Keep Coach Greg McDermott

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
None of that addresses the question of the poster when he asked how it is productive to give up on the team and demand the termination of the coach during the season.

The question was pointless unless it was directed to one of the few people on this board who have demanded the termination of the coach during the season. I have seen tons of speculation on whether we should move on after the season, but only one or two posts saying we should fire the coach during the season.

Not quite sure what you mean by give up on the team... obviously most have given up on their chances of making it to the NCAAs, that's blatantly obvious. Everyo0ne is still hoping they win every game. Understanding that the team has no chance of making the NCAA Tourney and having what most consider a successful season is giving up? Those are just facts.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The question was pointless unless it was directed to one of the few people on this board who have demanded the termination of the coach during the season. I have seen tons of speculation on whether we should move on after the season, but only one or two posts saying we should fire the coach during the season.

Not quite sure what you mean by give up on the team... obviously most have given up on their chances of making it to the NCAAs, that's blatantly obvious. Everyo0ne is still hoping they win every game. Understanding that the team has no chance of making the NCAA Tourney and having what most consider a successful season is giving up? Those are just facts.

What's the difference between wanting a coach fired during a season and calling for a coach to be fired at the end of the season before the season's over? Either way, you're not letting the coach finish out the season before making your decision.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So why have things regressed with each passing year? Four wins in conference seems to be the max at this point for our teams. That is a 25% success rate.

I'm not sure that we've regressed. Injuries have definitely hurt this year, but this team still has a chance to finish with more wins than last year. If we finish with less than four conference wins this year then firing Mac may be something that has to be done, but that's not the case yet.

nickcyv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2009
I would think that JP would be clinging to that first year since it has been the best year of the GMAC era!! It is the bright spot in what has been just a awful experience. Jp should say year one was year one and year five is actually year two. The three years in between surely are not GMAC's fault!!!

redskinsisu

Apr 11, 2006
Your opinion is fine... I assume you held the same opinion about the previous coach, who was significantly more successful than the current coach?

If not, its just another personal opinion based on liking the current coach personally rather than his job performance. Yeah Greg is a nice guy, but so are millions of other people. Gotta succeed, and results do matter.

Yes. I held the same opinion with Morgan. I have no idea why Morgan was fired and from my knowledge did not deserve to be fired. I think firing LE started the problem and it was compounded by firing Morgan. And if ISU fires Coach Mac it will only set ISU back.

Reactions: CloneIce

ETL2424

Nov 9, 2008
Yes. I held the same opinion with Morgan. I have no idea why Morgan was fired and from my knowledge did not deserve to be fired. I think firing LE started the problem and it was compounded by firing Morgan. And if ISU fires Coach Mac it will only set ISU back.
Now that's what I call a chain-reaction...:( Bring back anyone other than McDermott

Last edited by a moderator:

redskinsisu

Apr 11, 2006
Now that's what I call a chain-reaction...:( Bring back anyone other than McDermott

Please try and keep up. I am the one who started the thread. I think we should keep Coach Mac. I was responding to the question about Morgan. If we fire Coach Mac then ISU is a school that has fired three coaches since the spring of 2003. I am sure that is a great selling point to try and bring in another coach.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Agreed - set back to where? We are what 2nd to LAST in the B12, so dropping one more place really doesn't matter much.

redskinsisu

Apr 11, 2006
Agreed - set back to where? We are what 2nd to LAST in the B12, so dropping one more place really doesn't matter much.

So you want ISU to fire 3 coaches since 2003? I am sure the coaching community would line up to come to ISU after they have fired their last three coaches within a seven year span. Good luck finding a quality coach. That is not the image I want for ISU.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
So you want ISU to fire 3 coaches since 2003? I am sure the coaching community would line up to come to ISU after they have fired their last three coaches within a seven year span. Good luck finding a quality coach. That is not the image I want for ISU.

Do I want to..... no not really.

If mac would like to put together a year where we finish about .500 in the B12 that would be a nice start. But that hasn't happened in half a decade so I don't see much point in keeping him either.
I would like a coach to understand there are expectations. Now we've been down for some time. But we can't lower our expectations to just moral victories.
It is a cop out in my mind to say we should can him just because we have fired others. It is clear he has not gotten the job done - and I'm not seeing much that says he will get the job done. So why not move on if we can get someone. If we can't get someone let him stay here and we can maybe home for 10 place in the B12 next season.

Reactions: nickcyv

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
So you want ISU to fire 3 coaches since 2003? I am sure the coaching community would line up to come to ISU after they have fired their last three coaches within a seven year span

Maybe so — but even if WM's firing seems less clear-cut in retrospect, one of those coaches got the ax stemming from his own off-court behavior and if GMac were let go, it would be because of diminishing returns.

I think a lot of coaching prospects would understand circumstances that led to the decisions —*not as if ISU is pulling the trigger on scandal-free guys who win 24 games every year. That would be different.

cyclonezing

Dec 1, 2009
Burlington, IA
ISU fans, support the players, support the coach and support the program. The wins will come and the wins will come in bunches. I am tired of the negative fan base representing Iowa State on this message board.
For ISU Men’s Basketball, stability at the top will bring success.
For the current ISU players, future players and potential recruits. The negative fans that write negative messages do not represent Iowa State. Please don’t read the negative posts. Keep playing hard and representing Iowa State in a positive manner. The wins will come.
Chris Thomas
I want some of whatever it is you are smoking!

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis

I didn't want ISU to fire Coach Morgan so that is where the problem started. He had a 50-34 record after only three seasons. But JP did fire him because he "didn't want to settle for mediocrity," and now JP will look like a complete hypocrite if he hangs onto McDermott after four seasons that have been way worse than the mediocrity we had under Morgan. JP has no choice. McDermott has to go.

Colorado and Nebraska have a history of hanging onto truly mediocre coaches for 8 or 9 years. How has that worked for them? Kansas State and Mizzou made quicker changes and their new coaches have had immediate success. There's no reason why we need to settle for mediocrity. We have one of the best fan bases in the country. There will be plenty of good coaches who will take a look at ISU.

C

Cyclone42

What image DO you want? I am willing to bet REAL money -- not CF credits -- that we will finish square in DEAD LAST PLACE in the Big12 next year. Is that what you want?

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
My gosh I almost forgot about Oklahoma State. Sean Sutton (the son of a legend) resigned under pressure in 2008 after only 3 seasons and a record of 39-29.

That seems to have worked out pretty good for OSU. They found a quality coach in Travis Ford. Ford's recruiting has been even better than Sutton's recruiting which wasn't too bad.

Wait until you see the athletes that OSU brings to Ames on Wednesday (even without their stud freshman point guard Penn). You will see that GMac's recruiting is not getting it done.

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
A lot of the negativity is expectation that CB leaving after the season will leave us a lesser team next year and less hope for the future. It seems our new freshman players take forever to reach a level that allows them to substitute for others.

I am beginning to think we need a pile more of jucos like Strap and Dendy to compete. And we need more than one walkon.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
The MBB situation leaves me stunned and humbled but not ready to drop a nuclear bomb, so to speak. I think our "bigs" have Big 12 talent and all our guards are in over their heads, with the exception of Colvin. If Colvin can develop a shot, remember he is playing in his third month of ball post high school, he shows some skills. McD can not waste another year with DG at PG. I am hoping post season that JP has a sitdown with McD and says: "you get one more year to produce". I remember when JP announced the hiring of McD, it was seen as a great hire and JP is no dummy-he knows he was his guy and the clock is ticking. Have you noticed that Gary Thompson is unseen and unheard the past two years? He was the main power behind the decision and I have not heard or seen him for a few years when he used to be high profile-this tells me something.