ISU vs. Baylor Game Thread

goldmember

May 31, 2006
I'm so sick of losing to teams like Baylor, with their 1500 fans. I can't wait until we are done being in rebuild mode.....tonight was a perfect example of how important solid guard play is.

saf

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2006
Ames, IA
We can build from this. Had some adversity in the game and battled back each time. Nice debut for our young guys.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
We can build from this. Had some adversity in the game and battled back each time. Nice debut for our young guys.

Thats what Im thinking. I think this game was a good learning experience. I wont belittle Baylor ball. They played a solid game and have some talent. I bet they will do pretty well.

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
Really needed to keep with Brackins and Johnson...they couldn't stop it in the 1st half, then we kind of forgot about them. No bench help this game either

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
They got us out of our game for a good stretch there in the 2nd half and it absolutely killed us. Our guys need to stay focused and on their game for a full 40 minutes.

ISU_Alum_2000

All-Star
Oct 21, 2006
Aliso Viejo, CA
That was the first BBall game I've seen us play this year (I live out of state).

Hubalek, Clark, Wes and Brackins (obviously) are all solid players, but we have NO guards, what-so-ever. Especially at the point. Garrett has OK handles, but Peterson and Haluska aren't even a threat to shoot.

What I wouldn't give for even Jacy Halloway....

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
That was the first BBall game I've seen us play this year (I live out of state).

Hubalek, Clark, Wes and Brackins (obviously) are all solid players, but we have NO guards, what-so-ever. Especially at the point. Garrett has OK handles, but Peterson and Haluska aren't even a threat to shoot.

What I wouldn't give for even Jacy Halloway....

Peterson was leading the team in 3s coming into tonight...after Brackins shower, he might not be...Haluska-> I won't even go there.

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
I do think we've begun to see and will continue to see more of Diante. He is the future of the point and is improving, but will be undersized against more physical guards this year. But all said not a terible loss tonight, disappointing not to take it to them in the second half.

Cyfan13

Dec 14, 2007
Ames
Craig had a great night shooting! Hopefully he won't have a 6 pt game on Wed, since that seems to be his M.O. I just wish he could put all of the aspects of his game together in one game. And not to take away from his 33 pts, but he had WAY too many turnovers! Wes was basically non-existent in the second half. Only 3pts all of them off free throws. Rahshon and Jiri both just didn't seem like they were into the game tonight...

We lost this game b/c of turnovers and bad coaching decisions. I like Coach Mac, but come on. His choices this game where horrible! Putting CJ in at the end of the game and taking Rahshon and Jiri out??? I know they both weren't doing that great, but they're still better than CJ. Even AT did well when he came in the first half. Why not put him in again?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Craig probably will get a Big 12 award of the week with this game. I too thought Wes did not want the ball enough in the second half.

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
With all due respect about Brackins turnovers, his game was the reason we had a chance at this game. I mean he scored basically had half our points total.

Cyfan13

Dec 14, 2007
Ames
With all due respect about Brackins turnovers, his game was the reason we had a chance at this game. I mean he scored basically had half our points total.

I realize that, but scoring goes both ways. I don't get why people don't realize that. I know he scored a lot, but you also have to take into account how many points Baylor scored off his to's.

swisher

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
I'm with you Cyfan 13. I couldn't believe CJ was in with less than 4 min. to go. Where were Jiri and Rashon?? maybe they weren't having their best game but CJ couldn't keep up and missed an easy basket. You play your starters at the end of a game not your off the bench players.

Cyfan13

Dec 14, 2007
Ames
I'm with you Cyfan 13. I couldn't believe CJ was in with less than 4 min. to go. Where were Jiri and Rashon?? maybe they weren't having their best game but CJ couldn't keep up and missed an easy basket. You play your starters at the end of a game not your off the bench players.

Thank you Swisher! Finally someone with some sense! :wink:

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Thank you Swisher! Finally someone with some sense! :wink:

Now that's more than a little unfair. If CJ hits that shot, no one says anything. He happened to airball it, and that happens to the best of them sometimes.

This decision, good or bad, did not influence the final outcome!

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

Well maybe Cyfan can ask Rahshon why he was benched and get back to us. =)