JTS Improvements - Want More

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
It’s not the look of the Jacobson that I don’t like. It’s that fact that it’s sitting where a fully functional NEZ should be.

)Yes, with accommodations for kid zones among the amenities)

I've always thought it looked small in the NEZ, but IMO they've addressed that some with this project. I don't think that it's going anywhere any time soon.

I still think that if they put some of their precast panels on the video board supports, it would tie the whole thing together a little more.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I've always thought it looked small in the NEZ, but IMO they've addressed that some with this project. I don't think that it's going anywhere any time soon.

I still think that if they put some of their precast panels on the video board supports, it would tie the whole thing together a little more.

Lets be honest, for when it was built and when a lot of the initial improvements were made it probably seemed extravagant given the quality of teams we were fielding.

Now some of this stuff seems small and doesn't work, but I can remember people in the band being excited back in '03 that we had real bleachers in the south endzone that had solid floors and not something you'd find at a small high school or at the little league field where stuff could fall down through the open spots in the floor.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I can remember people in the band being excited back in '03 that we had real bleachers in the south endzone that had solid floors and not something you'd find at a small high school or at the little league field where stuff could fall down through the open spots in the floor.

The scaffolding-style "bleachers" in the SEZ in the late '90s and early '00s were brutal on instruments. Boards flexed, something got bumped, and it was 10+ feet straight down to the asphalt.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Now some of this stuff seems small and doesn't work, but I can remember people in the band being excited back in '03 that we had real bleachers in the south endzone that had solid floors and not something you'd find at a small high school or at the little league field where stuff could fall down through the open spots in the floor.

Note that in the article about Tom Kroeschell’s retirement, it’s mentioned that when he was first hired, the Sports Information Department was in a double-wide trailer next to the Olsen Building.

For six years.

Even better, they weren’t the only department using it.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Note that in the article about Tom Kroeschell’s retirement, it’s mentioned that when he was first hired, the Sports Information Department was in a double-wide trailer next to the Olsen Building.

For six years.

Even better, they weren’t the only department using it.

But it was a double-wide! That's pretty fancy.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
You have to think, if we continue to have the success we're having, season ticket sales will continue to increase each season and you'll have to find more room for non season ticket holders...which would result in probably expanding the stadium again. I think 65k is a reasonable expectation in the next 5-10 years for Jack Trice.

Reactions: Aclone

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
When the SEZ was completed, how many additional seats did that add?

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
When the SEZ was completed, how many additional seats did that add?
well official capacity before hand was 55k and now it's 61.5k...but I don't know if that factors in the hillsides as "seating" or what...I think the Sukup Endzone itself added about 3k

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
So... if the NEZ were to be fully completed, are we looking at 70k? 75K?

I don't think the Hillsides are counted as seats, currently.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
So... if the NEZ were to be fully completed, are we looking at 70k? 75K?

I don't think the Hillsides are counted as seats, currently.
depends on the type of seating you put...if you put bleacher style, you'll significantly increase the capacity...if you put chairbacks, less so

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
The listed capacity starting in '07 was 55,000, but the stadium could hold more and did for a few games (dependent on the number of standing room/hillside tickets). After the SEZ project capacity has been listed at 61,500 and that seems to be a more firm number. So I'd say that project resulted in an increase in capacity of about 5,000 over the previous configuration including seating in the end zone and two hillsides. Because there are currently no end zone bleachers on the north other than the band, I would guess an identical project would increase capacity to around 70,000.

Last edited:

quadmann

Apr 26, 2021
Indianola
Based on the Rebar sticking out of the top of the walls of the tunnel that were poured it appears that there will be a "lid" on the remainder of the tunnel.

View attachment 84914
Or if they pour a concrete guardrail on top of those walls like what’s on top of the retaining wall, those rebar would be the attachment point.

If they do put a cover on it, the southeast corner of it will not be covered with dirt. Notice how high up the south tunnel wall is where it attaches to the retaining wall.

Reactions: Cyclonscin

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Thanks so much for this incredible information. What is your opinion of the fiber enriched mix? For a garage slab, should I still use rebar? Or better yet, Gatorbar? And, finally, what recommendation would you have for the type of concrete for this little project, wild life likely walking on it over night and strong enough to hold 6 cords of wood, being my biggest concerns?

Fiber is good for control surface/shrinkage cracking (think small, spiderweb looking cracks). It doesn't add any real substantial tensile strength. If you do put in fiber, make sure they are synthetic and not steel.

I'd use rebar for a garage slab, especially if it's in an area that has had fill dirt placed. #4 @ 12" O.C. minimum would be my thought. I'd also go with a 6" slab. Any thinner and the rebar (assuming it's placed correctly on dobies with 2" of cover) is sitting in the middle of the slab and doesn't do anything for you.

Have never heard of gatorbar. I know the composite bars are starting to make an inroads but traditional steel rebar is just fine. Biggest thing is to make sure that its sitting on dobies or chair prior to placement. Don't let them try and get away with saying they'll hook it and pull it up. That's BS and doesn't work.

You should be fine with a 3-3.5 ksi mix (probably the plants standard house mix). As long as the concrete gets placed early in the day, it should be firm enough to resist wild life footprints by the end of the day. Fire wood is relatively light.