Ku's Cliff ...

isulive2train

Feb 24, 2009
Ciclón Nación
Thats his dad

orig-11119061jpg.gif

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
I was underwhelmed by this kid when he pulled this jerk move, with the apparent approval of his parents (I wasn't impressed with them, either). He'll fit in just fine with the attitudes in the NBA.
You need to finish your sentence...NBA developmental league.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Dude chose to be dirty...
ku-xlarge.gif

Dad looked worried for a second when he thought his payday was gone with the Illinois hat.

Oh who am I kidding, the payday would've been there with Illinois as well, just probably didn't bid enough.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
If you aren't breaking the rules you're being left behind. Time and time again the NCAA has shown they will punish the school for violations and not the coach or player directly. The punishment comes long after the perpetrator has left and it only affects kids that did not break the rules. It's a bad system and I wish the NBA would work with the NCAA to punish the athlete and not innocent people.

NCAA punishments are like me being caught speeding in a rental car and the next guy getting the ticket. Totally pointless.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Lastest from Ku board:

BofH wrote:
CrimsonNBlue wrote:
twocoach wrote:
If it was something like test scores a la Derrick Rose that would have made him ineligible to be a college player in the first place then yes, Kansas would be affected.

Not that black and white.

actually, from what I heard: memphis knew there was a possible issue with Rose and played him anyway. If KU had played Cliff on saturday then they would be in the situation Memphis was in with Rose.

Maybe, maybe not.
No one knows what the **** is going on.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
If you aren't breaking the rules you're being left behind. Time and time again the NCAA has shown they will punish the school for violations and not the coach or player directly. The punishment comes long after the perpetrator has left and it only affects kids that did not break the rules. It's a bad system and I wish the NBA would work with the NCAA to punish the athlete and not innocent people.

NCAA punishments are like me being caught speeding in a rental car and the next guy getting the ticket. Totally pointless.

As much as it pains me to say this, but it seems like Kansas is playing this right. If they held him out as soon as they knew of this they should get off without any penalties.

The problem is that it is rare that this gets brought into the light while the kid is still in school. I'd like to see more punishments to the coaches especially for major recruiting and player benefit violations.

jatrain

Feb 8, 2010
As much as it pains me to say this, but it seems like Kansas is playing this right. If they held him out as soon as they knew of this they should get off without any penalties.

The problem is that it is rare that this gets brought into the light while the kid is still in school. I'd like to see more punishments to the coaches especially for major recruiting and player benefit violations.

This. If what KU is saying now, that it is a Cliff issue (something like contact with an agent, accepting benefits from someone not associated with KU, etc) and not something that KU has done (ie illegal recruiting, benefits from someone associated with KU, etc) then I doubt that KU sees any penalties beyond the loss of Cliff for some games. Look to the Perry Jones situation - his family took $4100 in loans and a trip from an AAU coach not associated with BU. He was suspended 6 games for that but no penalties to BU.

Of course if KU had a part in something wrong then all bets are off (as it should be).

jatrain

Feb 8, 2010
I was assuming that the NCAA alerted Kansas as a service heading into the postseason.

This is correct. NCAA didn't/hasn't suspended Cliff, but told KU on Saturday that it was investigating some issues. KU decided to hold Cliff out as a precaution.

When Perry Jones of Baylor was suspended the NCAA notified them of possible issues in January, but they decided to keep playing him. They then suspended him 6 games starting right before the Big 12 tourney. If they would have held him out in January he probably would have gotten "time serve" and been available for the post-season.

I'm sure KU is hoping for the same thing.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
If it's a Cliff issue, it's a Ku issue. The spin atop Mt. Oread is just unbelievable sometimes. It's like a Pontius Pilate hand wash.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Considering nobody has heard anything about it or even knows what it is about, I would be surprised if it was something that occurred on campus in Lawrence.

I am just guessing he either has had contact with agents or it goes back to AAU in Chicago.