JTS Improvements - Want More

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
What type of drying/hardening agent do they use on road concrete? The cement trucks are driving on that the very next day going to the paving machines. I was amazed how quickly they could drive a full cement truck on it. If this is out of your realm never mind.

The chemistry in modern concrete is pretty ridiculous nowadays.

You can basically make it do whatever you want. Want to be able to drive fully loaded trucks on it in a couple of hours? Throw in some accelerator and pray the truck doesn't get delayed on the way to the jobsite. Want the concrete to not fully set for two weeks (i.e be able to drive a 16d nail in with minimal effort)? Just have the plant have a leak on their Delvo (set retarder) and not know about it. Once that finally kicks it'll be just as strong (if not stronger) than the correctly mixed concrete.

Want the concrete to stay fluid and not set for 12 hours while doing a phased placement and then kick and jump to a certain psi within 2 hours so you can reopen a bridge? They can do that as well.

The 28 day strength is for a "normal" concrete to get full design strength. In modern bridge construction you typically use a mix that can get 70% of that strength in under 7 days (sometimes as short as 2 days) so whatever you are pouring can handle construction loads.

That doesn't even get into the entire world of rapid set concrete that you do out of a volumetric mixer. That stuff you can walk on 15 minutes after it hits the ground and you can drive on it an hour.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
The chemistry in modern concrete is pretty ridiculous nowadays.

You can basically make it do whatever you want. Want to be able to drive fully loaded trucks on it in a couple of hours? Throw in some accelerator and pray the truck doesn't get delayed on the way to the jobsite. Want the concrete to not fully set for two weeks (i.e be able to drive a 16d nail in with minimal effort)? Just have the plant have a leak on their Delvo (set retarder) and not know about it. Once that finally kicks it'll be just as strong (if not stronger) than the correctly mixed concrete.

Want the concrete to stay fluid and not set for 12 hours while doing a phased placement and then kick and jump to a certain psi within 2 hours so you can reopen a bridge? They can do that as well.

The 28 day strength is for a "normal" concrete to get full design strength. In modern bridge construction you typically use a mix that can get 70% of that strength in under 7 days (sometimes as short as 2 days) so whatever you are pouring can handle construction loads.

That doesn't even get into the entire world of rapid set concrete that you do out of a volumetric mixer. That stuff you can walk on 15 minutes after it hits the ground and you can drive on it an hour.
Thanks so much for this incredible information. What is your opinion of the fiber enriched mix? For a garage slab, should I still use rebar? Or better yet, Gatorbar? And, finally, what recommendation would you have for the type of concrete for this little project, wild life likely walking on it over night and strong enough to hold 6 cords of wood, being my biggest concerns?

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
This is awesome! You can finally get a sense of how much this will change the appearance of the stadium.

Side note: Looks like this was taken last Friday when they were disassembling the big yellow crane.
And now I see all the talk about the rigid foam. My guess is that it doesn't go any closer to the field than the actual concourse width. And considering the proximity of the exterior wall, I still see it as frost prevention. Upheaving on soil is no big deal, but that sidewalk would be toast.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Great flyover pics! Wondering what will happen with this corner yet. For those of us that sit in those lower sections it is a cat herding event to get out. I would love to get a section of the grass as I assume they will probably be tearing this out.

1620138494627.png

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Looks like the concrete trucks are lining up now. Guessing they are waiting for the pumper truck and they’ll pour that elevated walkway.

quadmann

Apr 26, 2021
Indianola
Looks like the concrete trucks are lining up now. Guessing they are waiting for the pumper truck and they’ll pour that elevated walkway.
I have been seeing a steady stream of them starting around 11 am.

My mistake. I also thought they were pouring the walkway but looks like they are pouring north of the SPC. :(

Last edited:

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I have been seeing a steady stream of them starting around 11 am.

My mistake. I also thought they were pouring the walkway but looks like they are pouring north of the SPC. :(
Yeah, I thought it was the walkway too. Probably a parking lot?

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
Still hope the Jacobson Building goes at some point. (obviously not in this phase of construction)
Bill Anderson was picked as architect by GS. If they would have stuck with the concept by Cal Lewis, it would still fit and saved money down the road. The same team was responsible for the short sighted press box. G S did us no favors. He could be bought IMO.

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Bill Anderson was picked as architect by GS. If they would have stuck with the concept by Cal Lewis, it would still fit and saved money down the road. The same team was responsible for the short sighted press box. G S did us no favors. He could be bought IMO.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't mind the jacobson building at all. That being said, does anyone have the concept from Cal Lewis? (a quick google search didn't find anything) Maybe I only like the jake because that's what's there.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't mind the jacobson building at all. That being said, does anyone have the concept from Cal Lewis? (a quick google search didn't find anything) Maybe I only like the jake because that's what's there.
If you really look at the Jake it's just a box with an expensive roof that didn't work. Really not much of a design.

Reactions: Haverhill

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
It’s not the look of the Jacobson that I don’t like. It’s that fact that it’s sitting where a fully functional NEZ should be.

(Yes, with accommodations for kid zones among the amenities)

Last edited: