Jamie Pollard on KXNO today

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
Hilton renovations would be dumb, I'm glad those are on pause. Way bigger fish to fry than remodeling what is already an AD crown jewel. Sock as much money away to pay those players is got to be the strategy.

uhh the video board is AWFUL, so is the sound system. People won't like this, but Hilton needs some fixing.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
This fanbase sure has a lot of Karen's on Twitter...

Pollard does an AMAZING job 95% of the time...

And at least he's accessible. You may not like what he has to say sometimes, but he does interviews and stays engaged with the fanbase through the media. That is not the case at all on the other side of the state.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

It's no different than politics. With anybody in a public role, the 5% people disagree with will always draw more attention and criticism than the other 95%. Right or wrong, that's never going to change. It's also part of why everybody goes to their corners on just about any topic these days. Rather than talk about the 95% that most people agree on, the 5% causes violence.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Pollard is great and I will hate to see the day he decides to retire. We couldn't ask for much better.

But he's pretty soft on twitter (and not the thickest skinned guy in general). To the point a lot of people have mentioned being blocked by him even without direct interaction. They just noticed they were blocked by him one day.

Reactions: CyValley

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I'm guessing if you ask a recruit about Hilton they would have GLOWING reviews. Hilton is known nationally as a basketball fans dream. I'm sure there are dumpy things about Hilton and if we had oil money we would fix. But it's still the crown jewel whether the pissers or concourse are up to date or not. Pay the players, forget the amenities.

Do that and you end up like the Rose Bowl or Oakland Coliseum. You can’t just ignore the fans. Without fans, sports are nothing.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Nonsensical his logic for blocking but not muting fans and inviting them to come speak with him in person.

When you can hide behind a username it’s way easier to toss grenades. If you have a complaint, man (or woman) up and go talk to him face to face. He will do it, most of the people complaining however, they have no intention of a civil conversation.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I'm guessing the AD has donations earmarked for certain projects and those projects get done for a fraction of what a Hilton renovation costs.

They're doing long-term financing on both A/V ($16M) and Scheman ($12M).

It stands to reason that a $50M project would be too big a bite right now.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
They're doing long-term financing on both A/V ($16M) and Scheman ($12M).

It stands to reason that a $50M project would be too big a bite right now.
I could be wrong but I believe CyTown is also financed which can't look good on the financials right now. Tons of costs and no revenues in sight.

• Informative
Reactions: CyValley

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Hilton renovations would be dumb, I'm glad those are on pause. Way bigger fish to fry than remodeling what is already an AD crown jewel. Sock as much money away to pay those players is got to be the strategy.
Hilton renovations are absolutely necessary. Hilton from a fan experience sucks. The basketball aspects are great so don’t mess with that but going to a game can be hard because the bathrooms and concessions absolutely suck. That is all ignoring that the bridge things need replaced like 10 years ago. They just aren’t safe.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
JP is one of the only "higher ups" I've encountered who responds to damn near every email sent to him. I've emailed asking for things someone else within the Athletic Department could have taken care of and he always emails back (usually I'm asking for Marketing Materials they use or other sorts of infographics I can use in class).

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Hilton renovations are absolutely necessary. Hilton from a fan experience sucks. The basketball aspects are great so don’t mess with that but going to a game can be hard because the bathrooms and concessions absolutely suck. That is all ignoring that the bridge things need replaced like 10 years ago. They just aren’t safe.
What sucks about the bathrooms and concessions? Every time I've needed to pee during a game I haven't had a problem.

I know concessions get backed up, but I'm not sure how to make that better without adding more. Even if you do that, you still have to staff it, which seems like a difficulty right now.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Are the bathrooms so bad just because of the amount and the number of people being able to get through not being enough? Or is there something physically wrong with them? I personally just go during a TV timeout instead of halftime and am usually back to my seat without missing any action, or at least very little.

Help Support Us

Become a patron