Jarvis West Watch: Unleash This Beast

Sloup

Nov 14, 2009
Ames, IA
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." -Mark Twain

I am like many of you: I love Jarvis West. He's a small, fast, and shifty weapon, and I hope we continue to recruit to keep a couple of wide receivers in that model on the roster into the future. He's an exciting player to watch, and he's certainly a great guy to have returning kicks. Every time he touches the ball you can't help but think he might take it to the house.

BUT

We haven't seen him take it to the house yet (unless you want to include a penalized kick return in the Pinstripe Bowl). In fact, we haven't seen him take it more than 20 yards yet in a play from scrimmage, and he has been getting 3-5 touches per game consistently since we played Texas A&M last year. He's had some good kick returns, but I can't remember any getting into opposing territory (correct me if I'm wrong there). Am I the only one curious why this is?

I honestly have no idea. Maybe he needs to commit to running up field sooner. Maybe he's more focused on breaking a guy's ankles than getting past him (which really are two different things). Maybe it's just bad luck that the last guy who can possibly get him every play ends up stopping him.

What I do know, though, is that we need more big plays. As much as Steele Jantz is capable of, I don't necessarily want him chucking the ball deep constantly to generate that because of his penchant for turning the ball over. We need some wide receivers to step up to make things happen with the ball in his hands, and I think Jarvis West is just the guy to do it.

Am I expecting too much from him, or are you guys starting to get a little impatient, too?

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
It would be amazing to see him break one, or several, for a long TD, but he is young and I'm guessing will get his share of highlights before his career at ISU is over. I'm not worried about it yet

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
he is certainly a weapon that needs to be used. I think he lacks top speed though, and that probably hurts him from getting those big plays. Great top speed in 5'7" guys isn't that prevalent. Quickness- absolutely.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I think the only thing holding him back from getting more long returns is that he is more of a quick player than a fast player. Honestly, he is a good kick returner and can make people miss, but a lot of times kick returns that go to the house are a result of hitting a gap hard and at full speed and then making one or two hard cuts and sprinting to the endzone.

EDIT: This is also why I love seeing Nealy back there to return kicks. I don't think we really know what kind of top end speed he has, but he has very good elusiveness and if he ends up having good top end speed he could be a very good returner for us.

I wish we would see West return punts, which is where ridiculous elusiveness and quickness is the most important. However, I guess the coaching staff us more confident with Lenz and Horne back there to catch it.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
The last two coaching staff before this, I'd swear that we fumbled 50% of our punt returns.
This administration has looked solid in that area from day one. Leave them alone.

TigerCyJM

May 3, 2012
Polk County, IA
release-the-kraken-dogs.jpg

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Quick but in a shorter stride. Would be a good "go to guy" in a spread offense with corners playing tight at the line for physical bump and run coverage. Quick enough to get around contact attempt at the line with sideline pass between corner and safety or a slant in same coverage. Which they used vs Iowa and he was shoestring tackled around the redzone. But I doubt he will outrun Big 12 corners or safeties out in the open.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
The guy just looks like a big time play every time he gets the ball and then goes 5 yards. I could be that he just has not had enough touches, but he does get tackled pretty easy, so maybe it is just a matter of just getting a little stronger, to break the arm tackles.

driegner

Jun 9, 2010
Columbus, OH
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." -Mark Twain

I am like many of you: I love Jarvis West. He's a small, fast, and shifty weapon, and I hope we continue to recruit to keep a couple of wide receivers in that model on the roster into the future. He's an exciting player to watch, and he's certainly a great guy to have returning kicks. Every time he touches the ball you can't help but think he might take it to the house.

BUT

We haven't seen him take it to the house yet (unless you want to include a penalized kick return in the Pinstripe Bowl). In fact, we haven't seen him take it more than 20 yards yet in a play from scrimmage, and he has been getting 3-5 touches per game consistently since we played Texas A&M last year. He's had some good kick returns, but I can't remember any getting into opposing territory (correct me if I'm wrong there). Am I the only one curious why this is?

I honestly have no idea. Maybe he needs to commit to running up field sooner. Maybe he's more focused on breaking a guy's ankles than getting past him (which really are two different things). Maybe it's just bad luck that the last guy who can possibly get him every play ends up stopping him.

What I do know, though, is that we need more big plays. As much as Steele Jantz is capable of, I don't necessarily want him chucking the ball deep constantly to generate that because of his penchant for turning the ball over. We need some wide receivers to step up to make things happen with the ball in his hands, and I think Jarvis West is just the guy to do it.

Am I expecting too much from him, or are you guys starting to get a little impatient, too?

At the UNI game last year Jantz missed him WIDE OPEN for about a 60 yd TD. Everyone in the upper deck of the student section saw it.

It'll come. West is too fast to not have it happen. I suspect when Horne leaves we'll see even more production out of West in the slot since they play similarly.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Our receiving corps is well................................not very threatening.

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan
Jarvis isn't fast? He seems like it, but maybe I'm just seeing how quick he is. Certainly short guys can be fast. J.J. Moses was freaking fast and he's probably shorter than Jarvis.

EZpickins

Aug 7, 2008
Ames, Iowa
Why not run West in certain packages like some sort of Wildcat or perhaps Wildcy. West and Johnson running the option might shake things up. Find some way to get your play makers the ball.

Prometheus

Sep 11, 2012
The more anyone has to hype anybody.....the less of reality they actually are.
See money "always a dollar short" reynolds.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
West will return a kick for a touchdown at least once this season.

I'm not worried about his pass-catching contribution --- I don't remember this much roster-wide potential at WR @ ISU.

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
The new kickoff rule this year is killing him on big plays this year. I remember him taking one out of the endzone this year. Kicking off from the 35 has taken a lot of excitement out of the game. At the end of the year last year West was getting ISU very good field position on returns.