Jamie Pollard had us as the last 2 seed in his submission

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
However.......I hated his statement that no game is more important than another.

To be fair he has been consistent with that line of thought since TJ was hired. JP and TJ are really, really good friends and this line of thinking started after his buddy was hired. Remember him dry begging the ISU fans to have patience with TJ before his friend coached game one, basically saying the same thing? Did he do that with either newbie coach Fred after the GMAC disaster or Steve Prohm trying to replace a legend in the "mayor"? No, JP has wanted TJ in this position since GMAC departed. And now that he is here.......he is going to say/do anything to take the pressure off his friend. A final four game in March is no more important than Lindenwood in November. Now whether he believes it or not, or you think it's right or not doesn't matter. As long as he is AD and TJ is coach....that's the way it's going to be projected to ISU fans.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Yes, you can do that. And then you have everyone gaming the system because they know the rules. Or, you can do your best to eliminate bias and accept the inherent randomness of a bunch of people making their own informed decisions.

Pollard's tenure on the committee is done, you're a free elf. Start doing your homework now to figure out who's going to screw us next year

If everyone is gaming the system is that really gaming the system?

mark82

Jun 19, 2006
During a radio show in Omaha he discussed the seeding. Hopefully CF lets me post the clip without uploading to a different site.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1248...rch-to-omaha-iowa-state-160758708/?embed=true
Clearly the logic is nonsense.

But even if Jamie believed that the logic was nonsense, he has to defend the committee's results. But he should've waited till after the first weekend to say anything.

I'm grateful that Jamie is our AD, but that is a terrible selection committee result.

I say we have the people from the women's selection committee become the mens selection committee next year, they did a superior job.

In the mean time, I hope the Clones prove Jamie wrong and go to the final four.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
So will the tune change if BYU and Illinois lose and we only have wazzu and double digit seeds in our path to the Elite 8?

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Best AD that ISU has ever had hands down. Is he perfect? Probably not but he knows the big picture and has kept ISU as a competitive member of one of the top 3 D1 conferences. Not easy to do with what finances given to him to work with compared to others at the top end of the conferences.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Most of you'll are whiny peasants crying over a game of checkers while Pollard is playing 4D chess. He knew by under seeding the team it would give them that extra spark of motivation.

Reactions: Cymon

itslow

Jan 29, 2010
Anyone happen to know how North Carolina AD (and committee chairman) Bubba Cunningham voted in regards to ISU and North Carolina? Was he similarly "diplomatic" with his votes?

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
I would appreciate it if someone in the media could ask Jamie Pollard what was it, in his opinion, that made North Carolina the last number one seed over Iowa State?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I would appreciate it if someone in the media could ask Jamie Pollard what was it, in his opinion, that made North Carolina the last number one seed over Iowa State?

I don’t even really care about that. I’m more interested in what made us the worst 2 seed.

I understand brand and reach and how it’s a silent factor in any decision any for profit entity makes its decisions.

• Winner
Reactions: GT25Ump

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I don’t even really care about that. I’m more interested in what made us the worst 2 seed.

I understand brand and reach and how it’s a silent factor in any decision any for profit entity makes its decisions.

Random transitive property comparisons of teams instead of understanding the holistic metrics that exist exactly for the purpose of comparing teams' full season performances

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I'm too lazy to look at it, but would be interesting now to see if we were the first 3 seed what the bracket would have looked like.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I'm too lazy to look at it, but would be interesting now to see if we were the first 3 seed what the bracket would have looked like.
Some variables make it difficult to determine for certain, but simplest would be swapping positions w/ Baylor -- so would have been in West lower with Arizona.

Next most realistic just switching seed line w/ Illinois.

Most other possibilities don't work because ISU coudn't be in Houston's region and Creighton can't be in UConn's.

All comes back to "just win what's in front of you."

• Agree
Reactions: AlaCyclone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
It seems pretty obvious, the committee prioritizes regular season conference champs over a team that wins a 5 day Conference Tournament.

1 Seeds
UConn-Reg Season & Conf Tour
Houston- Reg Season
Purdue- Reg Season
UNC- Reg Season

2 Seeds
UA - Reg Season
Tenn - Reg Season
Marq - Neither
ISU - Conf Tourn

3 Seeds
Ill - Conf Tour
UK - Neither
Creighton - Neither
Baylor - Neither

So unless the committee wanted ISU opposite Houston, then as a non Regular Season Champ- the Clones were going to be an overall #8. Same logic with Marquette, committee wasn't going to put them opposite UConn.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Some variables make it difficult to determine for certain, but simplest would be swapping positions w/ Baylor -- so would have been in West lower with Arizona.

Next most realistic just switching seed line w/ Illinois.

Most other possibilities don't work because ISU coudn't be in Houston's region and Creighton can't be in UConn's.

All comes back to "just win what's in front of you."
Thanks...exactly...ultimately that's what it comes down too and we certainly had the tools to (see Houston getting thumped by us).

Just REALLY want to shake that final 4 drought (like our first round NFL drought we shook last year).

Reactions: cyclones500

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
Cyclone athletics across the board are at an all time high and still on an upward trajectory; A-level coaches are leading most programs and show no inclination to depart; facilities are on par with peers; fan support has skyrocketed; athletic prestige is probably for first time ever equal with the TOE

...yet there's a vocal contingent of fans who've made it their mission in the past 12 months to paint Jamie Pollard as the villain of the whole operation

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron