Jack Hoiberg

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
Why are people even having thoughts about it? Is the assumption that because Fred went here and coached here that all of his kids will now go here as well?

If you don't care, that's fine. All of the complaining really isn't adding much to this thread, though. I think the reason people care (myself included) is that we loved Fred as a player and coach, and we would have liked to keep the legacy going by having his kids come here. It was pretty obvious when they left that the daughter didn't have a lot of love for ISU (complaining about fans "bothering" them when they went out for dinner, etc.), but it would have been cool to have a Hoiberg playing basketball again for ISU, even as a walk-on.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
It's a little frustrating that his kids have shunned Iowa State, but I can see how his son, especially, would want to be his own person, and that would be pretty tough to do at Iowa State.

Oh dear lord. They aren't their father. They can think, feel, do what they want. There is so much more out in the world besides Iowa State sports (as much as we love to live in that bubble - myself included).

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
Oh dear lord. They aren't their father. They can think, feel, do what they want. There is so much more out in the world besides Iowa State sports (as much as we love to live in that bubble - myself included).

Good lord, I'm not losing sleep over this or anything. Someone posted an article, and there's been some discussion about it. All this stuff about "they can do what they want" is ridiculous. Nobody is saying "to hell with them, they should have gone to Iowa State".

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
I think people are disappointed to lose the family tradition.

My great grandpa, grandpa, and dad went to ISU. I want my kids to go to ISU. It’s something I’m proud of.

That is what I had hoped ISU meant to Fred and his family. Can’t fault the kids for going somewhere else.

• Agree
Reactions: flynnhicks03

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
1. Good for young Jack. I hope he does well.

2, The writer says he's a redshirt freshman; does that mean he's red-shirting this year? If not, wouldn't it be good to talk a LITTLE about how the adjustment is going etc.

3. I like Tom Izzo and his program.

4. To me, it's a little strange to see the height difference between Fred and his son - 7 inches?

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Naz seems supportive:

1. 1 reply13 retweets144 likes
  2. Nazareth Mitrou-Long Retweeted
    ChicagoSports‏Verified account @ChicagoSports 19h19 hours ago
    Jack Hoiberg, son of Bulls head coach Fred Hoiberg, hopes to make his own name at Michigan State http://trib.in/2rrFwau via @sryantribune

DUGIeviX0AA7z33.jpg

4 replies46 retweets280 likes

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Good lord, I'm not losing sleep over this or anything. Someone posted an article, and there's been some discussion about it. All this stuff about "they can do what they want" is ridiculous. Nobody is saying "to hell with them, they should have gone to Iowa State".

The fact that you are disappointed they are living their own lives and not the life you want for them says to me that it bothers you more than it should.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Agreed. We'd like to say and think we wouldn't "treat him any different than any other player" but eventually there'd be a forum on here asking why Jack isn't playing.. .then a forum asking why he isn't as good as Fred. If my dad was a former stud player/coach at a university I'd go somewhere else too... unless I was a person that wanted the never ending attention

Why isn't he at least 6'0"??? What's Fred? 6'4? Is Mrs. Hoiberg 4'11" or something?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I completely agree. Just sucks that he is paying for his kids to be at a couple of schools that would cause the biggest reaction from ISU fans.

I'm also tired of people that think Fred is like Mr ISU. Fred did great things at ISU as a player and coach. ISU did big things for Fred also. There are thousands of fans at every ISU game that are bigger ISU fans than Fred.

Why. Just why.

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
I will never understand the fans who get worked up over Fred’s kids choosing to go to college elsewhere.

Izzo's a great coach...and there's something to be said for not having the appearance your dad got you a gig...and even though that's clearly what happened in both cases. But it probably looks even worse if they got those opportunities at Iowa State given Fred's connection.

Jack doesn't bother me, the one at KU however...

A. F KU!
B. F KU!
C. I found it even more disheartening to learn that Fred and Bill were like BFF's and Bill knew long in advance of even our AD? that Fred was leaving Iowa State for the Bulls. :mad:
Maybe Fred told JP and JP covered for Fred...I don't know? I'd have hoped not. But Fred clearly told the Self's well in advance...and they didn't even care enough to hide it. Which, if they're really that close, it's probably something that you'd make sure to never mention in public...within months of it happening...especially if your the coach of the main conference rival. :rolleyes:

That just felt / feels like a total back stab.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
If you don't care, that's fine. All of the complaining really isn't adding much to this thread, though. I think the reason people care (myself included) is that we loved Fred as a player and coach, and we would have liked to keep the legacy going by having his kids come here. It was pretty obvious when they left that the daughter didn't have a lot of love for ISU (complaining about fans "bothering" them when they went out for dinner, etc.), but it would have been cool to have a Hoiberg playing basketball again for ISU, even as a walk-on.

Fred wasn't a legacy when he came to ISU. By your standards, he should've gone to Nebraska.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Izzo's a great coach...and there's something to be said for not having the appearance your dad got you a gig...and even though that's clearly what happened in both cases. But it probably looks even worse if they got those opportunities at Iowa State given Fred's connection.

Jack doesn't bother me, the one at KU however...

A. F KU!
B. F KU!
C. I found it even more disheartening to learn that Fred and Bill were like BFF's and Bill knew long in advance of even our AD? that Fred was leaving Iowa State for the Bulls. :mad:
Maybe Fred told JP and JP covered for Fred...I don't know? I'd have hoped not. But Fred clearly told the Self's well in advance...and they didn't even care enough to hide it. Which, if they're really that close, it's probably something that you'd make sure to never mention in public...within months of it happening...especially if your the coach of the main conference rival. :rolleyes:

That just felt / feels like a total back stab.

Well ok then, is this **** real life?

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
If the twin boys end up being 6'6", hopefully Fred will do the right thing and encourage them to come play for the good guys.

I think Coach K and Self have more experience with twins. Let's think of their mental development here.