PODCAST: Jamie Pollard on the last 14 days

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Super raw, even for Jamie's standards. Must-listen. Enjoy.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Must listen - this is eye-opening. Thank you for sharing!

This segment says it all...Ames wants a University, but doesn't want students. They want football but they don't want fans. They want conventions but voted down a convention center. They want a place for kids to swim, but don't want a swimming pool...

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
JP almost sounds like he's done with Ames....or at least the naysayers in Ames. Don't get me wrong, he loves and is all in on ISU. Just seems like the community making his job very difficult.

I had an opportunity to work in Ames several years ago and turned it down because everyone I knew said there were "experts" in everything that wanted to control everything about the town. I suppose it gets that way when you have so many PhDs in a small town. Sounds much the same.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Let me sum this up for you in case you don’t listen.

JP:
tenor.gif

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I had an opportunity to work in Ames several years ago and turned it down because everyone I knew said there were "experts" in everything that wanted to control everything about the town. I suppose it gets that way when you have so many PhDs in a small town. Sounds much the same.

Lucky for you there are no know-it-alls on CF.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I love Jamie. And I understand about the city of Ames and the faculty screwing him over.

But the part that irritates me is that there were people that thought the attendance policy was not in the best interest of public health. And while those people don't have room to complain when things are cut and dropped, they are certainly entitled to their opinion.

And he continues to not have a good reason why 25% attendance was the original solution. He has said twice now that those people would be pissed if they weren't in attendance for certain games. Probably true, but at the same time he says that people in leadership have to deal with that ****. So he could have dealt with it.

I can pretty much guarantee that part of the backlash had to do with Iowa State getting pounded on a national level for the attendance policy because Iowa State was doing what NO OTHER SCHOOL WAS DOING--allowing 40% of fans in the stadium (and I think more than 40% of capacity if you take the hills into account). It was a bad look. Jamie should have known that and if the facility is as awful as he say it is, he should have realized they would grab onto that.

No matter what, the people that want to have their cake and eat it too are in the wrong. I understand his frustration with the whole thing, especially if it is true that they pushed him to have fans.

In the end, Jamie should have gone with his original plans for no fans for the first game considering the high numbers of cases in Ames over the first few weeks of school.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Pollard makes some very good points. He's in a damned if you do and damned if you don't scenario, and I wouldn't want to be in his position at all. That said, he kept saying that "the community decided they didn't want fans" and "the community decided they didn't want to cut the arts."

The community doesn't get to decide those things. Iowa State does. The community is allowed to have an opinion on it, and it can be a very loud opinion, but it's Iowa State's call. It's Iowa State's tolerance for the expected reaction to a decision that is tested. If Pollard and the university president wanted to have fans in the stands on Saturday, they could have. Nobody could have stopped them. But as much as the city needs ISU, ISU is a part of the community as well. It's not like the school can pick up and move to Boone. Public opinion matters, even if it's ill informed and misguided. That's not unique to Ames. That's just the way the world works. I really liked a lot of that interview, and I have always been a big Pollard fan and supporter, but some of that feels like he's pissing into the wind and getting upset that his shoes are getting wet.