Jamie Pollard had us as the last 2 seed in his submission

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
If TJ and the team lose the first weekend that is on them and nothing to do with the committee.

If they lose in the second weekend that is entirely on the committee (JP included), because there is no way in hell we should be in the east.

If they make it to the final 4 it is in spite of the committee and this is what I'm hoping for.

Last edited:
Reactions: exCYtable

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If JP had his way, he probably would have had us play Drake in rd 1, and then face Creighton in rd 2 in Omaha.

He would have thought that would’ve been “neat” to see!

Honestly, I don’t think he understood at all how it works. He only wanted to see ISU in Omaha, and believed the only way to make that happen was if we were the last 2 seed…. which is not correct.

AD’s should absolutely NOT be doing the pairings. Dumb.

• Dumb
Reactions: CyDude16

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
If TJ and the team lose the first weekend that is on them and nothing to do with the comity.

If they lose in the second weekend that is entirely on the comity (JP included), because there is no way in hell we should be in the east.

If they make it to the final 4 it is in spite of the comity and this is what I'm hoping for.
Capture.JPG

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
So he's saying ISU deliberately scheduled weak in non-conference, and by his vote he agrees ISU's non-con is what put us 8th instead of 4th or 5th.

Apparently he screwed us twice.

Edit: I was late the the thread, I see several others already noted this.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The Ironic part is they do the exact opposite in football. SEC schedules a bunch of cupcakes but we all understand that they have the best football conference. So we understand when Alabama is regarded very high even though they played Grand Canyon in a football game or some very very low level team. It's because they have a brutal conference schedule. For some reason it's ok in football when the SEC does it, but not ok in basketball when Iowa State does it. So it appears that it's ok for one thing and not the other.
It's different but the same. Football rewards weak non-con schedules, basketball punishes it.

But in the end it's same in that it's a bunch of old dip ***** using objective information, then disregarding it as needed to make biased decisions.

• Agree
Reactions: Drew0311 and Cydkar

Irish1

Feb 5, 2016
We all have to admit our non con was boring!!! However.......I hated his statement that no game is more important than another. We hear all year how the Big 12 is the toughest conference....... shouldn't they be taken into consideration. A really tough non con schedule would make for a really really long season for the players, and run a much bigger risk for injuries before we even get going.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
We all have to admit our non con was boring!!! However.......I hated his statement that no game is more important than another. We hear all year how the Big 12 is the toughest conference....... shouldn't they be taken into consideration. A really tough non con schedule would make for a really really long season for the players, and run a much bigger risk for injuries before we even get going.
I agree the non-con schedule was boring. And ISU should be punished for a weak non-con. But let that punishment come in the form of dragging down overall SOS. Instead, the committee saw that it impacted our overall SOS, but it was still better than a lot of teams. So since it didn’t get the committee the result it wanted, they decided to count it again by making NCSOS an additional criteria alongside overall SOS.

I will push back on the idea that the weak NC schedule paid off just because ISU had a great season. It’s not like we can know how it would’ve worked with a tougher schedule. Ward was out in the preseason tourney, but in general these first tests vs teams with a pulse were pretty big flops. I’d also say that the level of turnover ISU had in the current environment of college basketball is not going to be out of the ordinary.

Reactions: cyfanatic

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I haven't read all 11 pages of this thread, but what is the actual difference between being the last 2 seed or the first 2 seed?

Would we be playing even closer to home? :jimlad:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I haven't read all 11 pages of this thread, but what is the actual difference between being the last 2 seed or the first 2 seed?

that doesn’t matter for the first rounds. In theory we would be in the region with the weakest 1 seed and wouldn’t be going against UConn in their backyard in the E8 if it came to that.

Reactions: cyfanatic

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny

If we were seeded above Tennessee we’d be the 2 in the Midwest and they’d be the 2 in the East. ISU has as good of a path to the Elite 8 as they’ve ever had. I’m happier with Illinois as the 3 over Creighton

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
that doesn’t matter for the first rounds. In theory we would be in the region with the weakest 1 seed and wouldn’t be going against UConn in their backyard in the E8 if it came to that.
As opposed to Purdue in Indianapolis. If you play a 1 seed before the final 4 theyll be close to home. It’s how the system is setup outside outliers like there being no west team worthy of a 1