Laundry - Multiple Small Loads vs. One Big Load

Which do you prefer? Washing your clothes in multiple small loads, or as big of a load as possible?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
It's just like carrying groceries; I'll do just a little bit more than I can handle to save a trip.

I imagine not overloading the machine helps a lot with getting the soap everywhere and rinsing properly.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It's just like carrying groceries; I'll do just a little bit more than I can handle to save a trip.

I imagine not overloading the machine helps a lot with getting the soap everywhere and rinsing properly.
The original question was about "one big load or multiple small loads." If you are fitting all of multiple small loads into one big load you are likely both overloading with the big load and underfilling with the multiple smaller loads so you could increase the size of (and reduce the number of) smaller loads without overloading.

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
I'm lazy and hate doing laundry so I wait as long as I can before doing a load. My roommate does it like 3 times a week.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Front load v. top load - we just bought a new LG top-loader, the vixen insisted on it since she likes to presoak a lot of things. As for the op, absolutely one load, Why waste water and detergent, and ecologically it's better, too.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Waiting for someone to bring up the front-loading washer discussion. Heard they leave clothes smelling musty but only anecdotally. Never considered one when purchasing.

we've had one for 2.5 years with no problem. We use a powder detergent (the animal fats in liquid ones can cause the mold/smell problems) and usually leave the door open for a day to keep it aired out.

I sometimes have to add things after it's started as well but for ours you just hit the start button again and it will pause and unlock the door.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Front load v. top load - we just bought a new LG top-loader, the vixen insisted on it since she likes to presoak a lot of things. As for the op, absolutely one load, Why waste water and detergent, and ecologically it's better, too.

My vixen is 5' 2", and our washer is large. Her feet are off the ground unloading socks and other small items. It's fun to watch.

• Funny
Reactions: VeloClone

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
we've had one for 2.5 years with no problem. We use a powder detergent (the animal fats in liquid ones can cause the mold/smell problems) and usually leave the door open for a day to keep it aired out.

I sometimes have to add things after it's started as well but for ours you just hit the start button again and it will pause and unlock the door.

A little self preservation going on there?

• Funny
Reactions: cowgirl836

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
My washer has 4 choices -- small, med, large, and super. I will generally fill it and then use 1 level above what I have. So, for example, put in a medium load, use large. Put in a large load, use super. I never fill it to the brim.

I like lots of sloshing. It gets the clothes clean. I used to stuff it as full as possible, but then I'd get odd spots where the detergent stuck in one place and didn't rinse. I also think over stuffing the washer led to the early demise of our last one. It got so off balance it gradually self-destructed.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa

Good Luck with the LG washer, hope you bought an extended warranty. I bought a nice LG high capacity top load. After 1 year, seriously 2 weeks after it hit 1 year, it kept saying it was UE or uneven. In the end it was the motherboard and they couldn't get a replacement because LG didn't have the part anymore. Luckily the extended warranty wrote me a check for the full replacement cost of the washer. I went and bought a maytag.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
But real talk. Does the pink clothes thing actually happen? I purposely washed my red ISU shirts with my white undershirt and no pink happened at all. I separate ish for the most part just because the clothes are brighter/deeper but I didn't have any issues mixing colors

I chalked it up to being a movie trope that doesn't exist

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I've found the best routine for us during the week is several medium-large loads throughout the week instead of trying to get it all done over the weekend. Right now we have to be careful because both our kids have allergies and anything other than Tide Free sets them off, so our workout clothes have to go in separate washes so we can add the Bounce crystals. So there's regular adult clothes, workout clothes, kid clothes, towels, and sheets. Over the course of a week it all adds up pretty quickly if you just let it collect.

I'm pretty good about keeping it moving from the washer to the dryer and getting it folded but I'm absolutely awful at putting the folded stuff away. I'll leave it sitting in the basket for days on end and just go digging for whatever I need.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
But real talk. Does the pink clothes thing actually happen? I purposely washed my red ISU shirts with my white undershirt and no pink happened at all. I separate ish for the most part just because the clothes are brighter/deeper but I didn't have any issues mixing colors

I think it's a water temperature deal. I've never seen a white shirt turned pink either, but I'm pretty careful about separating my laundry.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL

It definitely happens. But the red thing has to be fairly new and depending on the fabric/dye set up of the red item.

I tend to separate by darks and lights. I rarely have enough white items to justify a separate load so I pick out a few of the lighter colored items and make that one load. There's usually a lot more of the colors than whites so it works out pretty well.

After reading this someone is probably going to chime in with some racial darks/lights and colored/whites thing. At least I didn't tee up the sexual stuff again.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It definitely happens. But the red thing has to be fairly new and depending on the fabric/dye set up of the red item.

I agree it does. If you have something new and bright red the color can definitely run. One thing you can do to avoid it is soak the new item in cold salt water before washing to help set the dye and rinse out dye that is going to come out. You are definitely taking your chances washing new dark colors with whites. I have accidentally left a white handkerchief in the pocket of new blue jeans and had it come out of the wash with a blue tint to it.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix

Yes, it does happen. I work pink boxer briefs for a long time.

As was mentioned, age of the item and color temp has a lot to do with it, but it will happen.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

yes and blue stuff too. Dh put laundry in with mine one time and a couple of his socks came out a bit pink and it took a lot of years before he'd let our laundry co-mingle again. I never minded pink socks but he's a picky one. After one of my white tanks came out a bit grayish from blue jeans, I at least started making the concession of running new jeans/red shirts under cold water and wringing them out a bit first.

Help Support Us

Become a patron