JTS Improvements - Want More

danwbarrett

Mar 29, 2006
University City, MO
Here’s a diversion that is somewhat related. On Saturday, we saw a fox on the west side of the stadium. Went up the main stairs on the right, went past the tribute wall, and back down the main stairs in the left. Then jaunted toward Reiman Gardens, including a run the stone wall.

View attachment 84864 View attachment 84865 View attachment 84866
Please read the Tribune article on the fox project and send your pictures and sighting information to [email protected].

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

quadmann

Apr 26, 2021
Indianola

1620074733163.png
For those of us wondering if the east end of the tunnel will be covered, I found this older post that has a preliminary sketch of the north end zone (showing the end open). They may have changed plans after this was drawn but it sure matches the outline of tunnel walls they just poured today.

I think leaving it open would make for a more dramatic team entrance (with crowds hanging over the fence on top) when put up on the big video screens. Either way, we should know in couple weeks.

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
View attachment 84869
For those of us wondering if the east end of the tunnel will be covered, I found this older post that has a preliminary sketch of the north end zone (showing the end open). They may have changed plans after this was drawn but it sure matches the outline of tunnel walls they just poured today.

I think leaving it open would make for a more dramatic team entrance (with crowds hanging over the fence on top) when put up on the big video screens. Either way, we should know in couple weeks.
It feels like the crowds can line the fence all the way down now. So they can be directly on top of the tunnel exit and then all along the walkway between the wall and the Jacobson Building down to the corner of the hillside.

Reactions: quadmann

danwbarrett

Mar 29, 2006
University City, MO
It feels like the crowds can line the fence all the way down now. So they can be directly on top of the tunnel exit and then all along the walkway between the wall and the Jacobson Building down to the corner of the hillside.
The ground will be 6-8' lower than the top of the wall and thus fans on the hill would only see the team at the tunnel if it is uncovered.

quadmann

Apr 26, 2021
Indianola
The other end of the tunnel will be nice as well. If you look on the webcam at the SPC; the big doorway with the steps opens into the new football locker room. So on game day, the team will descend those steps as they head to the tunnel with cheering fans lining the way.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
We only brought in pony kegs. 20 guys walking together into the student gate could get anything into the stadium.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Aclone

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I didn’t do the bar scene too much. The only ones I remember for sure being at are Whiskey River on Main, the Tip Top and a bar in the basement of a building sitting where Dunkin Donuts is now (across from campus).

Wow, looking at campus with google maps, I hardly recognize it with all the new buildings!!
What’sunder whatzunder, sorry don’t remember how it was spelled. Had a strong drink called the WhatsBlitz in a glass with a deposit. And a small enclosed kind of swing.

Reactions: quadmann

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Concrete doesn't fully cure for 4 weeks and doing past commercial construction even with the forms and supports the concrete will only have foot traffic unless an engineer signs off on it.

What type of drying/hardening agent do they use on road concrete? The cement trucks are driving on that the very next day going to the paving machines. I was amazed how quickly they could drive a full cement truck on it. If this is out of your realm never mind.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Since I have bad eyes, I’ll ask. Did they pour the elevated walk north of the Jake, or do they just have the forms ready for it?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Since I have bad eyes, I’ll ask. Did they pour the elevated walk north of the Jake, or do they just have the forms ready for it?

I don't think that they've poured that yet, but it looks like it's going to happen soon. Personally, I don't know why they didn't make that steel. Seems like the raised concrete walkways start crumbling after a few years.

• Informative
Reactions: Aclone

quadmann

Apr 26, 2021
Indianola
What type of drying/hardening agent do they use on road concrete? The cement trucks are driving on that the very next day going to the paving machines. I was amazed how quickly they could drive a full cement truck on it. If this is out of your realm never mind.
When I worked for the county years ago they would allow 10 to 14 days before it was open to traffic. For intersections that couldn’t be kept closed that long they would add accelerators and those they would open back up within one or two days.

IIRC, they didn't use it for the whole job because it was harder to work with (shorter working time) and was not as strong as regular concrete. I can't imagine they would want heavy concrete trucks driving on it that soon, but maybe the technology has advanced in the last 40 years.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

CloneSt8

Aug 1, 2011
Building code required height for the guardrail with over a 30" drop is 42". So I would not believe they would have much more that that.

quadmann

Apr 26, 2021
Indianola
They're taking off the forms for the tunnel walls this morning. I’m thinking they’ll start backfilling around them later today.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron