Jamie Pollard had us as the last 2 seed in his submission

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
Have we EVER gotten a close first/second round site when we weren't an elite team? Genuinely asking.

Like have we ever played in Minn or KC or STL as a 10 seed the way Drake is? Sure doesn't feel like it but maybe selective memory. DesMoines and Omaha are relatively new in the rotation, does this mean next time we come in as a 9 seed we should buy some tickets for DesMoines because we're gonna get a home game against the Big Ten champ in DSM?

It's all insane. If you're not an elite team you should get shipped out, how else does it make any sense?
We were in Milwaukee as an 11 seed two years ago

Reactions: werdnamanhill

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Regardless of how he voted, that's just a stupid answer that tries to cover bothsideism. He is a great AD but between the thin skin and ill-timed remarks, he needs a PR advisor. That's not an answer you give as an AD, let alone at this timing.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
We are seriously mad because Jamie voted us a #2 seed? Our fanbase gets mad about some really weird ****.

Was he supposed to vote that we are the #1 overall seed just because he's our AD?

I can get on the board with the 2 seed, but the last 2 seed? That implies that we were a 3 or a 4 if we lost to Baylor and even possibly Houston. Thats disrespect all around.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
To me it's not just an ISU thing; the brackets are all over the place and letting someone like VA in while others had better resumes for example isn't going by any criteria.

I don't recall a when it was this fangled across the tournament and there needs to be a correction next year.
This. We are focused on Iowa State's seeding naturally, but go watch some of Matt Norlander and Garry Parrish from the past few days. There are some truly baffling seeding decisions this year. FAU as an 8 seed is indefensible. Michigan State getting a 9 when nearly everyone agrees from the media, bracketologists, fans, etc. they should have been in the First Four in Dayton at best.

There are others as well, and as a lot have said, truthfully the committee has done a damn good job with seeding the last several years, but this year is one of the worst in many years.

Last edited:

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
We are seriously mad because Jamie voted us a #2 seed? Our fanbase gets mad about some really weird ****.

Was he supposed to vote that we are the #1 overall seed just because he's our AD?
I don't think anyone has said either of those things. Nobody thinks we were the #1 overall seed and nobody is mad that we were a 2 seed. It's is comments about why we were the lowest 2 seed, that being because our NCSOS was bad, but also saying that every game is supposedly treated equally.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
No, he's supposed to vote us as the 4th 1 seed based on objective, factual metrics.
Or at least the first #2 argued by many in the metrics game. The ‘isn’t in the room’ narrative defending JP went out the window when he admits to agreeing with the committee’s heavily critiqued seeding of ISU.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I don't think anyone has said either of those things. Nobody thinks we were the #1 overall seed and nobody is mad that we were a 2 seed. It's is comments about why we were the lowest 2 seed, that being because our NCSOS was bad, but also saying that every game is supposedly treated equally.

Do you guys really think he is going to go on an interview and deviate from what the committee talking points are? Do you really think a committee member is going to go public and say "Yeah this committee really screwed up the seeding?"

No that is not going to happen and if you think it is you live in fantasy land. While some on the committee may not agree with the way things were seeded, they aren't going to publicly defy the committee. I mean that would be a great way to blacklist yourself among your fellow AD's.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I can get on the board with the 2 seed, but the last 2 seed? That implies that we were a 3 or a 4 if we lost to Baylor and even possibly Houston. Thats disrespect all around.
Not if those games didn't actually matter in their selection, it sure seems like they went ultra hard on the "no recency bias" thing that he mentioned.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Do you guys really think he is going to go on an interview and deviate from what the committee talking points are? Do you really think a committee member is going to go public and say "Yeah this committee really screwed up the seeding?"

No that is not going to happen and if you think it is you live in fantasy land. While some on the committee may not agree with the way things were seeded, they aren't going to publicly defy the committee. I mean that would be a great way to blacklist yourself among your fellow AD's.
So why go on radio at all? What value came from sitting down with Emory?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

I think a non-answer is the right way to go. He doesn't need to throw the committee under the bus to be politically correct and vague. Sometimes not putting yourself out there is better than saying these types of things.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines

Maybe stick to football. We are absolutely not the worst 2 seed, and got boned on our draw, UConn even more so as the overall 1.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
That's the issue. I didn't have us as a 1 seed. However, there is just no way our resume is the last 2 seed. Time to move on, but we should have been at the very least in front of Arizona. I don't care that they likely "needed" to keep Arizona in the West to have someone out there with fans to actually attend the games (because that's exactly what they did), we are superior to Arizona any way you look at it. The Wildcats should have been shipped out East as the 2 and we should have been the 2 in the West imo.

But let's go win this damn thing, so it doesn't matter.

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Jamie Pollard is the best thing that has happened to Iowa State sports in my lifetime (I'm 40, I'm a man). That said, he screwed up.

1) JP could have had that interview go exactly as it did minus saying that he had us as the 4th 2 seed and this would be a nothing-burger. He didn't, and that was his biggest mistake here. As others have pointed out, what a ******* distraction. If I'm on the team and I hear that my own AD "undervalued" us in comparison to ... just about every other source out there, that pisses me off. It did NOT need to be said, at all. I like that Jamie is an open book - at times, that's his best quality, but this was an amazing display of lack of awareness.

2) Second biggest mistake - he was just wrong in his seeding. I'm not a bracket nerd, but I am an over-the-top obsessive fan. It's not just this message board, it's not just Iowa State sources... it's literally everywhere you look you see everyone saying that Iowa State was under seeded. UConn, Kenpom, Torvik, reddit, facebook, CBS, etc. To be the 8th overall seed is damn near objectively wrong. Jamie explained his reasoning, which seemed to me to be mostly focused on head to head comparisons. ISU vs. TA&M and ISU vs. Va Tech. Bracket-nerds, correct me if I'm wrong, but head to head matchups aren't mentioned in the criteria for the committee correct? I could see that being looked at if in the end you had 2 teams that were tied in your rankings, but that should not have been the case. As others have pointed out, NCSoS shouldn't be weighted higher than any other part of your schedule. In the end what I think happened is that Jamie for whatever reason over compensated for bias. As others have pointed out, the committee should not be made up of people like Jamie (ADs and Commissioners).

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Gosh we have a whiny fan base that feels privileged!!

Revel in the fact we went 27-7. Finished 2nd in the Big12 and won the Conference Tournament. One of the Cyclones greatest seasons EVER!

We are a 2 seed and playing in Omaha, a huge advantage in creating Hilton West. To advance to the Sweet 16 we have to beat SDSU and WSU or Drake. If we lose this weekend it isn't because Jamie didn't do his job. It will be because either we didn't play great or our opponent brought their A game. That happens in the NCAA Tournament because it includes ONLY the best teams.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames

lol ok curt

• Dumb
Reactions: jcisuclones

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
It's Pollards fault if we're not able to beat SDSU, Wazzu or Drake? Those are the teams between ISU and a Sweet 16. Come on.

Seems dumb that he put us at the #8 overall but if we don't make the Sweet 16 then Pollard's seeding is the least of our problems.
Surely you know sarcasm when you see it right?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron