showed up when the team was so crappy is pretty impressive.

I'm glad you specified TICKETS in your post because there struggled to be 50k actually sitting in the stands by about halfway through that year.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I realize Iowa did the same thing in KF's first years - half priced, packages, etc... and it worked. Thank you for proving my point. The fact is, marketing is very important in selling tickets to an improving program, and Iowa was successful with it when KF first came around, and ISU is successful with it now. Iowa isn't marketing at all for basketball, and it's showing up with the number of people in the stands.

'Scuse me...but marketing has little to do with the fans that already have tickets not showing up for games. The paid attendance numbers in Iowa City are not horrid. It's the number of the people that actually attend the game.

Marketing sells tickets. The fans, all on their own, are choosing not to use them.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm glad you specified TICKETS in your post because there struggled to be 50k actually sitting in the stands by about halfway through that year.

Right.

Iowa State got taken out behind the woodshed vs. Texas in football and Drake in basketball.

When the OU football game came around, the fans were there. When we played Iowa this Saturday, the fans were there.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
'Scuse me...but marketing has little to do with the fans that already have tickets not showing up for games. The paid attendance numbers in Iowa City are not horrid. It's the number of the people that actually attend the game.

Marketing sells tickets. The fans, all on their own, are choosing not to use them.

I thought that's what were were talking about in this thread. The fact that there have been almost 10k SOLD for every Iowa basketball game and a skeleton crew in the stands.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Oh...we are...but someone is continually sidestepping the issue...citing past $10 ISU football tickets and talking in circles.

Sioux_Per_Cy

Mar 31, 2006
After the Iowa game, I was listening to the after game radio show. During a commercial, I switched over to the hawkeye station to listen to Lick's comments. He made one about wishing the hawk fans would show up for a game the way the clone fans have. He said they have gone into a couple games this year where the environment is loud and difficult, and he would really like to see that in Carver some time. I laughed.

Actually, Dolph and Bobby were promoting a Hilton-like atmosphere for the Iowa/Drake game. They said it would be great if CHA would be like the atmosphere at Hilton.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Bobby will have to invite a few thousand of his drinkin' buddies over to CH if they want that. Can anyone say "students gone = even less support this Friday"? Maybe the old ladies can clank together their knitting needles really loud.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
This response makes little sense to me.

ISU fans got a new hoops coach last year. ISU fans were subjected to the embarrassment Larry left behind and the Morgan years of very undisciplined basketball..."wasting" what was probably our best backcourt duo ever.

New coach...major fan support.

In 2006, very ugly 4-8 season, which followed 2 consecutive seasons of last-game choking...that followed a 2-10 season...that followed a great start only to completely crumble in the last half of the season (Iowa hoops has been somewhat like this, up and down).

New coach in 2007 - major fan support.

You continue to ignore this fact, that Cyclone fans, even amid some tough times, are supporting their new coaches. Iowa fans are not, instead chosing to sit at home, sip hot chocolate and not even watch the team play - as many don't get the BTN.

go ahead and call me "biased" but 22 is absolutely owning this "argument." Iowa State fans are in the stands during rebuilding times where we weren't good the year before and probably won't be that good THIS year either, in BOTH sports. We know that we are a year away in basketball and at least a year or two in football, but it doesn't mean that ISU fans are just gonna sit at home and drink cocoa because their team isn't going to be winning consistently yet. We just love to be in the stands because we love Iowa State and also, yeah, Jamie Pollard is a minor marketing genius. :wink:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I'm not complaining. In fact, I've been to a game this year in Iowa City. They have sold 9,500 tickets, it's just a matter of fans not feeling like they need to make the trip, which is too bad.

I should have use the sarcasm button. I was trying to make the point that I would rather go see a football game where tickets were relatively cheap (season tickets for ISU football were still cheaper than Iowa basketball student section tickets).

Compare student bodies - how many from each school show up?

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
The Hawkeyes may have more casual fans in the state, probably because they get more press coverage. But ISU definitely has a much larger hardcore fanbase.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Right.

Iowa State got taken out behind the woodshed vs. Texas in football and Drake in basketball.

When the OU football game came around, the fans were there. When we played Iowa this Saturday, the fans were there.

Hard to argue with that point....

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Iowa isn't marketing at all for basketball, and it's showing up with the number of people in the stands.

Iowa isn't marketing? All I heard about in November was "hey Iowa fans, bring your football ticket stub and get into the mens basketball game for $10"! That sounds like marketing to me...

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Iowa isn't marketing? All I heard about in November was "hey Iowa fans, bring your football ticket stub and get into the mens basketball game for $10"! That sounds like marketing to me...

And I bet if you take a look at those games, attendance was higher than it was when people had to pay $25 to get in.

My point is, this whole thing that ISU fans are more loyal than Iowa fans is based on nothing. Iowa has averaged higher attendance in almost all sports than ISU for years. Not to mention, a huge number of fans travel for bowl games, tournament games (yeah, those two tourney games), and so on. The fact that for the first 4 home games of the season attendance has been low is a moot point.

It's kind of funny how people can talk about me using "circular logic", when in fact they're doing the same thing. I'm not questioning how loyal the ISU fan base is - it's very loyal. Iowa increased season ticket sales over last year (I believe), in both football and basketball, despite the poor previous seasons. Iowa also averaged only 200 less people at basketball games than ISU did.

I understand the point that basketball attendance this year has been poor - it has been. The competition has been poor, the team has been poor, late nights on week nights, and high ticket prices make it difficult for many fans to want to get out there and watch the game. It's just how it is. ISU football fans showed up in droves this season - but you can't tell me that marketing and an attractive schedule (Oklahoma, Iowa, Texas, KSU, and CU) didn't play a part in that - because it definitely did.

copenhagen

Apr 23, 2007
Ha! the day Carver sounds like Hilton

is when they sale Hilton and turn it into a retirement home. CHA is a mortuary.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
And you know what I just realized? Arguing over who's crowd is bigger is like men arguing over a certain body part being bigger. It's just dumb.

I guess this is what we do in Iowa when all of our sports suck :wink:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
More spin...more avoiding the facts. We know how to spot it over here...nice try. Not a damn thing to do wit body parts.

Our fanbase supports our poor teams with new coaches far better than Iowa is right now. That's the premise of this (or my) argument and the facts support it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron