KXNO Sports Fanatics

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
color me shocked....she just shills to whomever.

What is she saying? I'm catching up on the Miller and Condon pod (Miller is making sense, Trent is throwing a tantrum)
Listen to the first half hour. They are both just factually wrong in what they’re saying. We’re two days out and Sean is asking if it was an invalid fair catch signal why didn’t the refs throw a flag.

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Did Andy talk about what horrible people Iowa fans are for blaming it on the refs and throwing stuff at opposing players.

He's painted ISU fans as the spawn of Satan for far less. The guy loathes ISU fans at an irrational level and gives Iowa fans a pass when they behave in an indefensible way.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
color me shocked....she just shills to whomever.

What is she saying? I'm catching up on the Miller and Condon pod (Miller is making sense, Trent is throwing a tantrum)
Paraphrasing- she's saying the rule was technically called/applied correctly but it wasn't called/applied correctly in the spirit of the rule.

Because apparently the spirit of the rule now needs to be taken into account when a game-altering call is on the line.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Paraphrasing- she's saying the rule was technically called/applied correctly but it wasn't called/applied correctly in the spirit of the rule.

Because apparently the spirit of the rule now needs to be taken into account when a game-altering call is on the line.
Did she explain what the spirit of the rule is?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I was thinking about this...and it actually does make sense to have this rule as it was called against Iowa.

A punt returner could just do all sorts of crazy stuff under the shoulder to get defenders to hold up before he returns it. Then if that became popular enough they'd just tackle players regardless of how they signaled.

The one way I would defend Iowa fans saying it's a bad call...is if they called it becuase his arms were above his shoulders. His arm motion is 99.9% below the shoulders and there's the one freeze frame where his arms are about even with shoulders. If it was all about that (it wasn't) then that would have been a terrible call. They said he can't make the motions below the shoulders though, and he obviously was, and it appears that is the rule for a valid reason.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm sorry, but listening to the Murph and Andy recap, I just can't get over the excuse of the call shouldn't have been made because "it took away an incredible moment". What kind of argument is that?

A decade ago when I stopped listening, Andy would regularly crucify Cyclone fans for basically nothing compared to Iowa fans pelting Minnesota players and Iowa cheerleaders with bottles. He'd act like ISU fans were pure evil any time they complained about any call, calls that were far more incorrect than this.

Unless his show was raging against Iowa fans it further outs him for the Hawkeye troll he's always been.

Murph is fine. Give me just an open and insightful homer Iowa fan like Jon Miller any day vs some dork who hates ISU fans pretending to be impartial like Fales.

• Agree
Reactions: Oldcr

StateThrowdown

Oct 27, 2008
Jasper County
Did Andy talk about what horrible people Iowa fans are for blaming it on the refs and throwing stuff at opposing players.

He's painted ISU fans as the spawn of Satan for far less. The guy loathes ISU fans at an irrational level and gives Iowa fans a pass when they behave in an indefensible way.

Close. He said he "could understand it."

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm sorry, but listening to the Murph and Andy recap, I just can't get over the excuse of the call shouldn't have been made because "it took away an incredible moment". What kind of argument is that?

Did they even mention Iowa fans throwing stuff at players? I think they'd be ready to give ISU the death penalty if one of our fans even thought of doing that.

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines

Yeah, I don't really understand why they're acting that way. Ken Miller understood that it was the right call, why can't they if they're impartial?

They love a good story, well this is a good story that is going to drive ratings for them as people call and rant.
Get ready for Suckeye content every day this week.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I was thinking about this...and it actually does make sense to have this rule as it was called against Iowa.

A punt returner could just do all sorts of crazy stuff under the shoulder to get defenders to hold up before he returns it. Then if that became popular enough they'd just tackle players regardless of how they signaled.

The one way I would defend Iowa fans saying it's a bad call...is if they called it becuase his arms were above his shoulders. His arm motion is 99.9% below the shoulders and there's the one freeze frame where his arms are about even with shoulders. If it was all about that (it wasn't) then that would have been a terrible call. They said he can't make the motions below the shoulders though, and he obviously was, and it appears that is the rule for a valid reason.
Yeah I mean imagine having to go to replay to determine whether a guy's arm was all the way above his shoulder while making a call? If I were the return man I'd almost do that every time to throw off the defense into thinking I was making a fair catch signal.

You remove all that by having the rule that's already in place.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Did they even mention Iowa fans throwing stuff at players? I think they'd be ready to give ISU the death penalty if one of our fans even thought of doing that.
Yeah Murph tied that in on the back end of his little rant, stating that was a bad look and something you just don't do. Andy then tried justifying the actions a little bit.

Reactions: Cfinnerty16

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Yeah I mean imagine having to go to replay to determine whether a guy's arm was all the way above his shoulder while making a call? If I were the return man I'd almost do that every time to throw off the defense into thinking I was making a fair catch signal.

You remove all that by having the rule that's already in place.

I thought they got screwed too when I thought it was about arms above the shoulders and the one freeze frame with his arms barely even. Then when I learned more and that he was't allowed to do all that signaling below the shoulders...it's obviously the correct call by the rules. He was doing all sorts of hand signaling before the shoulders, I guess it's not allowed. Someone pulled a Wisconsin game from 5-6 years ago that was the exact same thing that also got a TD called back.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I thought they got screwed too when I thought it was about arms above the shoulders and the one freeze frame with his arms barely even. Then when I learned more and that he was't allowed to do all that signaling below the shoulders...it's obviously the correct call by the rules. He was doing all sorts of hand signaling before the shoulders, I guess it's not allowed. Someone pulled a Wisconsin game from 5-6 years ago that was the exact same thing that also got a TD called back.
Exactly. And yeah I've seen this called before but it didn't go back for a TD, it went for like 15 yards and then the ball was brought back.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Yeah Murph tied that in on the back end of his little rant, stating that was a bad look and something you just don't do. Andy then tried justifying the actions a little bit.

That's par for the course from back when I listened before we had good ISU podcast networks. Murph is fine, good local sports guy. Andy is and always has been just really pathetic. He could just be open about his hatred for ISU fans and that he's a massive Hawkeye fan, it's the dishonesty that makes him a joke.