ISU players love T.J.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
I do think it is somewhat interesting, only Naz and Thomas have tweeted about Prohm being fired that I have seen. Of the guys Hoiberg that were on the team. Monte and Georges have tweeted a few times since Monday night.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
When is the last time we hired a coach with evidence they could win here? Johnny Orr?

You make a valid point.

But I'd say that we haven't hired a coach that was in trouble at a school a level down from Iowa State. Actually, Wayne Morgan had been fired at Long Beach State or some school out in California before he went to Syracuse or after he was at Syracuse. McDermott and Prohm had been very successful at their schools. Hoiberg was a complete question mark.

None of this means that TJ won't be successful. But there are legit question marks.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I do think it is somewhat interesting, only Naz and Thomas have tweeted about Prohm being fired that I have seen. Of the guys Hoiberg that were on the team. Monte and Georges have tweeted a few times since Monday night.

Monte was fairly close with Prohm. I've always gotten the feeling that Georges wasn't. I think Georges will be VERY happy with TJ.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You make a valid point.

But I'd say that we haven't hired a coach that was in trouble at a school a level down from Iowa State. Actually, Wayne Morgan had been fired at Long Beach State or some school out in California before he went to Syracuse or after he was at Syracuse. McDermott and Prohm had been very successful at their schools. Hoiberg was a complete question mark.

None of this means that TJ won't be successful. But there are legit question marks.
“In trouble” lol TJ’s had one bad season that happened to be a pandemic year.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I used to cover the Cyclones when T.J. was an assistant and I spoke to him hundreds of times and he's a really good guy but more importantly he loves ISU and will make this a destination job. I don't think people are factoring this aspect in when criticizing the hire.

What others might not also understand is just how much the players loved him. When I would talk to Melvin Ejim, Naz Long, Georges Niang, Diante Garrett, Matt Thomas, they all swore by him (this is why Hoiberg had to have T.J. on his staff).......he relates incredibly well to young players and really believes in his guys which I think is very important......there's nothing phony about T.J. Otzelberger....

While everyone mentions that T.J. will lock down Wisconsin, they also forget that he will likely hit up Canadian recruits pretty hard......he has lots of connections in Canada and right now Canada is exploding with talent.

Some people are also talking about a rebuild but that's not the way T.J. thinks. I feel he will recruit as hard as possible from day one and try to add the pieces to make the 2021 team highly competitive. Guards are extremely important and if we have a starting backcourt of Tyrese Hunter and Rasir Bolton that would be a great start. With all the grad transfers and the JC market, I feel he could strengthen the frontcourt also.

Either way, I personally feel he's the right guy for the job.

So do we need another thread pumping up TJ assuming he's going to do something that the guy that just went 0-fer in the league did extremely well?

Got news for people - Wisconsin produced 9 four and five star guys in the past 5 years. Prohm got two of them and got the best 3 star in Haliburton. You can be a great recruiter in Wisconsin, but unless you are going to beat out Duke for the Jalen Johnson types, and be better than Wisconsin and other Big 10 schools, you aren't going to get more talent out of Wisconsin on a regular basis than Prohm did.

Prohm got a top 40 guy from Canada.

That would be great if he could get such a good class to be competitive next year. But he had the top recruiting class in the MWC by a significant margin coming into this year and they aren't very good. So how will he fare in the Big 12? He can do a great job recruiting and still be toward the middle of the conference in recruiting rankings.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Not sure I can dismiss a pandemic year as an ISU football fan. I mean not even a little.
When it’s the one year you go below .500, I’d say there could be a correlation. They’re also in completely different situations. ISU was a veteran football team who was likely going to have a great year regardless of this virus. UNLV was the complete opposite.

Look around the country and find a great team this year that’s extremely young...I can’t really think of any.

Reactions: Urbandale2013

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Then it will likely be fine. My opinion is that I wasn't impressed with his time in Vegas. My opinion isn't worth a whole lot though.
I think that if this year would’ve been a good year for him, a lot more people would be very excited. He was meh this year and now only some people are excited.

Last year I don’t really think carries much weight as it was his first year. I also don’t think he fits well there at all. He’s a Midwest guy through and through.

Completely respect your opinion though.

• Agree
Reactions: HouClone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Not sure I can dismiss a pandemic year as an ISU football fan. I mean not even a little.
You might have noticed the Louisiana game.

The thing about this year in sports is, teams with strong cores of of experience coming back flourished. Teams relying on newcomers? Look at the likes of the Duke, North Carolina and Kentucky basketball teams.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You might have noticed the Louisiana game.

The thing about this year in sports is, teams with strong cores of of experience coming back flourished. Teams relying on newcomers? Look at the likes of the Duke, North Carolina and Kentucky basketball teams.
Hey UNC is in the tourney!

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Monte was fairly close with Prohm. I've always gotten the feeling that Georges wasn't. I think Georges will be VERY happy with TJ.

Does Georges get an extra year of eligibility? If not, I don’t really know why it matters if former players like the hire. Everyone likes the assistant coach. TJ was great in that role no doubt.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron