ISU to the Big East?

ksusf

Jun 11, 2010
Look at us, USF. We're down here with our closest conference mate over 14 hours away by car. We opened in 1956 and you guys opened in 1858. You started football in 1892 and we started in 1997. If we can make it work, you guys can too. In this proposed scenario you'd have 4-6 teams within driving distance. We'd still have zero.

If you guys spurn us for MWC or the damn CUSA I'll fight your AD so hard.

This is what is going to happen: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCgjQD1kvrc"]YouTube - south park-Slapping you.wmv[/ame]

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Great basketball and fair football is a better choice than fair basketball and fair football.

Maybe some year we can play NU in a bowl game.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
And I can't get excited about going to places like Fort Collins, Albuquerque, San Diego, Boise, or Cheyenne but would definitely be up for going to Louisville, Cincinnati, or even Syracuse. Your currently living in that area makes for easier travel whereas the fan in Ames or Des Moines would have much higher travel time and cost to see the team play in the MWC locations.

We all have our own personal opinions on why we think one conference is a "better" fit than the other. We're not the ones making that decision.

Premier basketball would tip my preference to Big East if it can be made to work.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
That's me. People in the AD don't like the costs involved especially for Olympic sports. It's in no way saying it's not where we'll land or that we aren't talking to the BE. Simply that they are wary of the costs at this point.

And the costs are really much better anywhere else? If our AD was really rejecting BE because of the costs of travel, they need to look at the actual distances (as put together by vmbplayer):

Big 12 as we knew it: 566 miles
Big 12 (no CU or NE): 603 miles
Big East Football only: 733 miles
Conference USA: 755 miles
Big East all schools: 794 miles
Mountain West: 875 miles

Fact is, the big 12 was the best option for travel distances, but it is no more. When you look at the next set, big east is your best option.

sdillon500

Sep 12, 2006
northern california
And the costs are really much better anywhere else? If our AD was really rejecting BE because of the costs of travel, they need to look at the actual distances (as put together by vmbplayer):

Fact is, the big 12 was the best option for travel distances, but it is no more. When you look at the next set, big east is your best option.

Exactly. Especially if you split the conference into East/West divisions, ISU is really not traveling that far. You have KU, KSU, MU, Louisville & Cincinnatti in the West Division. Basketball/Olympic sports adds Marquette, DePaul, etc.

ISU football would really only take 1-3 long trips each season, depending on home/away. Not that much different than going to Waco & Lubbock.

This NEEDS to happen. ISU landing in the big east is the only rumor that's given me any hope for the Cyclones in the past few days.

InCytful

Jun 11, 2010
Omaha, NE
Dear aTm,
Please go to the PAC-10.
Sincerely,
Iowa State, K-State and Mizzou

That would be the easiest thing and keep Kansas around with the group, but I think it's irrelevant to the discussion. SEC would assuredly take two teams, not one, and probably gets an ACC school which may lead the ACC to take a Big East school. That increases the chances of the Big East needing football schools which helps us. Still, all speculation until UT drops the bomb on the conference on Tuesday.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Exactly. Especially if you split the conference into East/West divisions, ISU is really not traveling that far. You have KU, KSU, MU, Louisville & Cincinnatti in the West Division. Basketball/Olympic sports adds Marquette, DePaul, etc.

ISU football would really only take 1-3 long trips each season, depending on home/away. Not that much different than going to Waco & Lubbock.

This NEEDS to happen. ISU landing in the big east is the only rumor that's given me any hope for the Cyclones in the past few days.

For basketball id split it into 4 subivisions, play your subdivision 2x, the other side of your division 1x (alternating years at home), and the other 2 divisions on rotations to fill out the schedule.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006

You're not telling me anything I don't agree with.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Can you tell us who told you ISU was cooling on the Big East option? Not a name, but someone in the athletic department, coach, faculty, etc? Or was this someone unattached from the university?

Eh, just someone I trust. Really don't want to say who.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I can't see how travel in the Big East is a deal breaker. There is NO other option, save the continuance of the Big 12 which would be less travel. Just doesn't make sense.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
So you dont think the Big East rumor is going to be true then?

Basically, piecing together what I've heard and read, they've explored the Big East option and will continue to, just not big fans of the potential costs involved. That isn't to say we won't land there. They are just wary of it as of now.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Basically, piecing together what I've heard and read, they've explored the Big East option and will continue to, just not big fans of the potential costs involved. That isn't to say we won't land there. They are just wary of it as of now.

I can understand that theyre not fans of the increased costs. I just hope they understand that no matter what we do, increased costs are going to be an unfortunate reality.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Makes sense. I'm sure they're doing the same for the other conference options.

I'd have to guess, just based on total package, no other conference can offer as much potential income, to offset what appear to be equal travel costs.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas

I just don't get that. Travel costs are going to increase regardless which ever conference you affiliate with unless the Big12 holds together which seems highly unlikely. If they do increase then logically the BE would make more sense based on anticipated higher revenue. Evidently there must be more to it which is why they get payed the big bucks and I type on a message board.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Makes sense. I'm sure they're doing the same for the other conference options.

I'd have to guess, just based on total package, no other conference can offer as much potential income, to offset what appear to be equal travel costs.

That's what I'd think, especially with any possible Big East Network down the road.

I think GG and JP are still working their hardest to save the Big 12. If OU and Texas went to the SEC, I don't think the Pac 10 expands past 12 and then you'd be back to an 8 team conference.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron