Joens Signed by Las Vegas Aces / Wings / Mercury X 2

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Interesting game, observations: the point guard "5" is a turn over machine, not alot of defense and rebounding, officals like here in the states are hard to judge, one time it is no call and the nest it is a foul. they let them play many times under the basket.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Dinamo Sassari is 0-3 and Ash is off to a very slow start, not shooting well from the field.

Lot to adjust to. She hasn't practiced much with them and is adjusting to living overseas. And language and communication, assuming she does not speak Italian. They might not know her role on this team yet. She was the focus and star at ISU after Carleton graduated. In the WNBA she was last person off the bench. Here it will not be either, probably.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclone13

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
watched the game they just won. she had 19 points made free throws to force the overtime and made plays to help win the game. watching a couple of the teams games at times it feels like they want to try and make the focus on players from Italy

Reactions: StClone and NWICY

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City

Dinamo Sassari with a Eurocup victory, 80-70. Ashley’s box score isn’t anything to write home about, other than a +/- of 17. She’s obviously contributing! Go Ash!!!

Reactions: ABW

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
394261275_647449300924626_5290059600846302012_n.jpg

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Game summary lifted from FB:

Ashley Joens is a key player and adding points for the winning side. Italy. WOMEN GET BACK ON TRACK

Great redemption for the Women returning to the Eurocup playoffs, beating Levhartice Chomutov Czechs at home with the score of 7️⃣0️⃣-8️⃣0️⃣.

The Restivo team takes measures in the first half and then escapes in the third quarter marking the decisive break with Carangelo’s bombs, Raca’s plays and Joens’ solidity.

Sassari gets the first win of the group.

Ashley with a nice compliment on her solidity!

Reactions: NWICY and Cycho1

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Dinamo Sassari has won three of their past four games after a W on Thursday night, in which Ashley shot 3-14 from the field. Other than shooting %, the stat line looks good.

Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Pro ball so you can have some wine at the training table.

And some S. Pellegrino sparkling mineral water front and center since this is Italy. That's some good stuff.

396261241_18394009783019742_1599614723992543362_n.jpg

peatyscotch

Feb 16, 2022
I spent a week in Sardegna with a friend from there, it’s a really great place I live or relax. Beautiful, slower pace and less crowded than most Italian cities.
I was just there in September. I have previously been to Sassari specifically. Everything you said is bang on. However, for Ashley, the adjustments living there will be huge. Very few people speak English, although with the university in Sassari, the proportion will be higher than the rest of Sardegna. Culture is very different from Iowa; it is even different from Italy! Food is fantastic and generally familiar. Language will be the big challenge, and remember, there are different dialects spoken across Sardegna, although most Sardegnans speak Italian.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I was just there in September. I have previously been to Sassari specifically. Everything you said is bang on. However, for Ashley, the adjustments living there will be huge. Very few people speak English, although with the university in Sassari, the proportion will be higher than the rest of Sardegna. Culture is very different from Iowa; it is even different from Italy! Food is fantastic and generally familiar. Language will be the big challenge, and remember, there are different dialects spoken across Sardegna, although most Sardegnans speak Italian.

I met my Sardinian friends in Rome studying abroad at ISU and learned Italian pretty fast because I mostly hung out with their family when I was there. One day my friend's older sister just started speaking gibberish to me (sardinian) and they all laughed at how perplexed I was. I don't think anybody would need to learn Sardinian to get by there though.

The other way I learned the language so fast was actually sports. I'd watch the local soccer team (Roma) on TV once or twice a week at a neighborhood bar and the play by play described everything I saw so it was very easy to understand and learn. Then the next day I'd read the entire sports page and again everything was easy to understand because it was describing what I just watched. By the time I left I could even follow a game on the radio. The class took a trip during a big game I had to miss and I listened for about an hour with some guy running a newspaper stand on his little radio. One of the few times in my life the tendency to be a sports fanatic had me learning a ton.

peatyscotch

Feb 16, 2022
I met my Sardinian friends in Rome studying abroad at ISU and learned Italian pretty fast because I mostly hung out with their family when I was there. One day my friend's older sister just started speaking gibberish to me (sardinian) and they all laughed at how perplexed I was. I don't think anybody would need to learn Sardinian to get by there though.

The other way I learned the language so fast was actually sports. I'd watch the local soccer team (Roma) on TV once or twice a week at a neighborhood bar and the play by play described everything I saw so it was very easy to understand and learn. Then the next day I'd read the entire sports page and again everything was easy to understand because it was describing what I just watched. By the time I left I could even follow a game on the radio. The class took a trip during a big game I had to miss and I listened for about an hour with some guy running a newspaper stand on his little radio. One of the few times in my life the tendency to be a sports fanatic had me learning a ton.
All Sardegnans speak Italian, in part because there are numerous dialects, and if they did not learn Italian, they could not communicate other. If Ashley speaks Spanish, learning Italian will be much easier.

In any event, I am sure we all wish Ashley well, and congratulate Sassari Dinamo on signing her.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
All Sardegnans speak Italian, in part because there are numerous dialects, and if they did not learn Italian, they could not communicate other. If Ashley speaks Spanish, learning Italian will be much easier.

In any event, I am sure we all wish Ashley well, and congratulate Sassari Dinamo on signing her.
Always joked that Italian is Spanish with hand motions! I speak Spanish but not Italian, but I can get the gist of an article or sign when I read it as it is a Romance language.

Reactions: GotHops32

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron