Jon Miller

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Chuck will be there on Wednesday, as I have a vacation day for that day, my anniversary.

+ rep for hanging out (maybe trolling?:wink:) on a Cyclone site at 11:30 PM.

-keep.

Oh, a question I posted on HN. Can Iowa still practice until they know for sure on the bowl limbo situation? Or can they only practice one they know?

herbiedoobie

Jan 3, 2007
Germany
His source must be that other retard that rides his bike delivering newspapers and calling in on a cell phone on the other hand.

That would be the dude from Newton. I love that guy. We used to taunt each other when we'd meet on the street. (all in good fun, of course) He rides a three-wheeler delivery bike, festooned with hawkeye flags and other hawkcrap, and carries a bunch of Newton papers in the back.

Dang, it's amazing the stuff you miss when you've been gone for awhile.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Some folks think that I live and die by all of this. I do not. I received several emails on Saturday after the loss, from folks that were genuine, and from the doobies of the world. To each of them, I said don't have any worry for me, because I have never felt better about every aspect of my life than I do right now. It's just a game. It's a game that I wanted Iowa to win, but it's still just a game, it's entertainment. It's not church, it's not a marriage, it's not an afternoon with my daughter; it's a game.

I must say I respect hearing this - an Iowa fan that actually gets that, although it's fun to cheer for your team, it's not everything in life. That's kind of how I approach it. I am as much of a Cyclone fan as anyone else and probably more so than most (I've developed a reputation at work, as I have an entire "Cyclone Wall" in my cubicle and usually wear ISU stuff at least 3 times a week), but in the end it doesn't define who I am. My wife, my family, kids (in the near future), and most importantly my faith is what defines me. Being a Cyclone Fanatic is just something fun to do while I'm spinning away on this rock. This pretty much flies in the face of my brother-in-law, where how the Cubs, Bears, and Hawkeyes performs pretty much determines his mood on a week-by-week basis. I swear he's going to need a prescription for Prozac the way Iowa performed on Saturday and this season in general...

herbiedoobie

Jan 3, 2007
Germany
Chuck will be there on Wednesday, as I have a vacation day for that day, my anniversary.

So, it's 4 years since you decided to become a hawkfan? Or is it 3 years since you decided you could soak hawkfan for a living?

Or.... it's 4 years since the hawks were any good?

C'mon, man, I'm dying here.... what kind of anniversary is it?:tongue:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I am sure Iowa can keep practicing since they are bowl eligible.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Gary Barta Major Announcement

The Hawks Admin proudly announces, after proper payment to the NCAA for a new sancitioned bowl, for the Hawks to play in - The Early Caucus Bowl. Since the Hawkeyes will not be going to any of the real bowls, Gary has taken it upon himself to ressurrect the bowling tradition in UNI. The bowl is a charity event for the Poor Sisters of the Railroads. It will be played at a neutral site in Iowa - Cedar Rapids in an appropriate inside arena (hockey rink). The theme will be to pit the best two Iowa teams who did not play each other this year. Interest is building in Iowa City, Cedar falls, and Des Moines Rag as the match will pit the homeland Iowa Hawkeyes against the Outsiders - UNI Panthers. The date for the game will be just before the caucuses on 1 Jan. Halftime entertainment will be Barrack Bommma, Billilary, RudyG, I am not Milt, I am Mitch, and Johhny Edwards in a 10 minute debate on football. Cheerleaders will be rented/provided by the Swedish Board of Trade. Refs will be from the Euro league. Game time has been set for 8:00 PM on Versus. Announcers will be the Zabel and Tator. This international bowl game will be played every four years in memory of the Early Caucuses, an extravaganza unto itself. Go get em, herk/Kirk. Eat the Panther coach just like Mangino.

Gary in Charge

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Is Miller honestly spending the ENTIRE show on Wrestling... I realize some of you like the sport but I would guess the overwhelming majority doesn't care much...

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
well, why would he talk about the BB games this weekend?

honestly... why would he do that?

-keep

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Is Miller honestly spending the ENTIRE show on Wrestling... I realize some of you like the sport but I would guess the overwhelming majority doesn't care much...

We did just have a meet in Hilton this weekend where we were ranked #1 in the nation. That doesn't happen very often for ISU atheltics.

I think it is good that wrestling is getting some press. Do I enjoy following wrestling? No. But we are in Iowa and it is a pretty big sport here.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

How could anyone spend more than 10 min talking about wrestling? I watched the whole match this weekend, and it was just not exciting. I have seen ISU v Iowa matches in the past that have been fun to watch. This one had nothing, it was just slow and boring.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
We did just have a meet in Hilton this weekend where we were ranked #1 in the nation. That doesn't happen very often for ISU atheltics.

I think it is good that wrestling is getting some press. Do I enjoy following wrestling? No. But we are in Iowa and it is a pretty big sport here.

agreed. i do enjoy following wrestling, and i think that the majority of those who don't enjoy it feel that way due to a lack of exposure. the state of iowa has a lot of respect for its wrestling programs from little kids all the way through the college ranks, and it still doesn't get a lot of publicity from the local media. if they televised half as many wrestling meets as they did basketball games, i think you might see a spike in interest in the sport-especially with the b-ball teams we have been displaying the last few years.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Uh, there seems to be a ton (%-wise) of ISU and Iowa meets on every single year on IPTV. A lot more than you'd think would be televised anyway.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
I find it rather convenient that wrestling is dominating the conversation today on Miller and on SoundOff last night. Wrestling is the new favorite sport for most Hawk fans because that is one of the few sports they actually beat us at this year. I've got a question, would wrestling be dominating the conversation on Miller today had ISU won? I'll give you that it was an upset and our basketball teams aren't exactly spectacular, but wrestling usually doesn't get this much press, especially after an Iowa/ISU basketball game happening on the same weekend. Right or wrong, the press typically pays more attention to men's basketball here, even though wrestling is popular. Not trying to be a hater Jon, I like your show and listen whenever I can, but it does seem convenient.

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
Uh, there seems to be a ton (%-wise) of ISU and Iowa meets on every single year on IPTV. A lot more than you'd think would be televised anyway.

I'll agree that it does seem that way, but I just IPTV's college wrestling website, and I only see four scheduled meets, and one of those is Div. III.

College Wrestling

Iowa v. ISU, Dec. 9
ISU v. UNI, Dec. 16
Iowa Conference Championships, Feb. 21
Nebraska v. ISU, Feb. 24

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
I find it rather convenient that wrestling is dominating the conversation today on Miller and on SoundOff last night. Wrestling is the new favorite sport for most Hawk fans because that is one of the few sports they actually beat us at this year. I've got a question, would wrestling be dominating the conversation on Miller today had ISU won? I'll give you that it was an upset and our basketball teams aren't exactly spectacular, but wrestling usually doesn't get this much press, especially after an Iowa/ISU basketball game happening on the same weekend. Right or wrong, the press typically pays more attention to men's basketball here, even though wrestling is popular. Not trying to be a hater Jon, I like your show and listen whenever I can, but it does seem convenient.

You are joking on Wrestling being the new favorite sport for Iowa fans, right? If ISU had won, I would have had Andy Hamilton on at 2:30 to talk about it, and I would have had Cael on at 3:05 to talk about it, and then played the Brands post match audio at 3:30.

It is one of the biggest sporting events in this state, each year, and right now, what else locally is worthy of leading off the week with, if not this? The men's basketball teams? That's tough to go for two hours on...I will talk to coaches from both sides later this week.

Iowa and ISU women's hoops? The board would be ripping me for spending time on that so much...

The Iowa Energy? Not gonna do that probably

Iowans love wrestling...not all, but a lot of them....and the annual Iowa-Iowa State dual meet has been the biggest attraction in the sport, outside of the national tournament for the majority of the past 25 years...the entire sport.

I think at times even Iowans take all of this for granted.

Last edited:

thunderdave

POOTMFS
Apr 14, 2006
Convenient like when Jon missed the Monday show after the football team choked away their shot at a bowl game.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
agreed. i do enjoy following wrestling, and i think that the majority of those who don't enjoy it feel that way due to a lack of exposure. the state of iowa has a lot of respect for its wrestling programs from little kids all the way through the college ranks, and it still doesn't get a lot of publicity from the local media. if they televised half as many wrestling meets as they did basketball games, i think you might see a spike in interest in the sport-especially with the b-ball teams we have been displaying the last few years.

Actually, I really dislike wrestling, on every level. I've been plenty exposed to it, and I just don't like it. I'm not even apathetic towards it, I actually dislike it. I've been to plenty of meets before. Hell I sat next to Gable at an Iowa meet one time (used to date a wrestler's sister). Watched it a few times on TV. Wrestled in gym class in high school etc. etc. etc.

I don't think the majority of people who don't' enjoy it don't enjoy it because it doesn't get enough exposure, I just don't think even a majority of Iowans enjoy it because it's just not exciting. On top of that, there's also the "nastiness" factor. There are a whole lot of things I'd rather do than watch a couple guys in leotards try to hold each other to the ground against their will.

That doesn't mean I won't cheer for the cyclone wrestlers, it just means that I don't like wrestling.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
Convenient like when Jon missed the Monday show after the football team choked away their shot at a bowl game.

If you guys worked in radio in this market, you would know that that day is not a day you would want to miss...that's basically a show up for work 2 minutes before you go on the air day....those are the days that you want to work, even though Iowa lost and I support Iowa, it's an easy show, even a fun show. I would have much rather dealt with that than coughing up green gack.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron