Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Re: Keeler Fired from DMR

When I hear "fire" I think "disciplinary/performance is subpar". When I hear "layoff" I think "through no fault of the individual employee, they are losing their job due to external economic factors".

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

That's too bad. Keeler would at least write what he thought and not pander to the hawks.

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007

700 people getting laid off is a bad thing, also the demise of newspapers in this country is also a bad thing.

Also, if they replace the entire sports page, will there be any local coverage anymore?
There will be a market for local sports news but it won't be newspapers -- newspapers are leaving the news reporting world the way horses left farming. They will have a niche like horses still do. But how many papers do you see on people's porches these days or horses hitched to a plow or wagon. Life moves on and things change.

Last edited:

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames

When I hear "fire" I think "disciplinary/performance is subpar". When I hear "layoff" I think "through no fault of the individual employee, they are losing their job due to external economic factors".
Ah -- the English language. So full of exceptions to the rules. So full of words that have a generally used definition different from the official definition. So full of non-phonetic words. So often imprecise.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Keeler's not been overly positive, though iirc he had some nice things to say about our bball team this year.

I will say though, as i have before, anytime anyone at the register is fired before Rekha Basu, its a travesty. She should not still have a job.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

There will be a market for local sports news but it won't be newspapers -- newspapers are leaving the news reporting world the way horses left farming. They will have a niche like horses still do. But how many papers do you see on people's porches these days or hoses hitched to a plow or wagon. Life moves on and things change.

Opening the door further for sites like this to become people's first source for local sports info.

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa

It's appalling that anyone would cheer this or have this news bring a smile to their face. Do you guys think that Keeler made big bucks? I feel bad that he is out of a job and now will probably have to relocate his family to some other part of the country.

On a side note, I didn't always like his articles but he was always honest and didn't suger coat the issues we have had with our teams and athletic department. If I was looking for one writer's column in the DMR every Sunday, it was his article.

Best of luck to him in his career search.

Reactions: michaelrr1

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006

Jon Miller, what are you working on these days? I still hear your name in advertisements on WHO.

Enjoying the summer with my family and the time I have to do it. I sort of like this set up.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

It's appalling that anyone would cheer this or have this news bring a smile to their face. Do you guys think that Keeler made big bucks? I feel bad that he is out of a job and now will probably have to relocate his family to some other part of the country.

On a side note, I didn't always like his articles but he was always honest and didn't suger coat the issues we have had with our teams and athletic department. If I was looking for one writer's column in the DMR every Sunday, it was his article.

Best of luck to him in his career search.

Good point. Cheering his misfortune isn't great.

At the same time, this could turn out to be the best thing that ever happened to him. Quite possibly, he can use this as a chance to get into a medium or industry with a brighter future than the newspaper.

Instead of being shackled to something on a rapid decline, he can find something that has a chance for stability or growth. So it's rough in the short-term, but he's not an untalented guy. He'll end up with something better.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado

That is what we all have come to think over time. I was merely pointing out that technically if they called it a firing on the radio it would not be incorrect.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines

These employees were discharged from the DMR due to their positions being eliminated. A discharged is initiated by the employer, not the employee. A termination of employment is initiated by the employee.

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa

Good point. Cheering his misfortune isn't great.

At the same time, this could turn out to be the best thing that ever happened to him. Quite possibly, he can use this as a chance to get into a medium or industry with a brighter future than the newspaper.

Instead of being shackled to something on a rapid decline, he can find something that has a chance for stability or growth. So it's rough in the short-term, but he's not an untalented guy. He'll end up with something better.

I hope so and he is talented enough to be a nice pickup for a larger media company.