Les Miles Done For?

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Is this what we were like in the early 90s? They’ve been so bad for so long I’m not sure if they can recover, at least not quickly.

I graduated in 94. ISU was bad, real bad. Getting blown out by Nebby and others regularly. But still would scrape 3 or 4 wins, and an upset here or there. And people would show up, at least for a while.

KU right now is another circle of hell lower. They can see Brutus, Cassius and Judas from where they are.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I graduated in 94. ISU was bad, real bad. Getting blown out by Nebby and others regularly. But still would scrape 3 or 4 wins, and an upset here or there. And people would show up, at least for a while.

KU right now is another circle of hell lower. They can see Brutus, Cassius and Judas from where they are.

Always give props to a Divina Commedia reference.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So could KU fire with cause? I wouldn't think that Miles would have any obligation to tell Kansas about this being a sealed settlement. Seems like someone's lawyer is about to get paid, not sure it'll turn out well for anyone else.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Saw that this morning.. KU said that they had not heard of this situation when hiring Les.

So could KU fire with cause? I wouldn't think that Miles would have any obligation to tell Kansas about this being a sealed settlement. Seems like someone's lawyer is about to get paid, not sure it'll turn out well for anyone else.

I'm no lawyer but unless Miles lied to KU during his hiring process, this seems like a failure to properly vet him on KU's part and not cause for wrongful termination since this didn't happen at KU. In which case he'd probably be owed the balance of his contract if he were fired. As best I can tell, he's got about three years left on his deal that paid him $2.75M per year.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
any decent recruits we can poach? They seem to get one or two really good recruits even though the team is terrible.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Les was a terrible hire. If they can use this to get out of that contract without the full buyout they should do it now. Personally I hope they give him an extension.

Reactions: intrepid27

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
SIAP.

I know it’s a link to a message board, but there are several relevant articles and links in there that makes it easier than me searching and posting them all.

He might be toast.

There are some pretty funny comments in there:

"We might actually make some progress once we rid the program of a coach whose elevator stopped going to the top years ago"

"When asked for comment Les responded with “don’t you just love the smell of new crayons?” Then proceeded to express his preference for vanilla pudding over chocolate chip cookies because when they’re burnt they scratch the top of your mouth."

"If we can Miles, the only hire to make at this point will be a back-hoe to fill in Memorial."

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

Doubtful they could fire him for cause for something that didn't happen under their employment. But they could still choose to fire him and either pay him what they owe or attempt to force a settlement.

I've heard 'ol Les has given the impression to people in Lawrence that he doesn't give a **** about the job anyway beyond collecting paychecks.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Voltaire was once quoted saying something like --

"I have been involved in two lawsuits in my life. I won one and I lost the other. Both times, I lost money."

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
They receive a big check every year from the TV networks by way of the Big 12 just for having a football program around to serve as a punching bag. I have to imagine that check is more than what it costs to operate the program, and it would be much smaller if Kansas was not somehow playing football. Basketball breaks even; football TV money pays the bills, and that is true even in Lawrence. They're not going anywhere anytime.

It seems there is a business model for being a doormat. If I recall the NFL had franchises that made a lot of money off of that model for years. They're a near-automatic W for teams they're playing, and blowouts are fun to watch in local markets.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
any decent recruits we can poach? They seem to get one or two really good recruits even though the team is terrible.
On the one hand I remember some really good players during that time when ISU was so very terrible. But on the other hand I remember this scene from Moneyball:

Commit to Kansas Football = no confidence

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It seems there is a business model for being a doormat. If I recall the NFL had franchises that made a lot of money off of that model for years. They're a near-automatic W for teams they're playing, and blowouts are fun to watch in local markets.

There are plenty of MLB franchises who realized a good time ago that paying only the minimum into building the team and comfortably settling into mediocrity (or just plain old awfulness) is more profitable than trying to win. That is, the "base" level of revenues with a bad team (mostly from TV money) is already very high, and the boost you have in ticket sales, advertising, endorsements, and merchandise and the like is not worth what it costs to put together a competitive team. I am not sure Kansas is trying to do it, but it is hardly unprecedented strategy in sports business.

Reactions: TXCyclones

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

Thing is, KU might be one of the few places they could get away with that. Basketball will always be king in Lawrence.

• Agree
Reactions: TXCyclones

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron