Joe Scates transferring

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
The big one I recall was that thing with a BB gun that triggered campus alerts for a possible active shooter. That could have ended very badly. It sticks out in my mind because it's shockingly rare that our guys have gotten in trouble in the Campbell era.

Weren't there 4 players invovled in that? Are the other 3 still on the team? At least publicly that was handled well by the coaching staff! Didn't they get suspended from all team activities other than training table and study tables?

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Joe and not Milton gone, Wide receiver room looking light.

Hard disagree. We have Gains, Essex, and Xavier Townsend (will be a WR) all coming in next year. All 3 are darn good WR prospects. Quran Adams has a good chance of being a slot type guy as well - super fast kid. Not to mention a long list of guys in the wings who could make a leap.

Until now, I thought we had over-recruited the position in the 2022 cycle

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Hard disagree. We have Gains, Essex, and Xavier Townsend (will be a WR) all coming in next year. All 3 are darn good WR prospects. Quran Adams has a good chance of being a slot type guy as well - super fast kid. Not to mention a long list of guys in the wings who could make a leap.

Until now, I thought we had over-recruited the position in the 2022 cycle

And the portal. Spring is now the 2nd recruiting season for the fall class.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Weren't there 4 players invovled in that? Are the other 3 still on the team? At least publicly that was handled well by the coaching staff! Didn't they get suspended from all team activities other than training table and study tables?

The others were Dallas Taylor-Cortez, Jaeveyon Morton, and Tayvonn Kyle. So Kyle and Scates were the two of the four that stuck around after it.

While I was looking that up I also found this article: https://www.thegazette.com/iowa-sta...ted-to-hug-matt-campbell-after-his-touchdown/
It seems like he and Campbell had a pretty special relationship.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I was thinking that he was made for Hunter Dekkers’ big arm.

Guess that’s on Darien Porter now.

I don’t think we’re going to be going “deep” with Dekkers, as in outside gos and posts. I just think in theory the route tree gets further down field/ has more depth and you see the kinds of crossing slants and digs that tOSU uses so effectively. I think Jaylin Noel is going to be a star going across the middle 15-20 yards a La Garret Wilson.

That’s where arm strength really matters. Zipping a head high bullet 20 yards in stride is more important than throwing the 45 yard bombs.

this is all in theory. Our O-line situation isn’t looking great next year.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Best of luck Joe! I could see him ending up in the MAC or Big Ten West and being a star
He would be great in either of those spots. His speed wasn't enough in the Big 12, but would shine there, and the lack of other receiving skills be mitigated.

Best of luck to Scates.

Reactions: CyTwins

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
I disagree somewhat there. Yes, they had games where they were under-whelming. BUT... if we actually settle in on a system instead of fluctuating between gap and zone and Remsburg stays healthy, he's a battle tackle than Derek. Derek did a really pretty good job but he was playing out of position much of the year.

Hopefully Downing comes back but potentially if he doesn't - Hufford slides back to his more natural spot of guard and ideally we have another tackle playing tackle.

I like the pipe line. I think having a condensed box, fluctuating schemes, injuries and yes, inconsistent performance in part due to injuries and guys playing out of position really held this group back.

Do they need to take a step forward and get better? Well, yeah, obviously. But I think the same could be said for just about every unit on the field. CMC would probably include the coaches in that if past press conferences are any indication but I will leave that to him

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I don’t think we’re going to be going “deep” with Dekkers, as in outside gos and posts. I just think in theory the route tree gets further down field/ has more depth and you see the kinds of crossing slants and digs that tOSU uses so effectively. I think Jaylin Noel is going to be a star going across the middle 15-20 yards a La Garret Wilson.

That’s where arm strength really matters. Zipping a head high bullet 20 yards in stride is more important than throwing the 45 yard bombs.

We usually question our OL potential before a season. This years less than stallar performance may be bringing back that mantra.

Personally I think there is enough depth there that it will be fine next year. Maybe Campbell does some OL coaching change as well?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
We usually question our OL potential before a season. This years less than stallar performance may be bringing back that mantra.

Personally I think there is enough depth there that it will be fine next year. Maybe Campbell does some OL coaching change as well?

This sounds familiar lol

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
I don’t know who started this thing about “gap and zone” but repeating it just makes people look silly. No one only runs “zone” or only runs “gap”. They might favor one or the other but you’re not going to run only one. It would limit the playbook.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Joe and not Milton gone, Wide receiver room looking light.
I don't think we know what we have yet in guys like -
- Daniel Jackson, showed glimpses as a freshman, don't think he was fully healthy this year
- Aiden Bitter, made some sweet catches as a freshman maybe against KU. Could surprise us
- Darien Porter, as others have mentioned on this board he was a stud on special teams all year
- Jaylin Noel is going to be a good one

Reactions: VeloClone