JoePa Fired/What is happening at Penn State?!?!

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
Since the Duke Lacrosse Rape Hoax has already been invoked earlier in the thread, here is the reason why I consider my response to this incident to be more reasonable than the response of those who supported that lying murdering slut Crystal Mangum:

This report is based on grand jury indictments of two Penn State administrators after a three year investigation, and pending charges of child molestation from at least eight young men against Coach Sandusky.

The Duke Lacrosse case was an allegation from a single mentally unstable young woman that collapsed before it was presented to a Grand Jury.

To say that the two situations are equal is saying that the State of Pennsylvania knowingly provided perjured testimony to the grand jury, and pressured Penn State to retaliate against any of the kids making allegations. Those are pretty serious allegations, if you ask me.

Now tell me again: Who's jumping to conclusions here?

jeff0514

Apr 12, 2006
Ankeny, ia
Re: Paterno to retire at seasons end

Paterno should step down or be fired immediately. Otherwise, if I were Nebraska, I would refuse to go play that scum bag university, even if it means forfeiting the game. There are some things that are more important than winning. Penn State fans that show up to watch that game (if Paterno and others involved are on the sidelines) are just as pathetic.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
It did. Which might actually indicate that the investigators had a hard time. It might also indicate that when Paterno did follow up that Tim Curley, "who has since stepped down and has charged with lying to the state grand jury investigating the case" might have also told Paterno that there was nothing there. If it ultimately comes to light that Paterno knew specifics and did nothing I'll be right there with you calling for his name to be spoken alongside Hitler's. But for now we don't know what we don't know.

The fact remains that someone told JoePa that they witnessed him "doing something of a sexual nature" as JoePa calls it to a boy in the locker room and JoePa still let him bring kids to the football facility for a couple more years. Regardless of what he was told of an investigation he had a eye witness of a child being raped by him in the locker room and JoePa still thought it was OK to let him keep bringing boys to the football facility. To top it off this was not the first time Sandusky had been accused of sexually assaulting a child.

Some of you guys can go ahead and wait for JoePa's statement to make a judgement but his actions have already spoken.

Reactions: HILLCYD

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
It did. Which might actually indicate that the investigators had a hard time. It might also indicate that when Paterno did follow up that Tim Curley, "who has since stepped down and has charged with lying to the state grand jury investigating the case" might have also told Paterno that there was nothing there. If it ultimately comes to light that Paterno knew specifics and did nothing I'll be right there with you calling for his name to be spoken alongside Hitler's. But for now we don't know what we don't know.

Nice strawman argument. Let's agree that JoePa is NOT Hitler. Could we agree that his name might belong right alongside that of Joseph Hazelwood?

Or, tying in to your whole "Hitler" theme, how about Neville Chamberlain?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I'm sure those carrying pitchforks and torches demand accountability too. But I digress, at what point does giving JoPa the benefit of the doubt equate to worship? I'm curious.

I don't really think there is much room to give Paterno the benefit of the doubt.
It is basically a fact that he knew something "allegedly" happened. It was reported to him, and he reported it.
He then did what he thought was right and reported it to his boss.
Once he realized that NOTHING happened he should either have followed up, or reported it to the police.

There really isn't much to dispute unless someone thinks that the McQueary lied about it, or the multiple victims are lying about it.

I guess the only thing you can dispute was whether or not what Paterno did was illegal, because it was most deffinitely immoral.

Keeping it internal did nothing to protect children. Nothing.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City

Don't worry. During their bowl game, the commentators will talk about JoePa and overcoming adversity to reach this point. They'll conveniently ignore that the adversity came from his own failure to act responsibly.

agree here.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
Beats the hell out of me. But, since I never used the word "worship" here, maybe you're asking the wrong dude?

Since the comment you decided to reply to was one that I directed to the poster who accused people for "worshipping" Jo Paterno, I figured you'd have a clue.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
No one knows that he didn't. I think that is really all the people that are getting accused of "Paterno worshipping" are saying. I just want to hear Paterno make his public statement before I join the mob.

I understand your viewpoint. I too would like to hear JoPa's statement about his reasoning. At this point I don't think his reasoning matters, but I'd still like to hear what he has to say about how everything went down and what he felt his responsibilities were.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
That's quite a stretch if you go back and read my post...I am sure you won't though.

These issues happened within the football portion of the athletic department. He is the CEO. It is his job to KNOW and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, not listen to what one or two people told him and let it die or pass it along in the name of protocol. This is too big of an issue for that.

We won't agree here and I am fine with that.

I've read each of your posts during our banter. Though you stated that you don't want him strung up, you compared him to the Nazi's. He's not the CEO, or even the GM, but more akin to a powerful director. I think what we won't/don't agree on is the rush to judgement not knowing all of the facts.

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009

Paterno should step down or be fired immediately. Otherwise, if I were Nebraska, I would refuse to go play that scum bag university, even if it means forfeiting the game. There are some things that are more important than winning. Penn State fans that show up to watch that game (if Paterno and others involved are on the sidelines) are just as pathetic.

Yep if fans who payed to watch whats should be a great game show up then they also didn't report that kids were getting raped.

Klonz

Nov 9, 2006
Grimes, IA

Paterno and the quarterbacks coach who witnessed the rape need to be fired immediately!! How do they allow these scumbags to coach another minute proves PSU still doesn't get it. This is a horrible and disgusting story of abuse of power and allowing one person to rule roost.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Nice strawman argument. Let's agree that JoePa is NOT Hitler. Could we agree that his name might belong right alongside that of Joseph Hazelwood?

Or, tying in to your whole "Hitler" theme, how about Neville Chamberlain?

That's a very salient point. Neville Chamberlain, should Paterno's full knowledge and lack of action come to pass, would be much more apropos. Nicely stated.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I about puked when I read his statement about his retirement. He is "devestated by the developments of the case" and "I have come to work every day for the last 61 years with one clear goal in mind: To serve the best interests of this university and the young men who have been entrusted to my care."

Stop with the woe is me crap, don't act like you are blindsided. You could have stopped this and you didn't-- end of story.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008

The more I read about this, the more disgusted I am with JoePa and Penn State. Joe Pa needs to be terminated immediately.

+1

His lawyer son won't keep his fat mouth shut through this whole process.

He's nothing more than a figurehead who has stayed 15 years too long. There are others in the work place in their 70's and 80's who are pig-headed and stubborn and WON'T RETIRE and let some younger person take a job.

typical entitlement-loving 80-yr old.. Same ones who think it's a 'right' to drive even though they're blind, with slow reflexes, and even after their license is revoked. Most people know an old person with this mentality

The old man needs to go---IMMEDIATELY. What he tolerated was a horrific person to have full access to their facilities and RAPE young boys.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008

Hopefully... this is what their stadium will look like on Saturday...

BeaverStadium.jpg

rebelcyclone

Nov 30, 2007
Sioux County
This is easy to say and I'm not defending the GA actions but I can somewhat understand why he didn't do anything initially. I really believe he was just completely and totally shocked and stunned by what he saw, probably to the point where he didn't trust his own eyes. If you had grown up a Cyclone fan in Ames, played for the Clones, then got a coaching job with them and out of nowhere one day you walk in and see a Cyclone great raping a kid in the shower, would you just run in and "curb stomp" him? It would be a completely traumatic event and I think he was just too shocked to act and I think a lot of people on here claiming they would kick his *** right away would act the same way in reality.

There is no excuse for him not going to the police after nothing was done about it later on.[/

I understand your point and I believe you are correct for the most part. Its scary to think how the bystander syndrome is so prevelant. As for me I wouldnt care who it was I would still intervenve and probably still curb stomp him NO LIE. I would hope someone would step in if I was in those kids shoes.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I understand your viewpoint. I too would like to hear JoPa's statement about his reasoning. At this point I don't think his reasoning matters, but I'd still like to hear what he has to say about how everything went down and what he felt his responsibilities were.

I am guessing that I will actually feel worse about the whole situation when/if Paterno ever makes a statement. I have a feeling he will try to cover his own *** and any half hearted apology he could make, wont be good enough. Nothing he can say at this point justifies any of his inaction to me.

He knew something and did next to nothing. Period.

Reactions: chadm

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Just heard that Paterno is going to retire at the end of the season. In fact it is now on the front page of ESPN.com

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
This is easy to say and I'm not defending the GA actions but I can somewhat understand why he didn't do anything initially. I really believe he was just completely and totally shocked and stunned by what he saw, probably to the point where he didn't trust his own eyes. If you had grown up a Cyclone fan in Ames, played for the Clones, then got a coaching job with them and out of nowhere one day you walk in and see a Cyclone great raping a kid in the shower, would you just run in and "curb stomp" him? It would be a completely traumatic event and I think he was just too shocked to act and I think a lot of people on here claiming they would kick his *** right away would act the same way in reality.

There is no excuse for him not going to the police after nothing was done about it later on.
I've been pretty adamant that it should have stopped with the GA when he saw it happening, but your point here is a great one. Someone in my office was just stating a similar point, "what would you do if you walked in on, say, your dad doing it to some kid? What would your reflexive action be?" And I have to say, shock and horror would undoubtedly paralize a person. If the GA viewed these men in that asteem, you're right in that it could be paralyzing.