Least Afford to Lose: CPR or Hoiberg?

ISUser

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 28, 2009
Topeka, KS
Posted this a question for Chris' mailbag and Clonefan32 thought it might generate some interesting discussion on the forum:

The opinion piece about how CPR should be a candidate for the Ohio State job got me to thinking... If you had to pick one, what head coach could ISU least afford to lose right now?

CPR or Hoiberg?

Reactions: cyfanatic

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City
I would hate to lose Hoiberg but, football takes longer to build up in theory so I would say CPR. Tough decision though.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
That's tough. Both programs are in desperate need of stability, so any turnover would suck. I think the answer has to be Coach Fred though. Coach Fred has injected alot of life into the MBB program and has lured better talent here than we have seen in the past 5-10 years. CPR has done well, but he is a somewhat "flukey" win over Nebraska and a win over a down Texas team away from two very average seasons.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Jamie Pollard. He is the pivot man.

Okay, if I had to pick one, CFH if you figure the easiest way to have a run at the Big 12 title is in bball. That said, who brings in the most money is football and CPR and we will need to go bowling more often to pay the bills.

Go with CPR unless Fred has a blast at this years NCAA.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
CPR and I don't think it's all that close. We have had three basketball coaches lead us to sustained success in the last 20 years. Football has not been like that and I think CPR is on the right track.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
IMO it's Hoiberg. It would absolutely suck to lose CPR, but short of Orr, Hoiberg IS ISU basketball. And he's not just ISU basketball, he's Ames, Iowa.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Hoiberg. I don't have any expectations of ever consistently challenging for the B12 title in football. I think Hoiberg gives us a chance to do that in basketball.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I've thought about this for 5 minutes and I honestly can't decide. Both of them are in pretty good shape job security wise if they both fail this year, so it's a draw in that aspect. I'd probably go with CPR since he has a much tougher road to win in the Big XII for football than what Fred does in basketball.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Hoiberg. No matter how important football is versus basketball, Hoiberg is the face of not only Iowa State basketball, but arguably the entire athletics department. Neither has proven much thus far, but Hoiberg has the pieces in place to have a MONSTER year. We can compete in the Big 12 in basketball. I don't think the same can be said for football.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Speak for yourself.

As far as athletic department income, there's no doubt football is more important. And, in the conference shakeups last year, Kansas wasn't in much better shape than ISU as far as finding a home. Why? Football's more important. I don't argue with basketball being personally more important to you, that's fine, just clarifying that for financial reasons, football gets what football wants.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Football is much more important than basketball...

- Signed Kansas, Duke, and North Carolina

Seriously, I think we have a better chance for sustained success at basketball than football. I'd hate to lose either coach right now but I'd give a slight edge to losing Hoiberg being more painful.

AllIowaTeams

Jun 10, 2010
Grimes
IMO, it's Hoiberg. ISU doesn't have a history of success in football. They do in basketball. On top of that like someone else mentioned Hoiberg is ISU basketball. When you factor in his NBA connections, and the likelihood that he continues to recruit well I think it's Hoiberg. Most football coaches can get a team 5-7 wins fairly consistently. That's not game changing. That's not going to increase attendance or interest in a program. On the other hand if Hoiberg takes the team from the dark days of Mac, and goes to the NCAA tourney consistently then I think his value can't be overstated. Sure, football is the ideal sport to have success in, but that doesn't mean CPR is more valuable by any means.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I guess I see it as:

Rhoads: Very replaceable.
Hoiberg: Irreplaceable. Coaching at the place he is known as a legend.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
- Signed Kansas, Duke, and North Carolina

Seriously, I think we have a better chance for sustained success at basketball than football. I'd hate to lose either coach right now but I'd give a slight edge to losing Hoiberg being more painful.

You can add Syracuse to that list as well. I agree with everyone that thinks it would be much more painful to lose Fred and Rhoads.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Football pays the bills, but the question isn't which sport would you rather be successful in. It's which coach could you replace easier. What has CPR done that makes him irreplaceable? Especially when the other guy is an ISU icon and there is more interest around the basketball program in a long time

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron