KXNO/iHeart Layoffs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by cyowan, Jan 14, 2020.

1. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Male
    Engineer
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +9,020 / 301 / -12
    I could definitely see that. You could tell anyone not laid off yesterday felt horrible and took no joy in it. Obviously there is some relief when you are safe, but there is no joy if you care about others.

I was laid off 10 years ago and at the time my world stopped and I feared the future. Looking back, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I have a job I love that pays twice that job did now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Farnsworth

Farnsworth Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +3,483 / 58 / -0
    Not sure why I didn't even think of that. Now I feel like a ****. Hopefully I find out soon because they just had their first kid, hoping the best for them.

3. IcSyU

IcSyU Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Rochester, MN
    Ratings:
    +3,873 / 287 / -3
    Often times you don't know what's happening until some bean counter in the back room makes up their mind and decides they need to make drastic decisions very quickly. They don't want you going out and stealing their advertisers from underneath them. They still want the advertisers after you're gone. They're trying to cut costs....not all their revenue too.

4. woodm07

woodm07 Active Member

Apr 6, 2015
    Risk Management
    Ratings:
    +560 / 31 / -1
    What did he say?

5. Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
    Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +3,483 / 58 / -0
    He was real safe with it, just announced the on air talent that lost their jobs and that Murphy and Andy will still be on the radio without AD. No commentary.

6. Cydkar

Cydkar Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Ratings:
    +8,603 / 240 / -7
    Controversial question:
    Do we know that these moves aren't good for the company? It's not a non-profit.

On the surface it looks like a bad move but maybe it isn't. A company in trouble can't stand pat.

7. beentherebefore

beentherebefore Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Ratings:
    +958 / 54 / -0
    The company is in trouble. Cutting employees--and it always sucks--is often the easiest way to lower overall operational costs.

Plus, the stations iHeart (Clear Channel) bought up, are not worth much now, so the debt burden is huge for that company. It would not surprise me that the company may have to unload stations. The problem is that very few stations can turn a profit anymore.

8. Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
    Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +3,483 / 58 / -0
    I don't think that's controversial. They just filed for bankruptcy and are shedding a ton of jobs nationwide. Financially it makes sense for them, even though the end result really sucks.

The only part I hate is how hard KXNO got hit compared to other stations.

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/183270/ongoing-list-of-those-affected-by-iheartmedia-cuts/

9. dosry5

dosry5 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Johnston
    Ratings:
    +3,762 / 140 / -14
    Not saying you’re wrong, but if friends of yours were fired unceremoniously and in then name of profit from your current job, would you quit in a show of solidarity?

I think it’s sucks, hate seeing people lose their jobs, been at several places where layoffs or bumping happened, but never saw anyone quit in support of a co-worker.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. lionnusmb

lionnusmb Active Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Teacher
    Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +142 / 6 / -0
    I was listening to Ross, Chris, Jess and Jake last night on podcast last night and got to thinking about Anthony. What about Anthony?!! These are some of the unintended consequences of the fallout of something like this. I worry about him and his dad. Of course I didn't like who he rooted for but I thought he was genuine and appreciated his voice every week he called.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. im4cyclones

im4cyclones Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Ames, IA
    Ratings:
    +461 / 20 / -0
    Actually, consolidation of media companies started after the Telecom Act of 1996 which dramatically reduced important Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations on cross ownership and allowed giant corporations to buy up thousands of media outlets across the country. This led to accruing massive debts which were supported by high ad and, more importantly, classified ad revenues. Those high ad revenues meant that cuts could be made to production (layoffs in the newsroom of small-time reporters, etc) without hurting revenue which thereby increased profits. I suspect you can find some graphs that depict the consolidation of media companies, which had happened prior to 1996, accelerated shortly thereafter.

Until they murdered it, the golden goose of the newspaper business was classified ads. This was essentially money for nothing. You didn't even need to pay sales people a commission for it. You just answered the phone and recorded what they want. WIth these massive debt loads and a demand for profits by shareholders, media execs could gauge consumers by raising classified rates to whatever they wanted. In some markets, ad rates wen from $2/line to as high as $7/line. And people had no choice but to pay it.

Along comes the Internet revolution of the early 2000s and entrepreneurs everywhere were looking for ways to cash in. Enter online classifieds like Craigslist, Cars.com, Autotrader, etc. I read somewhere that online classifieds saved consumers something like $4B between 2000-2005. That means it cost newspapers $4B in the same time. I suspect that is the initial drop in ad revenue in your graph before Google even gets into the marketplace.

As the golden goose laid fewer and fewer eggs, the high debt loads could not be sustained and shareholder profits dried up, the death spiral started. The small cuts to the product when times were good had already push some away. Now layoffs were inevitable because of lost profits. In addition, subscriptions rates were increased. Paying more for less/worse content drove even more readers away. This further decreased ad revenue, which meant even more layoffs and/or more consolidation. More consolidation without the highly profitable ad revenue that had propped it up prior was a recipe for bankruptcy.

It was not that consumers shifted away from newspapers to online news that led to a drop in ad revenue. It was corporate greed that created monopolistic conditions that were ripe for innovation like online classified services. Media execs were greedy and ignored the signs that revolution was afoot. Their entire business model was propped up by gauging consumers and when consumers shifted away, they had no plan B.

TL/DR: Newspapers killed themselves by being greedy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. CycloneRulzzz

CycloneRulzzz Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Male
    Nevada, IA
    Ratings:
    +14,649 / 169 / -5
    They also have their TV jobs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. dosry5

dosry5 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Johnston
    Ratings:
    +3,762 / 140 / -14
    True, and maybe that makes this situation different

14. CapnCy

CapnCy Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Ratings:
    +744 / 18 / -0
    I thought the same thing......from what I can tell, Murph and Andy are stand up people overall and are the types that WOULD stand with coworkers vs their own interests....but it's true, ultimately people have to make decisions based on their own needs.

In this case, Murh and Andy could also leverage their popularity and capital to help others out, but even that's tough (meaning, what if they could help half of their laid off friends but not the other half, etc).

15. CascadeClone

CascadeClone Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2,700 / 93 / -0
    So if the papers would have charged less for classifieds, craigslist and cars.com would never have been invented? C'mon.

Being able to search online info is an enormous benefit, and by itself would have sunk print classifieds, even if they were free too. Search feature allows you to go through 1,000 newspapers worth of ads in 2 seconds. Huge value to the consumer in terms of both time-savings and consolidation of multiple sources of information.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. KnappShack

KnappShack Well-Known Member

May 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    Ratings:
    +9,719 / 332 / -15
    A newspaper could charge $0 a line for an ad and they would still not get people to read a newspaper.. The delivery method has changed

The medium has been disrupted and the public now thinks everything should be free. Music. TV. Radio. All media. Just look at CF during a game. Someone always asks how to pirate a game.

There's little compelling reason to pay for news now, but that also starts to take the professional newsperson out of the equation. We're left with hack bloggers or weird conspiracy backers

A quest for profit is part of business. Greed by charging $7 a line for an ad? Jeez. Not sure if that's greed when a market supports it. Either way it's a sad situation

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2,700 / 93 / -0
    Is "The Big Peach" copyrighted protected?

• Like Like x 1
  18. KnappShack

KnappShack Well-Known Member

May 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    Ratings:
    +9,719 / 332 / -15
    Rock solid start right here

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Cycsk

Cycsk Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Aug 17, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7,179 / 327 / -6

What a bloodbath! The bean-counter who made this decision probably doesn't even know or care about the uniqueness of the shows. KXNO was just letters and numbers for programming that isn't automated.

On to the next phase of the @ChrisMWilliams media empire!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2,700 / 93 / -0
    I think the whole iHeart strategy was dumb in the first place.
    1. Buy all the stations
    2. Shift listeners over to internet to gain online ad revenue
    3. ...
    4. Profit

I have no idea why anyone thought this was an idea worth lending $20B for. I guess with too much capital floating around, and too many people lusting after the latest craze of "online ad revenue", they couldn't resist. A fool and his money are soon parted.

Unfortunately, a bunch of innocent people got caught up in this debacle.

• Agree Agree x 1