Leave it to California

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
If they pay them they need to brake off from the universities and become what they would then be. Minor league teams. That would fail because no one would care, the only reason college sports draw more than minimal attention is because of their affiliation with universities. If athletes are paid I will not watch or go or care about them at all.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Tebow hits the mark here. I’m all for adding legit minor leagues and giving people the opportunity to make money but it needs to be separate from college.

Tebow with the underthrow. He makes the case against himself. Talks about how his jersey was the 3rd highest selling sports jersey. Okay, so the school was taking advantage of his likeness to market a product. Sort of goes against the old "people don't watch for the players, they watch for the team" chestnut. It's great that he didn't want or need the money. Not everyone is in that situation. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with making money. Tim talks like it's some dishonorable thing. How much salary has Urban Meyer ever turned down in his career? And speaking of coaches, notice how Tim doesn't mention them in his rant about the glory of college sports? They can go to where the biggest payday is, and it doesn't sully the game. But if a player does, suddenly some invisible Rubicon has been crossed? Please. Go back to being ****** at baseball, Tim.

• Agree
Reactions: WhirlyBird

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Tebow with the underthrow. He makes the case against himself. Talks about how his jersey was the 3rd highest selling sports jersey. Okay, so the school was taking advantage of his likeness to market a product. Sort of goes against the old "people don't watch for the players, they watch for the team" chestnut. It's great that he didn't want or need the money. Not everyone is in that situation. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with making money. Tim talks like it's some dishonorable thing. How much salary has Urban Meyer ever turned down in his career? And speaking of coaches, notice how Tim doesn't mention them in his rant about the glory of college sports? They can go to where the biggest payday is, and it doesn't sully the game. But if a player does, suddenly some invisible Rubicon has been crossed? Please. Go back to being ****** at baseball, Tim.
It would be a lot easier to get on board with the NCAA model if they actually walked the walk. But they don't. Everyone can make as much money as they want, and it's all kosher, except the athletes. Not them. Never them. Because stuff that everyone knows is already happening might happen in the light of day, instead of in a dark corner under a blanket of plausible deniability.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
Do all players on the team get the same amount? Or will it be tied to production on the field? or is about the brand name?

So can they hire agents, marketing teams and PR people to help their publicity to become more "valuable" so they can earn more? Who quantitifies their "value"? Will there be hold-outs because they think they deserve more money?

I don't see how any Iowa State fan can think this is a good idea. Iowa State doesn't have the money to buy top recruits and with this structure, never have a shot at being relevant.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Do all players on the team get the same amount? Or will it be tied to production on the field? or is about the brand name?

So can they hire agents, marketing teams and PR people to help their publicity to become more "valuable" so they can earn more? Who quantitifies their "value"? Will there be hold-outs because they think they deserve more money?

I don't see how any Iowa State fan can think this is a good idea. Iowa State doesn't have the money to buy top recruits and with this structure, never have a shot at being relevant.
This is about players making money from their likeness through endorsements, not the Universities paying the players.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
How many Tim Tebow jerseys would have sold if he had played at an NAIA school that got no TV coverage?
According to Rivals, he was the number one rated dual threat qb before he ever played a down for Florida. So, he brought some notoriety and value with him.

Look, no one is saying that the school's add no value to the player's. Of course they do. But, it's completely disingenuous to suggest that the school is responsible for it all. The players definitely add to it. Through their play on the field. And through their play prior to getting to the school. Look at Xavier Foster. He's got value right now, before he picks a school. The second he commits to Iowa State(hopefully), people would be willing to go out and buy a jersey with his number on it. And that would happen if he picked ISU, Iowa, Baylor, or whoever. The school didn't create that value. Xavier did. And the fact that he can't take a dollar of that value without running afoul of the rules is flat out ridiculous.

• Disagree
Reactions: flycy

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Look, no one is saying that the school's add no value to the player's. Of course they do.

Correct. So, these laws are essentially going to require the NCAA and ADs to break other laws regarding use of resources for financial gain of constituents, so all of those states that enact laws like this are going to end up in court wasting tax payer dollars to defend these laws that aren't necessary.

Look at Xavier Foster. He's got value right now, before he picks a school. The second he commits to Iowa State(hopefully), people would be willing to go out and buy a jersey with his number on it. And that would happen if he picked ISU, Iowa, Baylor, or whoever. The school didn't create that value. Xavier did. And the fact that he can't take a dollar of that value without running afoul of the rules is flat out ridiculous.

How many people would buy his jersey if he went to an NAIA school? Or how many people would buy his jeresys if he skipped college altogether and just worked with a trainer until he was eligible for the NFL draft? Figure out the difference in those jersey sales, and you figure out much each party contributes to the value of the image. My belief is that the contribution of the NCAA >>>> contribution of the individual. The NCAA schools bring the volume of fans via their fanbases, and hence the exposure, that make an image worth something to an advertiser.

Last edited:

cfsivert

Aug 30, 2013
Hmmmm. If a student has the right to make money off of his name and likeness, then his school would be unable to sell his jersey without his permission. Since schools are making money from these sales, they will be among the first to pay players.

Ragnarclone

Sep 1, 2019
Well if college schools start paying their athletes then is there still a scholarship I really don't see why there would be since if you pay them they turn into employee's not students

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Well if college schools start paying their athletes then is there still a scholarship I really don't see why there would be since if you pay them they turn into employee's not students
Why would those two things be mutually exclusive? Is there something preventing school employees from being eligible for scholarships currently?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So how does Title IX play into this? If make athletes get paid, would there need to be equal pay for female athletes? Are we going to get an EA sports Women's NCAA basketball too, or will that just be a part of the men's game?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Hmmmm. If a student has the right to make money off of his name and likeness, then his school would be unable to sell his jersey without his permission. Since schools are making money from these sales, they will be among the first to pay players.

They can't put his name on the back of the jersey. The school owns the jersey design and the number, not the player.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I’m not going to respond to ******* Iowan’s talking about California. The ignorance
FYI: I lived in CA for over 30 years. I think I qualify as a Californian. You, however, epitomize Californian thinking. Believe it or not California is not the center of the universe.

And for the brief time I'm here, the recent discussion about capitalizing on likeness is severely tarnished IMO when they can not put the University representation on their likeness. So, in the end, the University will have to reach a shareable profit agreement with the athlete.

CA, from a tax basis, will make more money. The Universities will make more money. The agents will make more money. The athletes will make money. But, the system will be screwed.:eek:

Interesting stuff!

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Students getting paid for their likeness is a tricky situation. I totally get why they should but I think that will lead to the most corruption and inevitably, schools will be buying players with contracts to profit from their likeness. It will really hurt schools like ISU when Texas or Bama can promise you endorsement gigs before you even get on campus.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Students getting paid for their likeness is a tricky situation. I totally get why they should but I think that will lead to the most corruption and inevitably, schools will be buying players with contracts to profit from their likeness. It will really hurt schools like ISU when Texas or Bama can promise you endorsement gigs before you even get on campus.
Meh. It's not like those schools don't already get the best recruits every year under the current system. There are still scholarship limits.

Reactions: heitclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron