Laundry - Multiple Small Loads vs. One Big Load

Which do you prefer? Washing your clothes in multiple small loads, or as big of a load as possible?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Laundry - Multiple Small Loads vs. One Big Load

So, what are the pros and cons of multiple small loads (MSLs) vs. one big load (OBL) - or a few big loads, if one isn't enough.

Taking into account the life of the washer & dryer, how hard it is on them, utility bill, how the clothes come out, detergent used, etc. What other factors am I missing?

(Note: I work from home, so, while inconvenient, I have the ability to switch clothes during the day, if needed, so that's not a factor for me. I'm sure for homes where all adults work outside the home, that may be different.)

Go!

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
The bigger the better, but we always separate. A load of whites, load of darks, load of reds, load of towels, load of sheets, load of workout clothes. Six loads a week, every Fri/Sat, like clockwork.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I would think running a full (not over loaded) load would be more efficient than more than one small load if you are eco-minded. It should use less water and energy and put less detergent into the environment. With the four of us having school, work and athletic clothes filling up a load of sorted laundry is never really a problem.

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
One factor I think you missed is the wear on the clothes themselves. If your machine is so full it is creating friction you clothes could wear out faster and/or "pill-up".

A pill, colloquially known as a bobble, fuzzball, or lint ball is a small ball of fibers that forms on a piece of cloth. 'Pill' is also a verb for the formation of such balls. Pilling is a surface defect of textiles caused by wear, and is considered unsightly.

• Informative
Reactions: wxman1

DeftOne

Dec 30, 2014
Des Moines, IA
I prefer to fill it up as much as possible. However, I've noticed that if I fill it up too much then the detergent doesn't get rinsed out of my clothes as well as smaller loads. Too many washes with poor rinses can lead to musty, funky smelling clothes. It's a bit of a balance between load size and amount of detergent used.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I don't jam it quite as full as when I was in college and quarters were valuable but still pretty full.

I also end up with fewer pink clothes now vs. college. I did not discriminate when washing. Everything in together because between the $ and time, I'm only coming down here to switch loads once.

• Agree
Reactions: cmjh10

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Waiting for someone to bring up the front-loading washer discussion. Heard they leave clothes smelling musty but only anecdotally. Never considered one when purchasing.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Waiting for someone to bring up the front-loading washer discussion. Heard they leave clothes smelling musty but only anecdotally. Never considered one when purchasing.
One issue is that most of them don't allow opening the door once the cycle is started. That is a big problem when you have a teenager who always comes up with something that they "have to have" right after you start the load.

Reactions: wxman1

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

Between not opening once started and leaving it open all the time to air out (we do this with our top load as well) I think it cuts down on the smell. I have also heard of people using some kind of special detergent and running it as a cleaning wash type thing.

Help Support Us

Become a patron