Last play of regulation

CycloneJoe6

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2012
Iowa
I'm surprised this hasn't been talked about much. Don't you think we could have got a better shot then a korie pull up? I would have liked to see McGee take the shot. Thoughts?

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
the last play shouldnt have mattered. should have been niang going to the stripe with around 8 seconds left and would have had no need for korie to take a buzzer beating shot. of course, if niang didnt hit both FTs then im sure elijah johnson would have hit some crazy 3 to tie or win anyways

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
the last play shouldnt have mattered. should have been niang going to the stripe with around 8 seconds left and would have had no need for korie to take a buzzer beating shot. of course, if niang didnt hit both FTs then im sure elijah johnson would have hit some crazy 3 to tie or win anyways
Niang wouldn't shoot ft on a charge.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I'm surprised this hasn't been talked about much. Don't you think we could have got a better shot then a korie pull up? I would have liked to see McGee take the shot. Thoughts?

Um, yeah. Cycfan1 is correct -- Go. To. The. Bucket. Dare them to foul.

I hate taking 3's when it's a tie game or 1-point lead, unless there's not enough time left to get anything better (or unless it's clearly a perfect look by a McGee-type shooter).

I felt like ISU settled for OT, and I didn't feel like the psychological edge was on our side.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
We probably shouldn't nitpick and 20-20 this game to death, but frankly, last night I was too numb to second-guess and once the shock has faded a bit, the focus on that botched officiating sequence gets far too much "anti-credit" for the loss. There were so many moments that could've made that non-existent.

I still don't know how a team hits 17 3's and goes 29-for-34 at the line at home, leads for almost the entire final 7 minutes, and can't find a way to overcome (or at least not tempt) referee error.

digZ

Sep 2, 2011
Colorado
Niang wouldn't shoot ft on a charge.

Somebody would effectively. We're up by two, with the ball with 5 seconds left. We'd inbounds the ball, and if we got it in, Kansas would foul, and somebody would shoot two, or maybe they force try to force the TO, miss and we get it down the court to win the game in regulation. Either way, the charge is a dagger to Kansas, and it was a terrible, terrible, terrible missed call.

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan
We probably shouldn't nitpick and 20-20 this game to death, but frankly, last night I was too numb to second-guess and once the shock has faded a bit, the focus on that botched officiating sequence gets far too much "anti-credit" for the loss. There were so many moments that could've made that non-existent.

I still don't know how a team hits 17 3's and goes 29-for-34 at the line at home, leads for almost the entire final 7 minutes, and can't find a way to overcome (or at least not tempt) referee error.

I wouldn't know how either, if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. The easy answer is that they had a guy who normally isn't a very good three point shooter, but who in the second half could throw anything up and it would go down--28 feet, with a guy on him, no problem. Combine that with a very good team and a series of one-sided calls, and they were able to overcome those stats.

digZ

Sep 2, 2011
Colorado

Kansas is a strong team, we shouldn't have to beat them by 10, just so when the refs give them 4 points in freebees down the stretch the scoreboard says we beat them by 6. We were face guarding Johnson the whole half, and yet he just couldn't miss. It was just his night I guess. Combine that with the refs screwing us over and even a strong offensive gameplan and execution, with decent defense won't overcome it.

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
I didn't have a problem with the shot at the time because it was a pretty good look. I would guess KL wanted to get up a shot that he knew he had a chance with rather than try to drive and risk either not getting a good look or getting a foul called or whatever.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I know last year we had Allen drive to the hoop and it was blocked. Lucious has that mentality that he wants the ball in these situations.. Which is good... But they just don't seem to fall for him. Hopefully they start falling our way soon though!

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I too was hoping to see his quickness to the basket. He has that high bank shot he does. I wouldn't do a drive that could be a charge. Can you imagine if KU would get the call?

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
IMO Korie should have drove hard and try to pick up a foul and make one FT and win it.

Ha ha, good one.
He'd have been called for an "intentional charge" and KU would have been awarded fourteen free throws and possesion of the ball.