JUCO QB #1 Priority

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Ever heard of a guy named Steele Jantz? JUCO QB... How did that turn out genius? Time to grow up Peter Pan. Our QB's are not the problem...

If you watched the game this weekend (and all season), I have no idea how someone can say our "QBs are not the problem". No idea. Both QBs could not make basic throws that a high school quarterback should make. Accuracy has been a HUGE problem this year.

They em may not be the biggest issue (although I think it's right up there), but they are certainly part of the problem.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
QB'S are definitely an issue (one of many) at this time. There is no question that they haven't been helped out by the OL and their injuries, but they missed elementary throws yesterday. All game. The INT by Sam was a very easy throw that he sailed. Daley had a likely TD on an easy slant route that Grant missed behind him. There was single coverage outside most of the game and they didn't check off to it. How many times yesterday did Waters just throw a fade and let his WR make a play? Yet we didn't do that once.

Bundrage had his guy beat inside on a post twice in the first qtr and we Sam didn't get him the ball either time. Bundrage has shown enough this year to where our QB's have to trust him.

With all that said, I'm not writing either QB off. They are young, shaken up, and not put in great spots. I would still like to go find the best JUCO QB available just to see what you got for 2014. We will have the best group of WR's in our history but you gotta have somebody that can make some throws.

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
I think Sam needs to trust his line more. I understand he is pressured a lot but he gets happy feet right away and makes bad throws. Could be mechanics, could be his ability but either way if he hangs in and learns to make his reads quicker he can succeed. The receivers also have to start hanging on to the ball, hell the whole team, offense and defense needs to go through a week of catching, catching and more catching. I have never seen so many dropped balls in a season and last year was pretty bad.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am
QB'S are definitely an issue (one of many) at this time. There is no question that they haven't been helped out by the OL and their injuries, but they missed elementary throws yesterday. All game. The INT by Sam was a very easy throw that he sailed. Daley had a likely TD on an easy slant route that Grant missed behind him. There was single coverage outside most of the game and they didn't check off to it. How many times yesterday did Waters just throw a fade and let his WR make a play? Yet we didn't do that once.

Bundrage had his guy beat inside on a post twice in the first qtr and we Sam didn't get him the ball either time. Bundrage has shown enough this year to where our QB's have to trust him.

With all that said, I'm not writing either QB off. They are young, shaken up, and not put in great spots. I would still like to go find the best JUCO QB available just to see what you got for 2014. We will have the best group of WR's in our history but you gotta have somebody that can make some throws.

Point number one: You're absolutely right, but I would add that it wasn't just all game, it's been all season.

Point number two: I'm with you on this one again, however, there is no doubt there are issues at the QB position that need tweaking, one way or another.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
One of our guys is a RS Soph., the other is a RS Freshman. How can people write them off given the horrible handling and coaching they have received and given the fact that they are trying to run a tossed salad "system" that nobody recognizes. Give them a decent scheme, a little confidence and a decent line and then let's critique them.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Rhoads can say whatever he wants but when literally every QB after Arnaud has regressed throughout their career, there's more to it. Of course he's going to say that instead of "My QB coach has no idea how to teach our guys and I continue to **** with their minds by moving them in and out after I have named them the guy and played them through a ton of injuries only to then create my own little controversy because I can't see that they aren't the problem." Jake Waters wouldn't succeed here. No one is going to succeed here under the current scoring scheme. Part of the problem is that they trying to form some sort of offense that is some combination of a spread option base and an air raid base. This is what happens when you do that. Either you recruit Pat White/Denard Robinson/Marcus Mariotta or you recruit Graham Harrell/Brandon Weedon/Colt McCoy. Using the read option as your base run is fine if you have one of those first three. It doesn't work so well with the last three. As a supplement, it's fine but our guys don't scare anyone when running. They aren't going to take off on you very often. So then, you have taken the big threat away from the spread option offense.

There are reasons for this "regression" you speak of outside of the coach himself.

Changing coaches from Herman to Mess. Mess has only had 1 year, and Richardson has looked good when healthy, protected and confident.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Realize that Iowa state has not recruited to the level that young, inexperienced guys can come in and make an immediate big time impact. The current ceiling for our program is around 9 wins when we are healthy, experienced, talented, and have great leaders.

Right now we have some talent, no leadership, lots of injuries, and no confidence. The result is a perfect storm into this awful season.

The 2012 cyclones would win 8-9 games with the 2013 schedule. Same coaching staff.

Last edited:

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
There are reasons for this "regression" you speak of outside of the coach himself.

Changing coaches from Herman to Mess. Mess has only had 1 year, and Richardson has looked good when healthy, protected and confident.

Meh, that's being a bit generous IMO. He definitely looks better when healthy because he does have a knack for escaping the heat at times, and he can bust one for big yardage at any given moment. But both of those things allude to his wheels, not his arm. We've got some big time WRs lining up for the next few years, which should be the strength of our offense...unless we don't have a QB that can fling the ball down field and get in these guys' hands. Not saying SR can't do that, but the doubt is becoming harder and harder to ignore when I see him miss some easy targets.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
Realize that Iowa state has not recruited to the level that young, inexperienced guys can come in and make an immediate big time impact. The current ceiling for our program is around 9 wins when we are healthy, experienced, talented, and have great leaders.

Right now we have some talent, no leadership, lots of injuries, and no confidence. The result is a perfect storm into this awful season.

The 2012 cyclones would win 8-9 games with the 2013 schedule. Same coaching staff.

Pretty much agree with you all the way around here. It does seem to me that the 8-9 win seasons will only happen on rare occasion, when we are heavily weighted with upperclassmen. Along with that we'd most likely be fairly experienced, with some good leadership. Overall team health would be extremely advantageous, as you alluded to.

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
Richardson and Rohach aren't the answers. Nothing against them...I'm sure they're great students and teammates. Bring in a JUCO QB for the next couple of years and hope that Hodge is as good as advertised.

This ISU team reminds me of the Chiefs last year. Poor QB play, terrible offensive coordinator, and lack of basic fundamentals destroyed their season. This can be fixed. Rhoads won't let this go on without making major changes this winter. I have total faith in him.

No, what the team needs is someone who can coach and develop QBs. So far, Messingham's track record is not good at all.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
No, what the team needs is someone who can coach and develop QBs. So far, Messingham's track record is not good at all.

What is his track record? Richardson went from "not ready" at the beginning of 2012 to the 5th leading passer in the big 12 ypg as of last week. And hes spent most of the season behind a young banged up o line and injured himself.

And he's still just a sophomore

Reactions: Aclone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I'd have to put "Get Healthy" at #1. And I had to chuckle at whoever said that there was no depth on the offensive line. We've played our 3rd string center and left tackle now, and second stringers at every other spot...

In 2009, the only injury on the OL was at the very end of the year, when senior walkon Sean Smith(?) stepped into a starting role. Six deep was all the line went then.

Sure, there are other things wrong. But how do you judge a players performance when they've had the bejeebus beaten out of them all year?

Edit: I'm guessing lots of you are too young to remember Archie Manning, and what he looked like when with the New Orleans Saints...

Last edited:

CurvedAir

Sep 30, 2012
Kansas City
The more laughable thing is fans continue to think just fix the QB and the offense is good. Ignoring the fact the line has been terrible (even when healthy) and the receiver group has been the biggest issue with this program for 6 years.

But yeah, just replace the QB and it's all bunnies-n-sunshine!

With this morning's news, Rhoads obviously disagrees. You might want to call him and tell him he's making a mistake based on your insight. Seems pretty clear to me that he has serious doubts that either is the long term option.

Last edited:

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Obviously there are 20 Cam Newtons sitting in JuCos across the country just waiting for their chance to come in and change the entire offense. They all want to come to ISU as well. Why can't Rhoads see that?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
A confident and mostly healthy SR carved up Texas' defense for most of that game. The rotating MASH unit offensive line and running backs have shattered SRs confidence. Even if he was 100% healthy it's hard to get over that mentally.

They are starting Grant to try and get a spark.

CurvedAir

Sep 30, 2012
Kansas City
Obviously there are 20 Cam Newtons sitting in JuCos across the country just waiting for their chance to come in and change the entire offense. They all want to come to ISU as well. Why can't Rhoads see that?

That's ignorant. There are plenty of QB's around the country that can perform at the level of either Rohach or Richardson. This position is a big problem right now. At the very least, there should be some competition next year with both of them. Rhoads obviously agrees. But, I'm sure you know more than him. You might want to update your resume and send it in to Pollard.

Last edited:

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
That's ignorant. There are plenty of QB's around the country that can perform at the level of either Rohach or Richardson. This position is a big problem right now. Rhoads obviously agrees. But, I'm sure you know more than him. You might want to update your resume and send it in to Pollard.

Maybe so, but with this coaching staff I'm not sure it makes a difference.

Fishhead

Oct 6, 2010
well, always great to wake up to a stupid post. You could put Joe Montana in this offense and things would still be ugly.

Ok, I will be the one to respond to this softball post for some sarchasm that adds nothing to the thread. Dude is 57, yes it would be ugly

Help Support Us

Become a patron