JUCO QB #1 Priority

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Alex Smith was OK when he played for Norv Turner as OC for the 49ers. Then he became a "bad" QB under Mike Nolan and Singletary (coaches with a defensive pedigree). Funny how much better he looked when Jim Harbaugh came to town. Harbaugh knew what Smith could do and set him up to succeed. Went out of his way not to throw him under the bus and schemed to his strenghts. That continues in KC under Andy. No one will ever accuse Alex Smith of being elite, but you can win with him. Sam R strikes me as the same kind of player. I have high hopes that when we make a change in OC he will be fine.

This is exactly what I was thinking. This guy has shown some ability. We can win with him. We just need a different offensive scheme/ coaching staff.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
#1 Priority?

I'm just a regular fan, but if I'm prioritizing, I'm feeling something like this:

#1 Coaching/Player Development
#2 O-line
#3 D-line
#4 Linebackers
#5 WR development
#6 QB play

(#3-#5 are pretty close...)

So, maybe we can change the title of the thread to "#6 Priority?" :twitcy:

Last edited:
Reactions: Aclone

bdnichols2000

Dec 19, 2008
I think Rhoads said on his call is show they have a JC QB they are targeting for this years recruiting class. A guy that would fit perfect into what they are trying to do on offense, I believe was his quote. I'm not exactly sure what they are trying to do, so it would be nice to find out.

TurdFerguson

Sep 13, 2013
I agree that the QB position has been our achilles heel for the past 8 years or so. I haven't seen consistently solid QB play since Bret Meyer's sophomore season or so. No offense to any of our QBs of the past, but the comparison to other QBs in the conference is evident. From what I've seen from SR in the last year, it's apparent to me that the trend will continue. Yes, you could make an argument with the injuries and protection issues, but IMO he hasn't shown the arm strength or accuracy to convince me that he's the answer. I find it hard to believe that having a guy like Manziel (as much as I can't stand him) or Winston couldn't make this Offense effective. I understand that getting guys of that skillset to Ames is an uphill battle, but if Baylor can bring in RG3, I have faith that it's possible. I may be wrong, but I haven't seen us go all-in on a highly touted QB recruit for a while. Personally, I am not a fan of our Offensive scheme since it limits the recruits we go after in order to fit our style.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
This is what I looked at a great deal yesterday, and for the last few weeks really. Our WRs are getting plenty of separation, most of the time. A receiver doesn't need several yards of space if the timing of the QB is even remotely in the same time zone as the WR's break or cut. Again, I'm not trashing our QBs, but our receivers are getting the necessary separation.
They need to catch the balls in their area then. The WRs were the weak link yesterday.

liljones13

Mar 27, 2006
Springville, IA
Richardson and Rohach aren't the answers. Nothing against them...I'm sure they're great students and teammates. Bring in a JUCO QB for the next couple of years and hope that Hodge is as good as advertised.

This ISU team reminds me of the Chiefs last year. Poor QB play, terrible offensive coordinator, and lack of basic fundamentals destroyed their season. This can be fixed. Rhoads won't let this go on without making major changes this winter. I have total faith in him.

Ever heard of a guy named Steele Jantz? JUCO QB... How did that turn out genius? Time to grow up Peter Pan. Our QB's are not the problem...

CurvedAir

Sep 30, 2012
Kansas City
As a simpleton ballwatcher, I don't expect you to get it.

QB changes this year are nothing but getting Sam out when it's a futile attempt with him not being effective when hurt.

Bad throw can be on the QB or WR (and poor blocking that rushed a throw). Receiver may look open and in right spot to a ballwatcher - but that's not always the case. The receivers get little separation. Makes every throw that much harder as the QB is forced to be perfect. No consistency and the QB has no chance to get into rhythm.

Even on good play - QB is expecting the line to be bad and receivers to barely get separation.

But when you only watch the ball - you don't see it.

As a ballwatcher though - you should have noted the multiple dropped passes. There were just as many of those as "bad throws".

Wrong again. Missing open receivers by 15-20 feet with no pressure is on the QB Jon Gruden wannabe.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I think Rhoads said on his call is show they have a JC QB they are targeting for this years recruiting class. A guy that would fit perfect into what they are trying to do on offense, I believe was his quote. I'm not exactly sure what they are trying to do, so it would be nice to find out.

I believe he was talking about bringing in one freshman QB, not a JUCO. And I believe that would be Darius Lee-Campbell.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am
They need to catch the balls in their area then. The WRs were the weak link yesterday.

I fully agree that they need to catch the ball. I would still say that the WRs and QBs were both the weak links. My point in an earlier post was not that the WRs played well, just that they are getting the separation needed most of the time.

Ry4Cy

Nov 4, 2010
Ankeny
Yeah replace the QB....He hasn't made a single top 10 sports center play yet. Absolutely pathetic. ..:rolleyes:

UncleCy

Jan 14, 2013
Exactly. It would help if the o-line was healthy. It will be better with a couple 4-star WRs next year. Regardless, however, why would any highly-rated QB want to come play here? This staff has shown the ability to ruin every QB they touch. I blame Rhoads for that as much as anybody. It's really tough to play QB at this level even if you have the support of the coaching staff. It's damn near impossible to do it while constantly looking over your shoulder. I don't know how these kids keep their sanity.

Rhoads can say whatever he wants but when literally every QB after Arnaud has regressed throughout their career, there's more to it. Of course he's going to say that instead of "My QB coach has no idea how to teach our guys and I continue to **** with their minds by moving them in and out after I have named them the guy and played them through a ton of injuries only to then create my own little controversy because I can't see that they aren't the problem." Jake Waters wouldn't succeed here. No one is going to succeed here under the current scoring scheme. Part of the problem is that they trying to form some sort of offense that is some combination of a spread option base and an air raid base. This is what happens when you do that. Either you recruit Pat White/Denard Robinson/Marcus Mariotta or you recruit Graham Harrell/Brandon Weedon/Colt McCoy. Using the read option as your base run is fine if you have one of those first three. It doesn't work so well with the last three. As a supplement, it's fine but our guys don't scare anyone when running. They aren't going to take off on you very often. So then, you have taken the big threat away from the spread option offense.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'm not sure why nobody things Sam can run the read option. He is a great running QB. He has good vision of the field and can elude tacklers, not to mention he's fast. Only real downside to him running is his durability. Not a big kid by any means.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Richardson and Rohach aren't the answers. Nothing against them...I'm sure they're great students and teammates. Bring in a JUCO QB for the next couple of years and hope that Hodge is as good as advertised.

This ISU team reminds me of the Chiefs last year. Poor QB play, terrible offensive coordinator, and lack of basic fundamentals destroyed their season. This can be fixed. Rhoads won't let this go on without making major changes this winter. I have total faith in him.

Not even close.

1. A new set of offensive coaches. A QB coach that teaches the QB to run through all of his reads and how to hit an open receiver. A WR coach that teaches the WRs how to get open and hold onto catchable passes. An OL coach that teaches the OL how to block. And an OC that knows how to run an offense with appropriate playcalling, regardless of whatever offense we run.

2. We need the OL to get healthy and then recruit to fill in the holes and build depth. Because what has been crystal clear is this OL has no depth and is a major reason why this offense does not work.

3. We need more receivers and TEs that have speed, can run routes, shake coverage, and catch balls.

4. We need more than Wimberly at RB.

5. I think we would be fine at QB with Richardson and even Rohach if much of the above were true - they were properly coached to begin with, they had enough protection from the OL, the receivers run the right routes, get open, and hold onto passes. I'm not saying Richardson hasn't been part of the problem, but if he were healthy and were playing in a better offense he would be so much better.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'm not sure why nobody things Sam can run the read option. He is a great running QB. He has good vision of the field and can elude tacklers, not to mention he's fast. Only real downside to him running is his durability. Not a big kid by any means.

How many rushing touchdowns does he have? Yeah, he can run it. He does fine with it but right now he isn't playing and he hasn't been healthy all year. He get's 5-10 yards here and there and the next time, he get's nothing. Teams know we can't chunk out 5-7 yard consistently so they will give up 10 yards to Sam if they get to hit him and they will force us to keep executing. Is he effective at times? Yes. Is it sustainable? No. Clint Chelf looked like the option master against us? Why? it wasn't because he was so damn slick. It was because we were willing to let him go.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
How many rushing touchdowns does he have? Yeah, he can run it. He does fine with it but right now he isn't playing and he hasn't been healthy all year. He get's 5-10 yards here and there and the next time, he get's nothing. Teams know we can't chunk out 5-7 yard consistently so they will give up 10 yards to Sam if they get to hit him and they will force us to keep executing. Is he effective at times? Yes. Is it sustainable? No. Clint Chelf looked like the option master against us? Why? it wasn't because he was so damn slick. It was because we were willing to let him go.
Sam is serviceable at running the read option, but a much better scrambler. I guess I should have specified

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
If there is a very good JC QB out there, then ISU should go after him. Sam has been good at time and not good at others. Kind of like SJ without the bizarre turnovers. He and Grant both missed wide open guys on Saturday, both not seeing them or missing them badly with passes. The DL is probably the biggest need on this team, but the QB play has not been so great either.