Joe Scates transferring

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I don't think we know what we have yet in guys like -
- Daniel Jackson, showed glimpses as a freshman, don't think he was fully healthy this year
- Aiden Bitter, made some sweet catches as a freshman maybe against KU. Could surprise us
- Darien Porter, as others have mentioned on this board he was a stud on special teams all year
- Jaylin Noel is going to be a good one
I'll add that I think Ezeriah Anderson could have a nice year next year as well. With his size, I wouldn't be surprised if they used him as a hybrid WR/TE

swessball

Mar 23, 2016
- Daniel Jackson, showed glimpses as a freshman, don't think he was fully healthy this year
- Aiden Bitter, made some sweet catches as a freshman maybe against KU. Could surprise us
- Darien Porter, as others have mentioned on this board he was a stud on special teams all year
Jackson saw snaps in the last few games this year at some critical moments. He also saw PT early on as a true freshman before he got hurt. I'm guessing the staff really likes his potential.

Appreciate Joe being a part of the team the last few years, but as was pointed out on twitter, his snaps really went down the last half of this year. Not sure this is a huge loss.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Good luck. I did rip on Scates a bit as it didn't seem like mentally he was there most of the time and had a bad attitude. After reading his message, I feel bad for ripping on him because it sounds like he's been through a ton and it hasn't been any bit easy for him. Hopefully a new home and a new outlook and he can flourish wherever he ends up going.

• Friendly
Reactions: Ayagi and t-noah

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
I hope with him and Milton leaving isn’t because of a lack of faith in Dekker being the guy next year. Wish him the best of luck wherever he goes.
Without having inside knowledge my guess is that they, like a lot of guys, want to play more. Scates and Milton were both for the most part replaced in terms of reps during the season. Noel essentially chipped away more and more at Milton's PT and as a freshman, he's obviously got some years remaining. Various receivers (Shaw, Jackson, Wilson) began playing more over Scates. Of those only Wilson was a senior.

• Informative
Reactions: State43

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
I don’t know who started this thing about “gap and zone” but repeating it just makes people look silly. No one only runs “zone” or only runs “gap”. They might favor one or the other but you’re not going to run only one. It would limit the playbook.
Well, you might want to tell 7 NFL teams that who ran it only 80% of the time in 2020. So while true they didn't run only one - they heavily favored one or the other. And some of them BTW have traditionally had the best rushing offenses in the NFL - Titans, Cowboys, Packers, Rams. Now there are also the Jets, Vikings and bears.

So perhaps I didn't clarify.... I'd like to see more of a Titans, Cowboys, Packers, Rams approach. Run one 80% of the time. Because despite what people think there is a very clear difference, from coaching to implementation. I think for the OL to take the next step, becoming either a primary ( not solely for clarification purposes) gap or zone team would be beneficial.

Zone blocking vs. Gap blocking
Beyond the actual coaching points for each individual concept, there’s a couple of fundamental differences between gap and zone blocking that are worth closing with.

First and foremost is how the concepts work philosophically. Zone runs work around the idea that the back will be like water, finding a hole where the defense isn’t. Gap runs have a hole in mind before the ball is snapped and depends on the offense imposing their design upon the defense.

The second difference is how each scheme creates leverage on a defender. Zone asks the blockers to step in unison and work in tandem to overtake and wall off defenders while each lineman runs along their track. Gap asks lineman to block down the line of scrimmage from their initial starting spot and away from the hole, as this creates an advantage from the jump.

-----------------------------------------------------

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
Well, you might want to tell 7 NFL teams that who ran it only 80% of the time in 2020. So while true they didn't run only one - they heavily favored one or the other. And some of them BTW have traditionally had the best rushing offenses in the NFL - Titans, Cowboys, Packers, Rams. Now there are also the Jets, Vikings and bears.

So perhaps I didn't clarify.... I'd like to see more of a Titans, Cowboys, Packers, Rams approach. Run one 80% of the time. Because despite what people think there is a very clear difference, from coaching to implementation. I think for the OL to take the next step, becoming either a primary ( not solely for clarification purposes) gap or zone team would be beneficial.

Zone blocking vs. Gap blocking
Beyond the actual coaching points for each individual concept, there’s a couple of fundamental differences between gap and zone blocking that are worth closing with.

First and foremost is how the concepts work philosophically. Zone runs work around the idea that the back will be like water, finding a hole where the defense isn’t. Gap runs have a hole in mind before the ball is snapped and depends on the offense imposing their design upon the defense.

The second difference is how each scheme creates leverage on a defender. Zone asks the blockers to step in unison and work in tandem to overtake and wall off defenders while each lineman runs along their track. Gap asks lineman to block down the line of scrimmage from their initial starting spot and away from the hole, as this creates an advantage from the jump.

-----------------------------------------------------
Thanks for confirming my post. What would you say our percentages are?

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Won't get the chance to see a full season of go routes from Dekkers cannon to Joe. Best of luck to him in his next chapter!

yes.... I was hopeful that Dekkers / Scates would provide some big plays next year. Dekkers has a huge arm, Scates is fast. Not sure why Purdy/Scates never really were able to connect.. but thought that connecting on a couple big plays may give us a shot to keep our offensive production up even with all the losses.

I think we will definitely need some big play threats to emerge. Hard to have long drives without the 3rd down possession guys like Kolar and Hutchinson.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
This sounds familiar lol
Probably is. I will leave this to people who know far more than me.

I'd like to think that our OL depth is improving in year 6 and 7 under CMC however. I also realize now, like many others have said, ISU is maybe not going to have the top tier OL recruits, ever. Developing them and then having the right coaching, and blocking scheme (as some others are alluding to here) is crucial.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Probably is. I will leave this to people who know far more than me.

I'd like to think that our OL depth is improving in year 6 and 7 under CMC however. I also realize now, like many others have said, ISU is maybe not going to have the top tier OL recruits, ever. Developing them and then having the right coaching, and blocking scheme (as some others are alluding to here) is crucial.

The 2020 OL class is the first class I’ve been even marginally excited about and that’s mostly because it was comprised of Iowa dudes. They Seem like guys that can be developed a la the way the hawks do it.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Never want to see kids transfer out, but not too worried about the Clones WR depth. Not like the Rhoads era where we played a ton of 3 WR sets. The key for any freshman WR getting PT will be adequate blocking skills.

IMO the bigger question mark is the TE position with Kolar and Allen graduating. Time for Dean, Moore or Hanika to step up. Could also see a bigger role for Rus as a receiver.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Never want to see kids transfer out, but not too worried about the Clones WR depth. Not like the Rhoads era where we played a ton of 3 WR sets. The key for any freshman WR getting PT will be adequate blocking skills.

IMO the bigger question mark is the TE position with Kolar and Allen graduating. Time for Dean, Moore or Hanika to step up. Could also see a bigger role for Rus as a receiver.

Stogner from OU!!

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

Also does Sean Shaw bounce back? He's another that never appeared to be healthy this year

• Agree
Reactions: CloniesForLife