ISU players love T.J.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Does Georges get an extra year of eligibility? If not, I don’t really know why it matters if former players like the hire. Everyone likes the assistant coach. TJ was great in that role no doubt.
It should not be the #1 priority but it is certainly a plus if former players like the head coach, especially those still playing in the league. TJ can have those guys around the facility in the summer and hang with the players / recruits and use them as recruiting tools. Essentially like Coach Prohm did.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
I used to cover the Cyclones when T.J. was an assistant and I spoke to him hundreds of times and he's a really good guy but more importantly he loves ISU and will make this a destination job. I don't think people are factoring this aspect in when criticizing the hire.

What others might not also understand is just how much the players loved him. When I would talk to Melvin Ejim, Naz Long, Georges Niang, Diante Garrett, Matt Thomas, they all swore by him (this is why Hoiberg had to have T.J. on his staff).......he relates incredibly well to young players and really believes in his guys which I think is very important......there's nothing phony about T.J. Otzelberger....

While everyone mentions that T.J. will lock down Wisconsin, they also forget that he will likely hit up Canadian recruits pretty hard......he has lots of connections in Canada and right now Canada is exploding with talent.

Some people are also talking about a rebuild but that's not the way T.J. thinks. I feel he will recruit as hard as possible from day one and try to add the pieces to make the 2021 team highly competitive. Guards are extremely important and if we have a starting backcourt of Tyrese Hunter and Rasir Bolton that would be a great start. With all the grad transfers and the JC market, I feel he could strengthen the frontcourt also.

Either way, I personally feel he's the right guy for the job.
So, you've made a great case for why TJ would be a really good top assistant and lead recruiter. Now, what would make him stand out as HC v. others we might hire?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I used to cover the Cyclones when T.J. was an assistant and I spoke to him hundreds of times and he's a really good guy but more importantly he loves ISU and will make this a destination job. I don't think people are factoring this aspect in when criticizing the hire.

What others might not also understand is just how much the players loved him. When I would talk to Melvin Ejim, Naz Long, Georges Niang, Diante Garrett, Matt Thomas, they all swore by him (this is why Hoiberg had to have T.J. on his staff).......he relates incredibly well to young players and really believes in his guys which I think is very important......there's nothing phony about T.J. Otzelberger....

While everyone mentions that T.J. will lock down Wisconsin, they also forget that he will likely hit up Canadian recruits pretty hard......he has lots of connections in Canada and right now Canada is exploding with talent.

Some people are also talking about a rebuild but that's not the way T.J. thinks. I feel he will recruit as hard as possible from day one and try to add the pieces to make the 2021 team highly competitive. Guards are extremely important and if we have a starting backcourt of Tyrese Hunter and Rasir Bolton that would be a great start. With all the grad transfers and the JC market, I feel he could strengthen the frontcourt also.

Either way, I personally feel he's the right guy for the job.
Thanks for the post and insight from someone who actually knows TJ and former ISU players. Ignore the Debbie downers.

Reactions: Jnecker4cy

ohly2311

Jan 7, 2014
Does Georges get an extra year of eligibility? If not, I don’t really know why it matters if former players like the hire. Everyone likes the assistant coach. TJ was great in that role no doubt.
Sorry but that's not true.....you say everyone likes the assistant coach but with T.J. he was the ISU recruiting train.....McDermott was not bringing in any talent.....he even was ready to let his son go to UNI......without T.J. there is no Diante, Naz, Melvin, or Matt Thomas......all guys that had huge careers at ISU and have had strong professional careers......T.J. is also the only reason Craig Brackins even considered ISU......

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Sorry but that's not true.....you say everyone likes the assistant coach but with T.J. he was the ISU recruiting train.....McDermott was not bringing in any talent.....he even was ready to let his son go to UNI......without T.J. there is no Diante, Naz, Melvin, or Matt Thomas......all guys that had huge careers at ISU and have had strong professional careers......T.J. is also the only reason Craig Brackins even considered ISU......

I think we all get that. That’s why when he is announced there will be favorable quotes from all former players.

Now we will see if he can be a head coach at the big 12 level.

ohly2311

Jan 7, 2014
So do we need another thread pumping up TJ assuming he's going to do something that the guy that just went 0-fer in the league did extremely well?

Got news for people - Wisconsin produced 9 four and five star guys in the past 5 years. Prohm got two of them and got the best 3 star in Haliburton. You can be a great recruiter in Wisconsin, but unless you are going to beat out Duke for the Jalen Johnson types, and be better than Wisconsin and other Big 10 schools, you aren't going to get more talent out of Wisconsin on a regular basis than Prohm did.

Prohm got a top 40 guy from Canada.

That would be great if he could get such a good class to be competitive next year. But he had the top recruiting class in the MWC by a significant margin coming into this year and they aren't very good. So how will he fare in the Big 12? He can do a great job recruiting and still be toward the middle of the conference in recruiting rankings.
I don't disagree that T.J. has not shown overwhelmingly that he is a great X's and O's head coach but in year three he had set up UNLV to start making a lot of noise....he would return all of his top five scorers next season and had a great recruiting class coming in.....he was just getting things weeded out the first two seasons.....also, look at the development of his top player, Bryce Hamilton, who went from averaging 4 pts as a freshman to 16.0 and 17.9 as a sophomore and junior under T.J.

I do agree with you that Prohm got some solid players but he clearly proved he couldn't coach and develop them.....and most importantly, he couldn't win with them......I believe T.J. will win at ISU but I do understand that he still has things to prove.....

ohly2311

Jan 7, 2014
So, you've made a great case for why TJ would be a really good top assistant and lead recruiter. Now, what would make him stand out as HC v. others we might hire?
Sure, he went 70-33 in his first job, including two trips to the NCAA tournament
He also went 35-11 in conference

At UNLV, he had a winning first season and finished 2nd in league but it was a roster that he wanted to change to fit his style.....so some players left so that he could bring in his type of players

So heading into his third season next year he would have had ALL FIVE top scorers returning, including All-League player Bryce Hamilton, who will be a pro in two years, and has really developed nicely under T.J. and along with all of his top players returning, he has two-high level freshman (4-star) coming in next year and few other solid recruits......

Not bad for heading into year three with all your studs coming back and a great recruiting class......I have never said that T.J. is the greatest head coach but I do feel he'll be a good hire for ISU.....I believe in the guy.....maybe I'll be proven wrong.....hope I'm not......

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
I don't disagree that T.J. has not shown overwhelmingly that he is a great X's and O's head coach but in year three he had set up UNLV to start making a lot of noise....he would return all of his top five scorers next season and had a great recruiting class coming in.....he was just getting things weeded out the first two seasons.....also, look at the development of his top player, Bryce Hamilton, who went from averaging 4 pts as a freshman to 16.0 and 17.9 as a sophomore and junior under T.J.

I do agree with you that Prohm got some solid players but he clearly proved he couldn't coach and develop them.....and most importantly, he couldn't win with them......I believe T.J. will win at ISU but I do understand that he still has things to prove.....
Not that randoms from reddit mean anything, but UNLV fans seem very happy about TJ potentially being gone and paint a much different picture.

Reactions: agentbear

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
I don't think they would have felt that way after year three but I think Ames is a way better situation for him......just my opinion
Fair enough, probably not too many coaches really fit in both places.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Sure, he went 70-33 in his first job, including two trips to the NCAA tournament

At UNLV, he had a winning first season and finished 2nd in league but it was a roster that he wanted to change to fit his style.....so some players left so that he could bring in his type of players

So heading into his third season next year he would have had ALL FIVE top scorers returning, including All-League player Bryce Hamilton, who will be a pro in two years, and has really developed nicely under T.J. and along with all of his top players returning, he has two-high level freshman (4-star) coming in next year and few other solid recruits......

Not bad for heading into year three with all your studs coming back and a great recruiting class......I have never said that T.J. is the greatest head coach but I do feel he'll be a good hire for ISU.....I believe in the guy.....maybe I'll be proven wrong.....hope I'm not......

Look---this was the problem last time. Too many people trying too hard to sell him to us.

He's going to be the head coach.

Let him prove it instead of trying to sell us.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006

As noted by another poster, your zest for TJ appears to be much higher than actual fans of his current school. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and experiences with TJ. I just can't get over how much wishing & hoping seems to underlie the TJ hire - from his other supporters. There would be risks in most hires, but it feels like "woe is me/ISU; surely no one will want me, so let's get the guy who we know loves us".

Seems like a much bigger risk than you all see it as. The fact that he doesn't appear to be in any demand only adds to this. Doesn't mean it won't work. I hope you're right.

Last edited:

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012

Right, because everyone loves the assistant coach. You just solidified my point. The players have a special bond with their recruiter. As the head coach, TJ won’t be in that role anymore. It’s a totally different dynamic.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
To be fair, their fan base’s expectations of where they believe their program should be are a bit overblown.
To some degree, I feel like we have an opposite problem going on, though. I've read all the arguments for TJ and understand his likely ability to get on the ground running quicker, but Iowa State is in the B12 and is gonna hire a head coach who is below .500 in the Mountain West? I get that there's more to the story, but I have a hard time believing that Iowa State isn't settling a bit.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron