Kudos to Cyclone Women's BBall Fans from Unlikely Source

• Politics and In-State Rivals Threads - You will notice that you may or may not be seeing expected posts from the Politics and In-State Rivals forums.

Due to the nature of these forums, they have been changed from an opt-out to opt-in design - meaning you must opt-in to see them. Unfortunately, that only changes the default for new registrations. Your selections right now are likely not what you want.

You can opt-in/out to either the Politics or In-State Rivals Forums in your user settings (click for instructions to learn more).

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Preface: I'm a proud ISU Alum who has lived in Iowa City for sixteen years, successfully raising three Cyclone fans, the eldest of whom is a sophomore in Ames!

I read today's (Friday, 12/20) Iowa City Press-Citizen over lunch, and smiled when I saw the feature article on the sports page titled, "Why don't UI students attend women's games?". I knew immediately that author Pat Harty's inspiration had come from the recent women's game in Ames, but it took him awhile to admit it! Towards the end he writes, "It's baffling that the number of UI students who attend Iowa women's basketball games at Carver-Hawkeye Arena pales in comparison to the support from Iowa State Students at Hilton Coliseum in Ames".

Thank you to the school administration, athletic department, coaching staff, fan-base, student supporters and women's basketball team! Our cross-state rivals are envious of what ISU has achieved...

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
It's fortunate that he saw that game. Unfortunately student support at Hilton during the "preseason" is a couple dozen students. I was very impressed with the numbers that showed up for the Iowa game.

moforisu

Jun 12, 2006
Preface: I'm a proud ISU Alum who has lived in Iowa City for sixteen years, successfully raising three Cyclone fans, the eldest of whom is a sophomore in Ames!

I read today's (Friday, 12/20) Iowa City Press-Citizen over lunch, and smiled when I saw the feature article on the sports page titled, "Why don't UI students attend women's games?". I knew immediately that author Pat Harty's inspiration had come from the recent women's game in Ames, but it took him awhile to admit it! Towards the end he writes, "It's baffling that the number of UI students who attend Iowa women's basketball games at Carver-Hawkeye Arena pales in comparison to the support from Iowa State Students at Hilton Coliseum in Ames".

Thank you to the school administration, athletic department, coaching staff, fan-base, student supporters and women's basketball team! Our cross-state rivals are envious of what ISU has achieved...
WOW, your a great Cyclone! We do have a great fan base, win or lose and I'm proud to be one of them.

Go Cyclones!

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Part of that support at Iowa State could be driven by the coaches and players. Do you ever hear or see a post game interview where the coaches and players don't go out of their way to thank the ISU fans? I'm not sure how Bluto treats Iowa WBB fans, but I can't imagine it is nearly as good as Bill treats the Iowa State faithful.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Does this take the press citizen off the boycott list? :confused:

I'd say "probably not"; I left out his next sentence, where he suggested "there's nothing else to do in Ames". He then insulted Fort Dodge and Sioux City for no apparent reason...

The Press-Citizen still stinks and Pat Harty is one of my least favorite sportswriters; it was a sad day when Susan Harman (formerly of the Ames Tribune) semi-retired - she was more than fair to ISU and was excellent on the local HS scene...

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
What exactly can you do in Iowa City during the winter months that you can't do in Ames?

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
What exactly can you do in Iowa City during the winter months that you can't do in Ames?
I heard harpooning is pretty big in Iowa City. I'm pretty sure we don't have the girls in Ames to do that effectively. Point Iowa City.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
The story should have been about the lack of support from both students and non students. When ever we go there to play it seems we have as many fans there as they do and it's a home game for them.

Splendid

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
I'd say "probably not"; I left out his next sentence, where he suggested "there's nothing else to do in Ames". He then insulted Fort Dodge and Sioux City for no apparent reason...

The Press-Citizen still stinks and Pat Harty is one of my least favorite sportswriters; it was a sad day when Susan Harman (formerly of the Ames Tribune) semi-retired - she was more than fair to ISU and was excellent on the local HS scene...

In all fairness I had to laugh and thought it was a great quote the Ft. Dodge/Sioux City comparison. Somehow those IC fans think of it as Hollywood or Cancun and he is saying there's not much difference in IC or Ames. I read the same article yesterday.

Pat Harty: Why don

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
The story should have been about the lack of support from both students and non students. When ever we go there to play it seems we have as many fans there as they do and it's a home game for them.

We went to the last 2 ISU-IA games in IA City. Approximately 40% of the crowd each game was ISU fans. By contrast, I had to look hard to find IA fans at Hilton on Dec. 12 - just a very few, scattered throughout the crowd. It wasn't much different in 2011.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
In all fairness I had to laugh and thought it was a great quote the Ft. Dodge/Sioux City comparison. Somehow those IC fans think of it as Hollywood or Cancun and he is saying there's not much difference in IC or Ames. I read the same article yesterday.

Pat Harty: Why don
Agreed, he was saying the "nothing to do in Ames" argument used by Hawk fans is weak saying that's like comparing Sioux City to Fort Dodge in other words not much difference:

"It’s baffling that the number of UI students who attend Iowa women’s basketball games at Carver-Hawkeye Arena pales in comparison to the support from Iowa State students at Hilton Coliseum in Ames.

One explanation is that there is less to do in Ames compared to Iowa City, but that’s sort of like saying there is less to do in Fort Dodge compared to Sioux City.

Another explanation is that women’s basketball is boring because it’s played below the rim and at a slower pace compared to its male counterpart. That argument seems stale and narrow-minded at this stage and it doesn’t explain the situation at Iowa State."

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

This. Student attendance is pitiful every where. Feel bad for students who pass on watching our wbb team. Your missing out on some good bb.

Help Support Us

Become a patron