Votes: 77 84.6%
  • Two

Votes: 14 15.4%

• Total voters

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
There's been a shortage of ricotta cheese... which is really weird.

I encountered that the previous time I made it. 3 stores, all out. It was still Christmas season, a popular lasagna time, but even so i've almost never had trouble finding it.

I subbed cream cheese. Not as popular in my circle as ricotta, but I like it.

(typically use cottage & ricotta, sometimes all 3).

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
I stand by it. The noodles are either soggy or crunchy half the time, soupy often, it's actually Greek and not Italian in origin, and it's basically a casserole. It's the green bean casserole of pasta.
The origin of this fine delicacy is of no matter! Greek, Italian, Martian, I'll eat lasagna no matter where you say it originates from.

Also, agreed green bean casserole sucks but that's because I barfed up canned green beans as a young lad and I can't eat soggy green beans anymore.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I’m a lasagna fan and prefer ricotta over cottage cheese but lazy day lasagna is a staple in our house. Grab a big pot, throw in a jar of prego, a jar of water, a bag of egg noodles. Cool until the egg noodles are done. Add a container of cottage cheese and cook for another couple minutes. Add some mozzarella and dinner is done.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Cottage cheese always seemed like an Iowa way of saving an extra buck on ricotta.

And I prefer it in a glass pan.

• Winner
Reactions: Tri4Cy

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Yes, noodle, meat sauce, then cottage and cream cheese, mozzarella

A minor difference, I do sauce first, then noodle, cheese mix & moz. Probably doesn't matter, but would there be an advantage to your ordering? (I'm willing to test alterations if it improves anything).

(Edit to clarify, in case needed, I'm referring bottom-to-top)

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I use both pork sausage and ground beef.

Also I usually mix cottage cheese and ricotta.

I make a HUGE pan full. But it's an all day project and cost some major bucks for all the ingredients.

The trick is to make 5-6 lasagnas at a time and freeze them uncooked.

We bought a bunch of pyrex pans just for lasagnas. We make one for that night and wrap the rest in foil, plastic wrap, and freezer paper. Just thaw for a day and remove the freezer paper and plastic wrap.

Reactions: cowgirl836

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
A minor difference, I do sauce first, then noodle, cheese mix & moz. Probably doesn't matter, but would there be an advantage to your ordering? (I'm willing to test alterations if it improves anything).

This is my layer order too. Plus I like to put different cheeses on the top and some fresh basil

Reactions: cyclones500

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It would take more than just stacking them on top of each other to make them one. Something would have to bond them together. And even then, I think I would be very conscious of the fact that it was two because of what happens to the bottom and top layers of noodles. The crispiness of the top layer would be entirely inappropriate for a middle layer. Answer: 2.

There has not been enough discussion about you simpletons who think that stacking two lasagnas on top of each other makes one lasagna. A doubled lasagna is a very different thing. Specifically, crispy layers belong on the outside, not in the middle. If lasagna is crispy on the inside, you should be concerned that something is wrong with your noodles!

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL

The recipe I have has noodles first. I think that gives you a base for scooping out the slices. Mine is NOT soupy. Also, you have to let it rest a bit before serving. I forget the amount of time. Something like 20 minutes I think.

I haven't made it in several years. Though I have threatened to do so. Now I'm definitely going to have to pull out the recipe and get it done.

I have a metal pan that is specifically designated a lasagna pan. Bigger than your average cake pan and deeper. It's a must have IMHO.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

I put some sauce on bottom to start. Idk if it matters after that. Maybe sauce and cheese hides the curd some people notice? I've honestly never been like oh there's curds. Cream cheese, yes, but I love that.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
The recipe I have has noodles first. I think that gives you a base for scooping out the slices. Mine is NOT soupy. Also, you have to let it rest a bit before serving. I forget the amount of time. Something like 20 minutes I think.

I haven't made it in several years. Though I have threatened to do so. Now I'm definitely going to have to pull out the recipe and get it done.

I have a metal pan that is specifically designated a lasagna pan. Bigger than your average cake pan and deeper. It's a must have IMHO.

I put very light layer of sauce to keep bottom noodles from sticking without them tasting like oil or cooking spray

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I hate ricotta cheese. Seems like a mistake the cheese makers try to post off as a thing. That texture had to be an accident. Like if your candy is like that you messed up heating it.

The lasagna question is answered by the number of pans. If you're stacking the pans it's two lasagnas. If not it's one deeper lasagna.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Ok, I'm calling in a drone strike.

Meh. Even chefs agree with me:

Try some aglio e olio, some cacio e pepe. Both are better seasoned, and they don't just glob on sauce like lasagna. Actual Italian food is nowhere near as over-sauced as we do here, and lasagna is the worst offender. The pasta-to-toppings ratio is unlike any other pasta dish, so I would say it doesn't even count as pasta - pasta is just a guest star.