LickLiter takes a jab at the hawk fans

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
After the Iowa game, I was listening to the after game radio show. During a commercial, I switched over to the hawkeye station to listen to Lick's comments. He made one about wishing the hawk fans would show up for a game the way the clone fans have. He said they have gone into a couple games this year where the environment is loud and difficult, and he would really like to see that in Carver some time. I laughed.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
The last time that hawk fans were loud and boisterous Carver Arena had not even been built...That happened in the OLD DUMP iowa fieldhouse.:cool:

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
What, isn't the sound of grandma knitting a sweater for junior or grandpa snoring in the 10th row at Carver loud enough? Geez, some coaches are just too needy.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
The more and more I hear about Lickliter, the more I like him. I think he is a stand up guy and honestly feel sorry for him for taking that job.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
He should have stayed at Butler...

There is a reason he took the Iowa job...1.2 million of them! Wasn't he making in the $200,000 range at Butler? He can take the Iowa job for 5 years and if it doesn't work out then he could easily get a job similar to the Butler job.

As much as I hate the Hawks...that isn't a bad job to take. The question for him is going to be the same as GMac's...can each of them recruit the types of kids that fit their system and will allow them to be competitive in their leagues? We don't know yet...GMac has done alright so far...but he has a long way to go too! And I am THRILLED that GMac is our coach...but honestly, isn't the jury still out on him?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I wonder why he even took the job, he had a better thing going at butler

Probably felt like he could make a difference. Some coaches like to take programs in shambles and make it into something. It helps pad your resume. I think he will get things turned around, but it will take alot longer than most. If the fans dont buy in, then screw em. That is just poor fandom.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Probably felt like he could make a difference. Some coaches like to take programs in shambles and make it into something. It helps pad your resume. I think he will get things turned around, but it will take alot longer than most. If the fans dont buy in, then screw em. That is just poor fandom.

Living in Cedar Rapids (the middle of Hawkville), I don't know a single Iowa fan who isn't happy that TL is their coach and they understand it was going to take time. They will be there...but the entire Alford debacle is still fresh in their memories. Any coach other that StevieBoy would have made them happy!

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Living in Cedar Rapids (the middle of Hawkville), I don't know a single Iowa fan who isn't happy that TL is their coach and they understand it was going to take time. They will be there...but the entire Alford debacle is still fresh in their memories. Any coach other that StevieBoy would have made them happy!

Sounds like you have a few thinking fans over there. Do they go to the games?

rd4isu

Apr 11, 2006

What's their excuse now? Before it was "well I don't support Steve Alford". I'm constantly trying to engage my Hawk coworkers in their basketball team but the standard response I get is "I don't really follow basketball, I'm a football guy".

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
While I'm not a big fan of him so far (his sideline pouting mostly), he's still very early in his Hawkeye career.

In 3-5 years, he could have this team atop the Big 10 for all we know. I think it will take longer than that - but he's certainly not dead in the water.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
What's their excuse now? Before it was "well I don't support Steve Alford". I'm constantly trying to engage my Hawk coworkers in their basketball team but the standard response I get is "I don't really follow basketball, I'm a football guy".

I get that alot too. But I bet if the Hawk BBall team was conference champion with hopes for NCAA championships, they would be all bball.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Sounds like you have a few thinking fans over there. Do they go to the games?

None of my friends have season tickets to Iowa games. But they do occassionally attend Iowa games. I know some who took Iowa up on bringing a football ticket stub to enter the MBB games for $10.

Personally, I feel like the Hawk fans around here are just a years behind most of us Cyclone fans. Many of us were very relieved to have a new system in place last year and to have GMac as our coach. We didn't expect to win the B12 last year but we felt better about our program. I think Iowa fans are in that stage right now...they are realistic in their hopes for the season but they are still happier now than they were last year!

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006

Yeah - I'd be happy with TL over SA as well - knowing what we know now.

Question is, how many hawk fans weren't THRILLED when SA was hired?

Anyone? Anyone?

Most were making Final Four reservations for the upcoming season.... :biglaugh:

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I hear that a lot too. But a few years of apathy can do that to a program! I have not been to Hilton yet this season but I have heard from people on this board that Hilton "Magic" is dead and so on (maybe that is just frustration after a tough game). I am not trying to be a Hawk-apologist (that job would take more than a lifetime of work) but just being realistic. Alford KILLED that program...which I really enjoyed and I kind of miss him because of that. TL has to do more than rebuild the team...he has to rebuild the entire program. He certainly knows basketball (based on his record of success)...but does he have the personality to create excitement throughout the fanbase? We will see...

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Yeah - I'd be happy with TL over SA as well - knowing what we know now.

Question is, how many hawk fans weren't THRILLED when SA was hired?

Anyone? Anyone?

Most were making Final Four reservations for the upcoming season.... :biglaugh:

That is so true! OMG...it was like they had hired the next John Wooden...wait...if you would have asked SA he would have told you they did hire the next John Wooden!

I really do miss him in IC...

iceclone

Nov 26, 2006
There is a reason he took the Iowa job...1.2 million of them! Wasn't he making in the $200,000 range at Butler? He can take the Iowa job for 5 years and if it doesn't work out then he could easily get a job similar to the Butler job.

As much as I hate the Hawks...that isn't a bad job to take. The question for him is going to be the same as GMac's...can each of them recruit the types of kids that fit their system and will allow them to be competitive in their leagues? We don't know yet...GMac has done alright so far...but he has a long way to go too! And I am THRILLED that GMac is our coach...but honestly, isn't the jury still out on him?

The fact that they had to pay that much for a coach from the Horizon league seems to indicate it was perceived to be a bad job to take. Either that or their AD just really, really bad at negotiating.

I do think Lickliter is a very good coach, and that he'll be successful at Iowa. He just won't be successful enough to live up to the unrealistic expectations of Iowa fans.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
The fact that they had to pay that much for a coach from the Horizon league seems to indicate it was perceived to be a bad job to take. Either that or their AD just really, really bad at negotiating.

I do think Lickliter is a very good coach, and that he'll be successful at Iowa. He just won't be successful enough to live up to the unrealistic expectations of Iowa fans.

I argue with Iowa fans about that very same thing! There were ZERO public reports of TL interviewing with other programs or that any other program was going to chase TL. So who was Iowa negotiating against...themselves? How did it end up at $1.2 million? Minnesota gave Tubby Smith about $2.5 million around that time so maybe that influenced it a bit? No matter what it makes me feel "cheap" that GMac does't approach the $1 million mark (he doesn't does he?). That said...if GMac wins and builds a strong program JP will pay him for sure!

Last edited: