JoePa Fired/What is happening at Penn State?!?!

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Were the 98 and 2002 investigations University investigations or police investigations?

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
Re: Paterno to retire at seasons end

Would this be a good time for Penn State to finally change their uniform tradition? Why not? Those things are so blah. I don't even think their cool because they are so plain. How can someone think a plain white helmet and plain white pants are cool?

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA

Paterno needs to go right now. The whole program needs to be (figuratively) burned to the ground and rebuilt. Current players should be allowed to choose to stay or be given the right to transfer without having to sit out a year. This is too out of control and it's obvious someone at Penn State thinks something can be salvaged. It can't. Paterno is not so important that he should be given a graceful exit.

Reactions: jeff0514

IowaSTATCyclone

Dec 4, 2009

Because it would have been hearsay evidence. The GA that told him should have been the one to go to the police. Paterno should have told him to go to the police, but it isn't a legal requirement if he was not a witness.

This - it is a close call - mandatory reporting is required in Pennsylvania when these factors are in play:

The mandatory reporter suspects that a child in the care of the suspect affiliated with the organization is the victim of abuse.

Where a prosecution would get tripped up is if Paterno has just enough confusion to indicate that he didn't reasonably suspect abuse. Furthermore, as it is only a third degree misdemeanor, Paterno's worst possible legal crime is very much small potatoes to the greater cover-up. In other words, even if you zealously wanted to prosecute Paterno, you could reasonably write it off as a waste of resources.

In most cases like this where there is enough gray area (i.e. not an eyewitness, not familiar with the victim, not directly involved with the activities of the suspect, etc.), charges for the misdemeanor won't be made. (and in many cases, shouldn't be made. As much as we'd like to think mandatory reporting is a perfect law, you can technically break it even if no crime was actually committed!)

Mandatory reporting is important because it incentivizes responsible people (with the threat of charges) to be responsible in the care of children. It isn't a law designed to catch every person who doesn't perfectly fulfill their legal duty.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Were the 98 and 2002 investigations University investigations or police investigations?

University. The police had no ideas this was even happening until 2007 when one of the victims told his principal what happened.

Yet another GIANT failure by Penn State University that ultimately led to more boys being molested/raped.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

JoPa has done so many good things for the university but it will all be overshadowed by what he didn't do and rightfully so.

His legacy will be forever tarnished because he probably didn't want to believe what was going on and failed to do the right thing by stopping it immediately.

A very small part of me feels bad that his career has to end like this, but then you think of the victims and you realize that he needs to be gone ASAP.

My thoughts exactly. Since I have heard more details about the story, I have lost all respect for Paterno. At first, I hoped that he would be found to have had no real culpability in this, but now, I think he should be fired and not allowed to coach his last home game. No more cheers for the man that did nothing. How many young boys have had their lives ruined since 2002? The 1998 alegation has the first straw. Paterno could possibly overlook this because he did not know for sure. But when it happened in his own locker room, thats when you need to wash your hands of the matter and out Sandusky, NO MATTER WHAT! I don't care if he's your friend and you can't believe it's true. You have a duty to every single boy that came into contact with Sandusky from 2002 to now. Hell, if he notified the authorities in 2002, people would probably love him even more than they did up until last week.
There is no effing reason to cover up for someone that isn't even on the staff anymore. Just stupid and sickening.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Yeah, hard to feel any other way.

How does JoPa even look at Sandusky when the guy was on campus knowing what he had done, or at the very least, knew what he had been accused of not just once, but at least twice (89 and 92)? Didn't JoPa even consider asking him about the allegations? Didn't JoPa consider asking administrators about the results of their "investigation" following his reporting and seeing Sandusky still on campus?

No one knows that he didn't. I think that is really all the people that are getting accused of "Paterno worshipping" are saying. I just want to hear Paterno make his public statement before I join the mob.

cyclonewino

Apr 11, 2006
As head coach JoePa was effectively head of the department, a department which has seperate offices and facilities from the rest of the university. As head coach he likely spent more than an average work week at the facilities and had the opportunity and obligation to follow up on these horrible incidents. He FAILED.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Would this be a good time for Penn State to finally change their uniform tradition? Why not? Those things are so blah. I don't even think their cool because they are so plain. How can someone think a plain white helmet and plain white pants are cool?

What the eff are you talking about?

Uniforms?

Are you really that immature to be seriously talking about uniforms?

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009

This is spot on. It's been a cover up since 98 and continued until last week. JoePa knew back in 98 and continued to look the other way even after more and more incidents.
I think the thing that sticks with me is that Paterno continued to see Sandusky with the kids and even had them at practice up to about 5-6 years ago. IMO Paterno is just as much guilty as the rest of the **** bags.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
No one knows that he didn't. I think that is really all the people that are getting accused of "Paterno worshipping" are saying. I just want to hear Paterno make his public statement before I join the mob.

Because one thing you always get out of a "public statement" is solid details about what really happened.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines

What the eff are you talking about?

Uniforms?

Are you really that immature to be seriously talking about uniforms?
I could give two ***** about what the hell is going on with Penn State. Paterno is a dirty old man who coverd up child rape and won't be coaching there next season. I was just asking a question. What is the big deal?

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Because one thing you always get out of a "public statement" is solid details about what really happened.

Totally get that. If he doesn't straight up say that somebody lied to him, then I think it's pretty clear that he probably knew things weren't on the up and up and a lot of people's worst assumptions will gain a lot more traction with me. The fact that he clearly wants to speak out publicly and Penn State won't let him just raises my eyebrows a little bit.

Covenant Clone

Aug 30, 2006
Clive

What the eff are you talking about? Uniforms? Are you really that immature to be seriously talking about uniforms?
I could give two ***** about what the hell is going on with Penn State. Paterno is a dirty old man who coverd up child rape and won't be coaching there next season. I was just asking a question. What is the big deal?

Its all about timing bud...now is not the right time to talk about trivial **** like uniforms. Save it for a couple months from now after the dust has settled. To many emotions are still involved as this story evolves.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
because it took until 2011 until someone was in jail.

It did. Which might actually indicate that the investigators had a hard time. It might also indicate that when Paterno did follow up that Tim Curley, "who has since stepped down and has charged with lying to the state grand jury investigating the case" might have also told Paterno that there was nothing there. If it ultimately comes to light that Paterno knew specifics and did nothing I'll be right there with you calling for his name to be spoken alongside Hitler's. But for now we don't know what we don't know.

Reactions: MNCyGuy

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
It did. Which might actually indicate that the investigators had a hard time. It might also indicate that when Paterno did follow up that Tim Curley, "who has since stepped down and has charged with lying to the state grand jury investigating the case" might have also told Paterno that there was nothing there. If it ultimately comes to light that Paterno knew specifics and did nothing I'll be right there with you calling for his name to be spoken alongside Hitler's. But for now we don't know what we don't know.

Thank you. I think you've much more eloquently stated the point I've tried to make for the past two days.

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008
Graduate Assistant tells Paterno, who tells Athletic Director Curley, who tells Vice President Schultz, who tells President Spanier, who doesnt tell the tops.

Curley and Schultz are in legal trouble. Graduate Assistant, Paterno and Spanier are not?

Last edited:

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006

That's quite a stretch if you go back and read my post...I am sure you won't though.

These issues happened within the football portion of the athletic department. He is the CEO. It is his job to KNOW and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, not listen to what one or two people told him and let it die or pass it along in the name of protocol. This is too big of an issue for that.

We won't agree here and I am fine with that.