Joe Scates transferring

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
Best of luck to him; hopefully he is able to realize his full potential at a different program. I think Gaines Jr will be a more than suitable replacement

Reactions: cyclone1209

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Really nice post on his part. Am I wrong or would he not have likely been featured pretty heavily next year?

Reads like there's a lot going on for the young man and he was as supported as possible in his time at ISU. Don't want to speculate, and he didn't say anything about getting closer to home, but the letter reads like a personal move.

All that said, he's more than good with me and hope the rest of CN can find the same.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Really nice post on his part. Am I wrong or would he not have likely been featured pretty heavily next year?

Not really. Ideally perhaps, but I think he had fallen flat or come up short one too many times in his opportunities thus far. Early on I think he had off field issues. Fresh start is probably for the best, for both parties.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I hope he does well. Very nice and mature post by him. As others have said, it's great for a lot of us to sometimes get a new start somewhere. All I needed to see was that he was always very excited for his teammates when they had success, and coaches and teammates seemed thrilled for him when he made plays. It seems like he's leaving on good terms, and hopefully he finds a good situation that helps him succeed.

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
I think it was time. We were likely looking elsewhere this next year at the position.

I’m glad he got to spend his time that he did here. Beat of luck to him.

• Agree
Reactions: jcisuclones

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Not really. Ideally perhaps, but I think he had fallen flat or come up short one too many times in his opportunities thus far. Early on I think he had off field issues. Fresh start is probably for the best, for both parties.

The big one I recall was that thing with a BB gun that triggered campus alerts for a possible active shooter. That could have ended very badly. It sticks out in my mind because it's shockingly rare that our guys have gotten in trouble in the Campbell era.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Reads like there's a lot going on for the young man and he was as supported as possible in his time at ISU. Don't want to speculate, and he didn't say anything about getting closer to home, but the letter reads like a personal move.

All that said, he's more than good with me and hope the rest of CN can find the same.

I read it like he has done a lot of growing up and he knows it, and appreciates the staff and program around him helping him with that growing up. But also realizes that to really get the playing time he wants, he has to go somewhere else. Best of luck to him, always a Cyclone.

Old87

Sep 30, 2012
Best of luck to Joe. We appreciate all of the time and effort that he put in to be part of the Cyclone family. It sounds like the Cyclone staff was able to reach it’s most important goal for our young recruits, they helped him to develop into a mature young man that will leave the University with a brighter future than he had when he started his career. I hope that he remembers that the Cyclone Nation will be a part of him forever. The 5 Star Culture and the Will to Win.

Reactions: Die4Cy and t-noah

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Good luck to him. He made some big catches.

Also, I always thought "Joey Skates" sounded like a cool wiseguy nickname in a movie.

Reactions: t-noah

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron