Least Afford to Lose: CPR or Hoiberg?

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
No ISU coach has ever had the success that CPR has had in their first 2 years. The reason the football program doesn't have a "buzz" around it is because it takes so damn long to get a football program going.

I love FH and he has been incredible here, but there are plenty of coaches that I think could come to ISU and have success at ISU within 3 or so years.

Look at football and we have a couple bad years with Mac, then we get chizzed, then we spend 3 years rebuilding with Rhoads. Pretty soon a decade has gone by and your program has been a joke the entire time. Especially with ISU's history in football.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I'm shocked people are saying an average football coach is less replaceable than an Iowa State legend.

Fred will always be a legend in Ames whether he is coach or not.

It takes the absolute right person to lead the FB team at ISU to success. I believe CPR is that man. He is not easily replaceable for that fact and that fact alone.

leroycyclone

Jan 2, 2010
Boulder, CO
Posted this a question for Chris' mailbag and Clonefan32 thought it might generate some interesting discussion on the forum:

The opinion piece about how CPR should be a candidate for the Ohio State job got me to thinking... If you had to pick one, what head coach could ISU least afford to lose right now?

CPR or Hoiberg?

Won't lose either man.
Rhoads may get a salary bump if others come calling but he won't leave ISU.
Hoiberg could get a bump but in two years or so.

Bring in the crowds and win and the money will flow from ISU to the coaches.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
If we lost Hoiberg to another school, that would be just about the worst thing that could happen to us. Come on, he's known as "The Mayor" for a reason. A guy like that leaving his hometown, his alma mater, and the place he called his "Dream Job" would just be terrible.

Who says we are losing a coach to another school in this hypothetical situation. I'm just assuming they have to leave ISU for one reason or another. Could be health related for all I know.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Who says we are losing a coach to another school in this hypothetical situation. I'm just assuming they have to leave ISU for one reason or another. Could be health related for all I know.

If it's for illness or some other personal reason, that changes things. I was looking at it from the perspective of "look what job is open, CPR/CFH on the short list".

If you throw illness/old age/etc as reasons to leave, well, I can guarantee you that both men will leave ISU one day.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Losing either one would be a kick in the groin. This question is like being asked before the kick, your left nut or right nut.

synapticwave

Mar 9, 2007
Austin, TX
www.longshotgames.com
I say Hoiberg. Looking at who would replace either coach if they left. On the basketball side, if Hoiberg leaves, I can't think of a candidate that would replace him that would be a sure bet to win us a big12 championship within 3 years. If CPR left we would definitely hire Tressel and he'd cheat us into a big12 championship within 2 years for sure. So it's gotta be Hoiberg.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
If you're talking strictly about "if either coach were hired away right now (or within a couple of years, maybe)" -- Rhoads. Only because I can't imagine Hoiberg having such lofty success in the short term that a school would want to snag him and that he would find the deal too irresistible to stay.

But Rhoads isn't that far beyond that status, either (other than his overall coaching experience) ... it's just that if there's a chance he'll build something unprecedented at ISU, I'd hate to start from scratch — again.

I also think that if Hoiberg was lured away in short order, basketball is more quick-recovery.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Keep in mind while I really like and respect both...neither has yet to do something irreplaceable. Life...and ISU athletics...would go on without them.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Hoiberg, mostly because basketball is easier to turn around quickly.

It's almost always going to be easier to get a quality basketball coach to ISU than quality football coach. Rhoads hasn't done anything irreplaceable yet, but he's clearly changing the culture. Its great to see the neg train acting like what he's done in the past 2 years is anything short of incredible. Has he taken us to lofty heights? Hell no. He HAS however whipped this program into fighting shape at an unprecedented pace though. If he can lead this talent to a 12-13 record with wins in Lincoln and Austin, he's obviously a talent.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Hoiberg, mostly because basketball is easier to turn around quickly.

It's almost always going to be easier to get a quality basketball coach to ISU than quality football coach. Rhoads hasn't done anything irreplaceable yet, but he's clearly changing the culture. Its great to see the neg train acting like what he's done in the past 2 years is anything short of incredible. Has he taken us to lofty heights? Hell no. He HAS however whipped this program into fighting shape at an unprecedented pace though. If he can lead this talent to a 12-13 record with wins in Lincoln and Austin, he's obviously a talent.

Did you mean CPR?

Anyway, I agree with the rest of your post. Chizik managed 5 wins in 2 years here and he went on to win a NC at Auburn. CPR got 7 wins in hist first year and 5 in his second. ISU Football needs a good coach who is going to be in it for the long haul more than anything.